1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 29, 2017, 02:56:01 PM
After much googling I found the rhyme I was referring too "13 gone and not forgotten...." you can fill in the blanks.

i remember that.

Avondhu star

Quote from: longballin on November 29, 2017, 03:37:58 PM
After much googling I found the rhyme I was referring too "13 gone and not forgotten...." you can fill in the blanks.

i remember that.

Childish waffle recited by scum of low or nil intelligence
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Therealdonald

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 29, 2017, 06:14:00 PM

i remember that.

Avondhu I have recited above rhyme a fair few times, and I have recited some more, I can categorically state that I am of neither low intelligence nor am I scum. So I would appreciate if you kept the name calling to yourself.

T Fearon

Quote from: lurganblue on November 28, 2017, 12:27:30 PM
I grew up in a house that ate their dinner in the living room while watching the 6 o'clock news.  Nothing was really shielded to my young eyes in terms of news coverage.  In saying that though i cant think of a specific news story that stood out. Each day was deaths, punishment beatings and bombs.

In the mid 70s,I was starting my soccer career (which ultimately fell well short of my objectives to play in the European Cup) as the baby of the side in a Lurgan adult team.I recall on the minibus to an away game one of the lads commenting on a TV news programme about Biafra which featured women and young children running about with guns.Another team mate retorted "FFS you see that all the time in Kilwilkie!" 😂😂😂😂

OakleafCounty

If the world cup in 1990 doesn't count the it was the outbreak of the first Gulf War. I think I was 6 or 7. Locally it was the Shankhill bomb and a picture of a wee girl that was murdered in it has never left me. Then a week later the Rising Sun shooting which my mum grew up beside and knew five of the people murdered.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 29, 2017, 06:22:50 PM

i remember that.

Avondhu I have recited above rhyme a fair few times, and I have recited some more, I can categorically state that I am of neither low intelligence nor am I scum. So I would appreciate if you kept the name calling to yourself.
Anyone who actually thinks that reciting that rubbish serves any purposes surely ticks the scum box and low intelligence box.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 30, 2017, 01:28:27 PM

i remember that.

Anyone who actually thinks that reciting that rubbish serves any purposes surely ticks the scum box and low intelligence box.

And you're qualified to come to this conclusion how?? Lick the back of them Avondhu.

Tubberman

Think it was the Eniskillen bombing in my case.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

whitey

Avondhu star

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 30, 2017, 02:43:24 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 30, 2017, 01:28:27 PM

i remember that.

And you're qualified to come to this conclusion how?? Lick the back of them Avondhu.

Many years watching bar stool republicans

Eamonnca1

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 30, 2017, 09:52:30 AM
If the world cup in 1990 doesn't count the it was the outbreak of the first Gulf War. I think I was 6 or 7. Locally it was the Shankhill bomb and a picture of a wee girl that was murdered in it has never left me. Then a week later the Rising Sun shooting which my mum grew up beside and knew five of the people murdered.

In my day "the Gulf war" was the Iran-Iraq war. When Desert Storm started people were calling it the "second Gulf War." Shame how the Iran-Iraq war seems to have disappeared from memory.

Jim Bob

Biafra appeal. We collected money in school  for the 'Black babies' as they were known. Late 60s

trentoneill15

9/11. I am in my 20s so I don't remember the war in Ulster, all the stuff I grew up with was mainly politicians guldering at each other in Stormont. My father always talks about the war in Ulster, people seem to think that war was something foreign pre 1969, they act as if they are the only ones who experienced war but Ulster has been a hot bed of conflict since medieval times, the only difference is that video cameras existed during this war which makes it more famous.

Avondhu star

The attempted assassination of Mr J R Ewing in Dallas

AZOffaly