Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

What can you say except well done Limerick.
In all honesty it would have been daylight robbery if Joe had managed to equalise with that last free.
Limerick probably should have won that by a comfortable margin.

Minder

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 19, 2018, 08:24:29 PM
Time to put Duignan out to pasture as well

Himself and Marty were insufferable

Was at the game so hadnt the pleasure of hearing Marty but not sure how he keeps getting these gigs
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

Quote from: Minder on August 19, 2018, 08:33:39 PM

Was at the game so hadnt the pleasure of hearing Marty but not sure how he keeps getting these gigs

So what you are saying is you want Ger Canning back?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on August 19, 2018, 07:52:09 PM
Disappointing to lose but Limerick deserved it and what a day for them. Delighted for people like Richie Bennis and Ciaran Carey.
In the last 25 years Offaly, Clare, Wexford, Tipp, Cork, KK, Galway and now Limerick have won. That is a reasonable spread.

Only Waterford are missing from the mainstream hurling strongholds.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GaillimhIarthair

Well done Limerick, thoroughly deserved.  We shouldn't have been within an assess roar of them towards the end.  Enjoy the celebrations!!

Orchard park

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 19, 2018, 09:01:42 PM
Well done Limerick, thoroughly deserved.  We shouldn't have been within an assess roar of them towards the end.  Enjoy the celebrations!!

Fair dues a very honest assessment from the defeated side

Bord na Mona man

What should be a treasure trove piece of tv for Limerick fans to rewatch for years to come must be surely tarnished by Marty's squawking for the closing stages.

He sounds like he's been tickled and gelded all at the same time!

Bord na Mona man

It again shows how freakish Brian Cody was in keeping Kilkenny coming back for more every year, desire unquenched.
All year Galway have been patchy and 5% off where they were last year.
Two in a row is beyond most counties because most are happy to win an All Ireland rather than build a legacy.

ned

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2018, 08:48:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 19, 2018, 07:52:09 PM
Disappointing to lose but Limerick deserved it and what a day for them. Delighted for people like Richie Bennis and Ciaran Carey.
In the last 25 years Offaly, Clare, Wexford, Tipp, Cork, KK, Galway and now Limerick have won. That is a reasonable spread.

Only Waterford are missing from the mainstream hurling strongholds.

And Antrim............ Oh well maybe not!
Sky coverage was good by the way, although Nicky English does his best to sound if it's the end of the world.
Scenes at the end were brilliant, the pure ecstasy was hair tingling.

AQMP

Limerick clearly the better team in a match riddled with errors, poor shooting, poor passing and skill wise the quality was low (as was the refereeing for the most part).  The game was rescued by the excitement in the last 12-15 mins.  Glad for Limerick, it would have been devastating for them had they even drawn a game they should have won by 10.

Listening to Marty Morrissey would put years on ye.

johnnycool

Quote from: AQMP on August 20, 2018, 09:43:24 AM
Limerick clearly the better team in a match riddled with errors, poor shooting, poor passing and skill wise the quality was low (as was the refereeing for the most part).  The game was rescued by the excitement in the last 12-15 mins.  Glad for Limerick, it would have been devastating for them had they even drawn a game they should have won by 10.

Listening to Marty Morrissey would put years on ye.

That would be my assessment of the game as well, not a great game, but you can't have it all and Limerick won't care a jot.

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 19, 2018, 09:39:24 PM
It again shows how freakish Brian Cody was in keeping Kilkenny coming back for more every year, desire unquenched.
All year Galway have been patchy and 5% off where they were last year.
Two in a row is beyond most counties because most are happy to win an All Ireland rather than build a legacy.

Brian managed some of the greatest hurlers to play the game in the modern era but he was ably assisted by a very weak Leinster championship for large parts of it and time to peak for the AI semi-final with big gaps of three weeks between games.

This years championship was a pure slog with teams playing 7 games in less time to win the AI.

Galways inability to bring reinforcements from the bench when it was plain to see some lads weren't fully fit was their downfall.
Big panels of 20+ hurlers able to impact the game are essential now.

AZOffaly

I tend to agree with that. I was afraid that the final was going to end up being a damp squib that the championship definitely didn't merit. My fears about Limerick's shooting came true, but I didn't expect Galway to suffer from the same malaise. That saved Limerick. The last 15 minutes rescued the game, and gave the championship the climax it deserved at the end.

There was one moment that summed up the 'new' Limerick attitude, and it happened very early in the game, maybe 2 or 3 minutes in. Cian Lynch won a ball on the ground, via a chop pickup (where you chop the sliotar into the ground and it comes up into your hand). I thought it was audacious and in the first few minutes I think it showed Limerick felt they were comfortable there. The fact he did it again in the last couple of minutes when the fat was was in the fire was unreal.

re Marty, he's too scripted. He has these monologues ready to go, and by hook or by crook he's going to get them in. He started on the Limerick victory speech way too early. Talking about Ballybrown, Kilmallock and ''Downtown Patrickswell" (FFS). I said to my wife that he was a bit early bringing out that speech. And as for the 'Linger' stuff, painful and forced. Marty's introduction on radio to the final last year was very good. It made the hair on your neck stand up. The problem there is it went viral, and I think Marty now feels everything has to have a 'moment'. Yesterday was a day when a few well placed words would have been enough as the emotion was obvious. but he had to go full blown soliloquy and he gilded the lily.

Farrandeelin

I don't think Marty mentioned South Galway once, which must be a first when commentating on Galway hurling matches.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spuds

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2018, 10:12:04 AM
I tend to agree with that. I was afraid that the final was going to end up being a damp squib that the championship definitely didn't merit. My fears about Limerick's shooting came true, but I didn't expect Galway to suffer from the same malaise. That saved Limerick. The last 15 minutes rescued the game, and gave the championship the climax it deserved at the end.

There was one moment that summed up the 'new' Limerick attitude, and it happened very early in the game, maybe 2 or 3 minutes in. Cian Lynch won a ball on the ground, via a chop pickup (where you chop the sliotar into the ground and it comes up into your hand). I thought it was audacious and in the first few minutes I think it showed Limerick felt they were comfortable there. The fact he did it again in the last couple of minutes when the fat was was in the fire was unreal.

re Marty, he's too scripted. He has these monologues ready to go, and by hook or by crook he's going to get them in. He started on the Limerick victory speech way too early. Talking about Ballybrown, Kilmallock and ''Downtown Patrickswell" (FFS). I said to my wife that he was a bit early bringing out that speech. And as for the 'Linger' stuff, painful and forced. Marty's introduction on radio to the final last year was very good. It made the hair on your neck stand up. The problem there is it went viral, and I think Marty now feels everything has to have a 'moment'. Yesterday was a day when a few well placed words would have been enough as the emotion was obvious. but he had to go full blown soliloquy and he gilded the lily.
Incredible belief in his own ability to do that when possession was so important. GearĂ³id Hegarty uses this regularly also but was relatively quiet yesterday.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Duine Eile

Galway were a team running on fumes yesterday and had no viable options to bring in really, Burke and Flynn were always going to come on but apart from them the bench was very bare. The job for Galway for the winter is to find those few extra players, Fintan Burke was immense for the u21s this year, I'm sure we'll see him and a few more brought in for the league. Disappointing to lose but losing to a team like Limerick who were in a similar position to ourselves last year makes it a bit easier. Well done Limerick!