Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Film director Michael Winner has died. RIP
Testing Accessibility

Aristo 60

Quote from: ziggy90 on January 19, 2013, 01:55:39 PM
Sorry to hear this news, RIP. I'd say the Wire had plenty of similar characters (little acting experience). The second best tv series of all time and Prop Joe was an integral part of it.

The second best?

glens abu

Inez McCormack,trade unionist and civil rights activist.RIP

All of a Sludden

Quote from: ziggysego on January 21, 2013, 02:45:43 PM
Film director Michael Winner has died. RIP

Calm down dear.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Declan

QuoteInez McCormack,trade unionist and civil rights activist.RIP
Had the pleasure of meeting her a few times - Very committed lady. RIP

Orior

Quote from: Declan on January 22, 2013, 11:26:07 AM

How come I have lived through the troubles and never heard of this lady?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

5 Sams

Quote from: Orior on January 22, 2013, 12:24:48 PM

You must have had no telly in the house then Orior cos she was never off it during the 70s and 80s.
The Aristocrat Years

glens abu

Yes a very special woman,who did unbelievable work but didn't hog the limelight. 

glens abu

Dont understand how you haven't,many tributes paid to her today from around the world,Hillary Clinton, Mary Robinson and this from Gerry Adams

'Fearless opponent of injustice and a determined champion of civil rights, equality, women's and workers' rights, and fair employment'
SINN FÉIN President Gerry Adams TD has extended his deepest sympathy and condolences to the family of civil rights and trade union activist Inez McCormack, who passed away on Monday.

Inez McCormack was, from 1999-2001, the first President of the ICTU since its formation in 1959. She was the first women full-time official of the National Union of Public Employees, 1976-90; became the first woman Regional Secretary of UNISON in 1993; was the first woman elected to the Northern Committee of Congress, 1980; and its first woman Chair, 1984-85.

Gerry Adams said:

"Inez McCormack was a fearless opponent of injustice and a determined champion of civil rights, equality, women's and workers' rights, and fair employment.

"For decades, Inez was a tireless and effective advocate from her days in the civil rights movement in the 1960s and through her years as a trade union leader. She was particularly effective in the USA in support of the MacBride campaign for fair employment in the Six Counties.

"She was a passionate and articulate campaigner who helped place equality at the heart of the Good Friday Agreement.

"Inez devoted her life to fighting for the oppressed and disadvantaged. She had a deserved international reputation as a human rights activist.

"On behalf of Sinn Féin, I want to extend my sincerest condolences to her husband Vincent, her daughter Anne, son-in-law Mark and grandchildren Maisie and Jamie."

ziggy90

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 21, 2013, 02:57:05 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on January 19, 2013, 01:55:39 PM
Sorry to hear this news, RIP. I'd say the Wire had plenty of similar characters (little acting experience). The second best tv series of all time and Prop Joe was an integral part of it.

The second best?

A close call but it's the Sopranos for me.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Lecale2

Odd.

Declan

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson paid tribute to former Celtic player Seán Fallon at his funeral today.

Fallon died aged 90 last week, leaving a legacy which included his time as assistant manager to Jock Stein when the club became the first British team to lift the European Cup in 1967.

Hundreds of mourners attended his funeral service in Glasgow, including Ferguson and famous Celtic faces such as manager Neil Lennon and current and former players.

Ferguson addressed the congregation at the Church of Christ the King at Kings Park, Glasgow, to pay tribute to "a great man".

He said: "I think it's very difficult for people who are successful to remain humble, it's a touch of greatness. Seán always had that greatness.

"Through his background, his upbringing, his Irishness, that breeds humility and also loyalty; he would never let you down."

Although Ferguson was a supporter of Rangers, he formed a strong friendship with Fallon as he built his career as a coach and a manager.

He praised him for his role as assistant manager to Stein and said he was talented in the position, which required him to "get to the heart of the dressingroom, make sure you know what's going on and you can help in the way that the manager sometimes cannot help".

Ferguson also spoke of Fallon's skill in developing young talent and working with Stein to create arguably the greatest Celtic team of all time.

He said: "That was the structure that I think helped Celtic become great and to become the first club in Britain the lift the European Cup."

Among the mourners were former Celtic player Kenny Dalglish and Tommy Gemmell, who scored against Inter Milan when they won the European Cup in 1967.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has hailed Fallon, insisting his Celtic Park legacy continues to churn out stars of the future.

Nally Stand

The Pat Finucane Centre quoting RTÉ as saying that Dolours Price has died
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

glens abu

Yeah died today in Dublin aged 61

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come