Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 08:59:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2018, 08:38:52 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 08:23:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2018, 08:04:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 07:49:46 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 11, 2018, 07:33:37 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 11, 2018, 07:16:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2018, 07:12:50 PM
For all the Galway hype, you could arguably place them as the 5th best team in Ireland.

2 to 6 could probably beat each other on any given day. Don't think there is much difference between that bunch of sides.

I'd say they're probably number 2 at the moment. We'll know better after the final.
In reality Mayo are still number 2 and probably Kerry number 3, maybe Tyrone. Galway, Monaghan and Donegal are 5, 6 and 7 in no particular order.
No the reality is those two sides are in transition and hope to become number 2 and 3 in the years ahead again.
Knockout football can produce surprise results.

Galway are improving for sure but their ceiling is still lower than Mayo's. Mayo would have run Dublin a lot closer than Galway did today.

Tyrone went out to Laois in Round 2 of the qualifiers in 2006 but it didn't mean Tyrone had suddenly gone away. Meath went out to Offaly in the first round of the Leinster championship in 2000 but they hadn't gone away either. Fermanagh beat Armagh in 2004 but it didn't mean Fermanagh were a better team than Armagh, they just were very slightly better on a given day. Donegal were completely thrashed by Mayo in 2013 but it didn't mean Donegal were no hopers.

Repeat ad infinitum.
None of those sides was in transition like Mayo and Kerry are now. They were caught on the hop and came back stronger the next year. Mayo have been dicing with death a few years now and Kerry were knocked out of the championship in a group system if they remain a top 3 team then they should have finished 1st or 2nd in their group a group that didn't have Dublin or Tyrone in it.
Are you seriously telling me you think Mayo 2018 or Kerry 2018 would have surrendered as meekly as Galway did today?

Not. A. Chance.

Kerry without a doubt they were a shambles in defence. Mayo as pointed out already had so many issues going on that they wouldn't be competitive v Dublin this year either. Dublin's lack of competition has got even weaker this year with Kerry and Mayo in transition.

Issues being that the squad isn't good enough
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

ONeill

Galway had a real purple 5 mins but missed 2-3 in that time. You just can't do that.

The cameras never really caught it but it looked like straight after the Comer goal Cluxton hit a stinker, leaving whoever it was one on one with him and the Galway player Just kicked it straight at his legs. Then the pen. Could have been 3-4 to 0-4.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Fhairche Abu

Lot of talk here about sides that didn't make the semi-finals. Lads Mayo were nowhere this year, who did they beat in a big game? Their overall competitive match record for 2018 is terrible and they are very lucky to be still in Division 1 next year. I appreciate that they have the hearts of the neutrals but there was nothing from them this year to suggest that they could replicate their AI performances from 16/17 against Dublin, a brutal injury list compounded the fact that they don't have a squad to match the quality of their first 15.
Outside of Clifford, Kerry were muck at the business end, if they couldn't beat Monaghan or Galway how were they going to beat Dublin? By virtue of the jersey and history? Spare me. Donegal are more overhyped by people outside of their county than Galway, they've beaten nothing.

Dublin are a fantastic team, when they put the boot down in the second half we had nothing in response.
I didn't think that Galway played all that well today which is the most disappointing thing, we had plenty of chances in the first half to put scores on the board, the forwards didn't perform, the shot execution and selection was not good enough, Armstrong had a nightmare, Brannigan was shot after the peno miss. Dublin adjusted at ht and snuffed out the likes of Burke who was a big threat in the opening 35.

We in Galway need to face the hard facts from what has been a relatively decent year, there's some good progress made but there are clear issues in terms of squad depth, chance conversion ratio by the forwards, Galway clearly don't have the legs yet for a full throttle Division One campaign straight through to August, they don't have multiple game plans etc.
It would be a lot to expect all these issues to be taken care of in our first year back in Division One but nonetheless I hope that there are improvements that will be made in 2019.

Whatever criticism the team and management ship in the wake of this beating they have done a lot for Galway this year and deserve respect and thanks from the supporters,

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 11, 2018, 09:29:32 PM
Quote from: Gmac on August 11, 2018, 09:08:05 PM
Lots of teams just seem to fade away and look like they are not even trying in the second half of matches against Dublin , I'm sure they are trying but they are either out on their feet out of ideas or the dubs slip through the gears and nonchalantly just put them away , very impressive.

It's a psychological thing. This aura has been created by the invincible dubs and it eats at the mind of the opposition. We need a team to come along who does not care one iota what Dublin have done in the last few years and who truly believe they can beat any team on their day. Dublin didn't like it when Tyrone went gung ho in omagh and on another day could have been caught.
That's why I think Tyrone are a much better bet than Monaghan to put it up to Dublin in the final.

Psychologically, I don't think Monaghan will be able for Dublin.

For me Tyrone have a much better chance of matching up in that regard - the county's recent history is based on not respecting reputations.

