The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Agree, I started watching it on BBC this week.  Great stuff.  Incidentally I think the BBC scheduling is BBC2 @11:20pm Mon-Fri for the next 12 weeks.  Hooked already and have set recorder to "tape" entire series.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Main Street

Cold Turkey until Monday night

Minder

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 04, 2009, 09:39:29 PM
I hope I'm not pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes but I can't get anything from the Wire.

Don't get me wrong, I like US drama shows, I have watched and continue to watch quite a few, some lightweight and some tougher, NCIS, the Law & Order franchise, the CSI franchise, Cold Case, NYPD Blue, Homicide Life on the Street and The Shield.  However, I can't get enthusiastic about the Wire.  I don't think it is as good as Homicide or The Shield.

Just an opinion.
You are sick
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

I hope I'm not pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes but I can't get anything from the Wire.

Don't get me wrong, I like US drama shows, I have watched and continue to watch quite a few, some lightweight and some tougher, NCIS, the Law & Order franchise, the CSI franchise, Cold Case, NYPD Blue, Homicide Life on the Street and The Shield.  However, I can't get enthusiastic about the Wire.  I don't think it is as good as Homicide or The Shield.

Just an opinion.

You need help
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

He just needs to appreciate the need sometimes to go for goal.

Eoghan Mag

Don't mind them at all Take your Points this show does not appeal to me either. I hated the Sopranos too. Its all down to a matter of opinion.

Main Street

Opinion based on
acting? plots? script? scenes? characters? realism?

Personally I wouldn't trade one Omar for the entire Soprano cast :)

A few opinions may differ on whether this is the most successfully ambitious tv drama series ever produced.

Croí na hÉireann

Just an opinion.

Stick with it TYP, your opinion should be somewhat revised this time next week. As for that man who hates the Sopranos, go wash out your mouth...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blewuporstuffed

just sort of dipped in and out of the sopranos, so just thought it was ok.loved the episode in the snow (?) rite nuf
the wire however is probably the best tv drama ever.
takes a wile to grab you, but by midway through the first series you will be hooked.
by far the best cop show i've seen, gritty and realistic but with a dark humour too, great stuff
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

C_Berg_316

just watched the first episode off it there last night - it didn't have me in that mood where you cant wait for the next episode in the way that the pilot of lost (thought look how that turned out)  :D, Prison Break or Heroes did although in saying that I'm not going to give a full opinion on it until Ive watched the complete series.
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

Main Street

The Wire is a slow enough burn.
Watching the first episode again the other day it struck me just how much they understated everything in that episode and stayed laid back.
There was no obvious pressure to pitch the series or manipulate your sense of curiosity.

The GAA

Just finished the lot. absolutely loved it. so diappointed there are no more. plenty of scope for more but i suppose they can be proud ofwhat they produced.

some of the best charachter writing you are ever likely to come across. This show was all about the charachters.

McNulty, bunk, kima, lestor, rawls, daniels, avon, stringer, marlowe, butch, omar, body, michael, D, Slim Charles, Prop Joe, clay (sheeeeeeeit), Spiros, bubbles, weebay, Jay homicide sergeant), even valcek.

have to say i hated the guy who played carcetti. couldn't act for shit. didn't like Bunny either.

Out of all those, my favourites were bubbles, bunk, omar, stringer and body (this game is rigged).

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: The GAA on April 17, 2009, 10:33:02 AM
Just finished the lot. absolutely loved it. so diappointed there are no more. plenty of scope for more but i suppose they can be proud ofwhat they produced.

some of the best charachter writing you are ever likely to come across. This show was all about the charachters.

McNulty, bunk, kima, lestor, rawls, daniels, avon, stringer, marlowe, butch, omar, body, michael, D, Slim Charles, Prop Joe, clay (sheeeeeeeit), Spiros, bubbles, weebay, Jay homicide sergeant), even valcek.

have to say i hated the guy who played carcetti. couldn't act for shit. didn't like Bunny either.

Out of all those, my favourites were bubbles, bunk, omar, stringer and body (this game is rigged).

thought the guy that played bubbles was great, had the junkie thing down to a tee.
bunk was great for comedy value and Omars character was superb.
Never liked Daniels, dunno if it was the character or the way the guy played him but couldnt stand the sight of him!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Katchit

Finished it last night, fck knows what I'm going to do in the evenings now, best show I've ever watched bar none.

Katchit

Also thought D'Angelo was very good, Wire 6 please.