China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 06:34:19 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 06:25:28 PM
No harm MR2 but I haven't seen anything like that on this thread. People are genuinely worried at their poor response, including many many of their own citizens.

No harm to you but what does that actually achieve? Everyone knows the shit storm that Boris's government has went with but repeatedly stating it on here won't change that, but if it makes you feel good to bring it up, then charge on!

Can we not deal with how things are now without the bashing? I've tried to educate family friends work colleagues, it doesn't matter as people will continue to carry on regardless until it's forced.
Firstly what does any of your posts on here attempt to achieve? They are just a constant stream across multiple topics of "it's not that bad, what are people moaning about" Like some aul fella in the pub piping up in to a conversation he knows little about  ;D

Secondly, everyone clearly doesn't know the shit storm that is coming. That's part of the issue. You have actually stated that yourself, so that's a bit contradictive.

Thirdly stating it does help. I've seen people on this very thread take it more seriously when presented with the information, and I include myself on that. I have managed to convince British friends and family by stating it. And it certainly doesn't make me feel good. The very opposite in fact.

Lastly your partly right, for some people it won't sink in until measures are increased and there is greater restrictions in place, but I don't think people should just sit back and say nothing especially if they think it might help. But sure look if it makes you feel good just posting a way that's it all just a
waste of time then charge on sure. I hope you and your family stay safe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardtole on March 21, 2020, 06:37:11 PM
I certainly wasn't point scoring, I'm just very concerned about the political reaction to the coronavirus in the uk and particularly the north.

It was in everyones interest to treat this as a 32 county problem. But because Leo closed the schools and gave Stormont little or no heads up, the dup dug their heels in and refused to follow the lead of Dublin.

It's so bloody childish, infuriating and just when your hoping the north is turning a corner and possibly making some progress the dup cant even stomach taking advice from the w.h.o because their British scientists know better than the scientists in the rest of the world.

The arrogance sickens me, there will be a heavy price to pay for these acts of petulance and it is our families, friends and neighbours who pay it.

In fairness to Fine Gael ( and I certainly couldn't be accused of supporting them), they have handled this a lot more decisively than their counterparts in Stormont and the UK.

They closed down the St Patrick's festivities which caused Dublin traders many millions, whilst Cheltenham and other events went ahead in the uk.

There are other examples too, but I'm angry the way the tories tried initially to treat the coronavirus case as an economic problem rather than a humanitarian problem.

I really hope I'm wrong, I'd be delighted to be wrong, but listening to front line Doctors, Consultants etc it is frightening the picture they are painting and a lot of it could have been prevented.

None of it could have been prevented unless they locked down from when the first case happened in China!

Certainly reduced numbers but now Ireland has this virus forever, it won't go away it'll be hopefully a vaccinated virus but it's with us now. Countries actually need to look into why it happened and start at source, fix or put resources into reducing these outbreaks.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 06:51:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 06:34:19 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 06:25:28 PM
No harm MR2 but I haven't seen anything like that on this thread. People are genuinely worried at their poor response, including many many of their own citizens.

No harm to you but what does that actually achieve? Everyone knows the shit storm that Boris's government has went with but repeatedly stating it on here won't change that, but if it makes you feel good to bring it up, then charge on!

Can we not deal with how things are now without the bashing? I've tried to educate family friends work colleagues, it doesn't matter as people will continue to carry on regardless until it's forced.
Firstly what does any of your posts on here attempt to achieve? They are just a constant stream across multiple topics of "it's not that bad, what are people moaning about" Like some aul fella in the pub piping up in to a conversation he knows little about  ;D

Secondly, everyone clearly doesn't know the shit storm that is coming. That's part of the issue. You have actually stated that yourself, so that's a bit contradictive.

Thirdly stating it does help. I've seen people on this very thread take it more seriously when presented with the information, and I include myself on that. I have managed to convince British friends and family by stating it. And it certainly doesn't make me feel good. The very opposite in fact.

Lastly your partly right, for some people it won't sink in until measures are increased and there is greater restrictions in place, but I don't think people should just sit back and say nothing especially if they think it might help. But sure look if it makes you feel good just posting a way that's it all just a
waste of time then charge on sure. I hope you and your family stay safe.

And your family too, hopefully no one gets it, unfortunately that's not the case going on the prediction.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

102 new cases today in the 26.
13 in total in ICUs.

Fleadh Náisiúnta in Mullingar called off.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

quit yo jibbajabba

Think it was 53/5 in the Uk today chaps the 3 mustve been a misprint

armaghniac

Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 06:37:24 PM
Taiwan and Singapore are slightly different as they are extremely densely populated places, and they have a long established practice surrounding contact tracing. I think someone actualy posted a great article on this thread. Ireland are trying to pile a lot resources in to this now and it is helping, but eventually it will become of no use once the numbers pile up.

Taiwan and Singapore show that if you pile in the resources,  then the numbers do not pile up because the contacts are told to isolate.
The ROI has hundreds of people contact tracing and is adding more. The testing so far shows about 6% of people tested with the virus, even though those  tested were all people who were contacts or had a probable symptom. New testing is visibly coming on stream. so things are not wholly out of control yet. Now there are measures mentioned in the article I posted last night which we do not do, notably temperature testing. Someone with a fever, howsoever caused, would not be allowed into a building in Singapore or even on the metro. Now this less effective with Covid19 because you can transmit the virus before the fever, but everything helps.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 21, 2020, 07:08:10 PM
I'm not sure what happened there. I definitely saw 3, then 33 then 56.

manfromdelmonte

Are they doing any contact tracing in the UK?

Milltown Row2

North Korea has it sorted! Just block your borders, full stop!  :-X

square_ball

Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 07:33:08 PM

I've seen that in the last week. It seems to update in stages. I thought once updated that was that for the day but seemingly not.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2020, 06:55:02 PM
None of it could have been prevented unless they locked down from when the first case happened in China

That's not true - if they had enforced a 2 week quarantine on anyone coming into the country from any other country with the virus, then they'd have kept a big lid on 90% of it.
i usse an speelchekor

HiMucker

Quote from: square_ball on March 21, 2020, 09:01:29 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 21, 2020, 07:33:08 PM

I've seen that in the last week. It seems to update in stages. I thought once updated that was that for the day but seemingly not.
Good man square ball, I did start to think that the excess drink in self isolation was getting to me lol

armaghniac

Some interesting data in this paper, he text is largely nonsense. The data includes that the virus only does well in a temperate zone, so Vietnam, Singapore is too hot and perhaps Russia is a bit chilly for it to thrive. This theory would suggest that Italy and Spain will get relief in the summer.

There is also this chart . Being on the left of this  chart is good and top left is best (lots  of tests  and few cases)

Ireland is kind of in the middle.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B