They caught a tarter last year but there's a serious culture of professionalism in Tyrone and success is demanded. That belief, or fear or failure (in the best possible sense of the phrase) has got them through some really sticky spots this year.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2018, 09:37:47 PM
Galway had a real purple 5 mins but missed 2-3 in that time. You just can't do that.

The cameras never really caught it but it looked like straight after the Comer goal Cluxton hit a stinker, leaving whoever it was one on one with him and the Galway player Just kicked it straight at his legs. Then the pen. Could have been 3-4 to 0-4.

I've said this about Cluxton because he always does it, look at a lot of the big games in the last few years. Pressure on.. Cluxton buckled
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

lenny

Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 09:45:21 PM
Lots of teams just seem to fade away and look like they are not even trying in the second half of matches against Dublin , I'm sure they are trying but they are either out on their feet out of ideas or the dubs slip through the gears and nonchalantly just put them away , very impressive.

It's a psychological thing. This aura has been created by the invincible dubs and it eats at the mind of the opposition. We need a team to come along who does not care one iota what Dublin have done in the last few years and who truly believe they can beat any team on their day. Dublin didn't like it when Tyrone went gung ho in omagh and on another day could have been caught.
That's why I think Tyrone are a much better bet than Monaghan to put it up to Dublin in the final.

For me Tyrone have a much better chance of matching up in that regard - the county's recent history is based on not respecting reputations.

They caught a tarter last year but there's a serious culture of professionalism in Tyrone and success is demanded. That belief, or fear or failure (in the best possible sense of the phrase) has got them through some really sticky spots this year.

Recent history, that's a bit of a stretch. It's 10 years since they beat a big team in the championship.

sid waddell

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Lot of talk here about sides that didn't make the semi-finals. Lads Mayo were nowhere this year, who did they beat in a big game? Their overall competitive match record for 2018 is terrible and they are very lucky to be still in Division 1 next year. I appreciate that they have the hearts of the neutrals but there was nothing from them this year to suggest that they could replicate their AI performances from 16/17 against Dublin, a brutal injury list compounded the fact that they don't have a squad to match the quality of their first 15.
What did Mayo show in July 2016 or July 2017 to suggest they'd be challenging for the All-Ireland?

James Kielt had one kick of the ball to eliminate them in Castlebar last year and had he converted that free, Mayo would have been out, and people would have been saying "Mayo were at nothing this year".

In 2009 Sligo had a penalty to eliminate Kerry in a qualifier but missed it. It was in the middle of a run of three qualifier games where Kerry were deeply unimpressive. Yet Kerry went on to win the All-Ireland.

A classic outcome-based narrative.

straightred

There was a glimmer of hope today for Galway but they didn't take it. They were gifted a goal and then a point from a poor kick out and then they got a penalty. That could have been 7 points from Dublin mistakes within a few minutes but they missed the penalty. It is so rare for Dublin to be that loose and casual so when it does happen you need to take full advantage. Galway didn't and the rest is history

sid waddell

Quote from: lenny on August 11, 2018, 09:51:13 PM

Recent history, that's a bit of a stretch. It's 10 years since they beat a big team in the championship.
Dublin didn't beat a big team in the championship from 1995 to 2010. You gotta do it some time.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2018, 09:37:47 PM

From recollection Murchan fumbled a very short kickout, Comer and Burke were straight on top of him, if Comer had kicked it to the side to Burke instead of straight at Cluxton it could have been a great goal chance alright.

Cunny Funt

You talked up Galway before this game and now trying to talk up Tyrone. Give it a rest.

sid waddell

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 11, 2018, 09:55:07 PM

You talked up Galway before this game and now trying to talk up Tyrone. Give it a rest.

I think Dublin would beat Tyrone. I think Dublin will win the All-Ireland regardless of who they face in the final. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyrone run them close enough.

The depressing thing is that Dublin today were not near the level they were at in last year's All-Ireland final, they didn't have to be.

seafoid

One of the features of this golden age of Dub football is the absolute bilge written by Dub fans in the interest of implying that the sport is currently competitive. Tyrone do not have the forwards and are at least 3 metric fucktons short of Mayo 2017 in terms of capacity to challenge the Dubs.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

straightred

Tyrone had their chance in Healy Park. They even got to mess about with the pitch but it all came to nothing. They were beaten on their own patch by an average enough Dublin performance on the night. Do you really think they could beat Dublin in Croke Park.
I don't for one second give Monaghan a big chance either but its nonsense to say that aren't as well equipped as Tyrone.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2018, 10:00:58 PM

One of the features of this golden age of Dub football is the absolute bilge written by Dub fans in the interest of implying that the sport is currently competitive. Tyrone do not have the forwards and are at least 3 metric fucktons short of Mayo 2017 in terms of capacity to challenge the Dubs.
As a whole the sport is not competitive, but an elite coterie of challengers, namely, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal, have been very, very competitive with Dublin at the business end of the championship in every single year since the current generation first won it in 2011.

It remains to be seen whether Tyrone can join that list, but if any team is to be competive with Dublin this year, it's likely to be them.