Leinster SHC Quarter-finals
Dublin v Carlow/Laois
Wexford v Galway
Antrim v Offaly

Leinster SHC Semi-finals
Dublin/Carlow/Laois v Kilkenny
Wexford/Galway v Antrim/Offaly

The draws are a bit of a disappointment,
In Munster the quarter final is the Munster final. In Leinster, we might as well present Kilkenny with the Cup now and not bother.
The Munster draw should have be seeded to have Clare and Limerick play the Quarter final.

INDIANA

Quite happy with the draw in Dublin. We're quite confident of giving kilkenny a hell of a good rattle in the semi final.

Silky

Davy will get a great welcome home!

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Premier Emperor on October 23, 2009, 11:16:21 PM
In Munster the quarter final is the Munster final. In Leinster, we might as well present Kilkenny with the Cup now and not bother.The Munster draw should have be seeded to have Clare and Limerick play the Quarter final.

I would take exception to that.  We always give Kilkenny a good game and are good enough to beat them if things go our way, now Kilkenny will be favourites to win Leinster again but its no way guaranteed for them.

Also a seeded draw is not a good idea.  Look what happened in the Munster Football Championship when that happaned.  An open draw is the fairest, every team has the same chance before the draw is made.  And if Tipp or Cork are good enough they should be able to get to the Munster final anyway.

Reillers

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 24, 2009, 03:41:40 PM
In Munster the quarter final is the Munster final. In Leinster, we might as well present Kilkenny with the Cup now and not bother.The Munster draw should have be seeded to have Clare and Limerick play the Quarter final.

I would take exception to that.  We always give Kilkenny a good game and are good enough to beat them if things go our way, now Kilkenny will be favourites to win Leinster again but its no way guaranteed for them.

Also a seeded draw is not a good idea.  Look what happened in the Munster Football Championship when that happaned.  An open draw is the fairest, every team has the same chance before the draw is made.  And if Tipp or Cork are good enough they should be able to get to the Munster final anyway.

But Tipp and Cork are good enough to be in the final, not have one knocked out in the first game. And I'm all for keeping the Munster Championship, even though Leinster is dead has no impact on us. But my problem is that, Cork/Tipp have to play 3 games to win Munster, KK have to win 3 to get into the AI final.
And while that is the luck of the draw, KK always seem to get it the easy way all the time, obviously that has little impact on them because they're so good, and would still probably win it going the hard long way, but on the rest of us..it's slightly irritating.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on October 25, 2009, 11:10:44 AM

But Tipp and Cork are good enough to be in the final, not have one knocked out in the first game. And I'm all for keeping the Munster Championship, even though Leinster is dead has no impact on us. But my problem is that, Cork/Tipp have to play 3 games to win Munster, KK have to win 3 to get into the AI final.
And while that is the luck of the draw, KK always seem to get it the easy way all the time, obviously that has little impact on them because they're so good, and would still probably win it going the hard long way, but on the rest of us..it's slightly irritating.

How is Leinster dead?  Galway are now in it which makes it more competitive and Dublin are improving every year?

So what your basically saying is you want an easy route for Cork and Tipp?  Yes its harder for the teams drawn in the Q/F to win the Provence but thats what makes it more open and competitive.

Also Munster is not that much ahead of Leinster, yes its more competitive but thats because Kilkenny have been so good down through the years.  OK the teams might not be as good, but the likes of Wexford and maybe even Dublin now could beat Waterford, Clare and Limerick on their day and are well able to give Tipp and Cork a game as well.

Reillers

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 26, 2009, 12:01:46 AM

How is Leinster dead?  Galway are now in it which makes it more competitive and Dublin are improving every year?

So what your basically saying is you want an easy route for Cork and Tipp?  Yes its harder for the teams drawn in the Q/F to win the Provence but thats what makes it more open and competitive.

Also Munster is not that much ahead of Leinster, yes its more competitive but thats because Kilkenny have been so good down through the years.  OK the teams might not be as good, but the likes of Wexford and maybe even Dublin now could beat Waterford, Clare and Limerick on their day and are well able to give Tipp and Cork a game as well.

Dublin getting better, but so is everyone else. On their day Wexford might be Clare or Limerick but if they played eachother 5 times the Munster teams would win each time, while the likes of Wexford would give them a good run once or twice.
But Leinster, soul wise it what I meant, is dead, and they relly on Galway (Joe Canning alone going on past preformances) to give Kilkenny a go.
Winning Leinster means feck all to the likes of KK. You could see the championship without the Leinster championship, but you just couldn't have a summer without the Munster Hurling Championship. A massive part of our culture would be gone.
And I'm saying that coincidently Kilkenny who have an easy run anyway, seem to get that bit of luck with draws every year, while say Cork/Tipp get unlucky draws. Like I said we/Tipp have to win 3 games to win Munster, while Kilkenny have to win 3 games to get into the AI finals. It just makes it a little bit easier for them, and a little bit harder for us. Which isn't needed.
But that is, I suppose the luck of the draw.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on October 26, 2009, 12:28:03 AM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 26, 2009, 12:01:46 AM

Dublin getting better, but so is everyone else. On their day Wexford might be Clare or Limerick but if they played eachother 5 times the Munster teams would win each time, while the likes of Wexford would give them a good run once or twice.
But Leinster, soul wise it what I meant, is dead, and they relly on Galway (Joe Canning alone going on past preformances) to give Kilkenny a go.
Winning Leinster means feck all to the likes of KK. You could see the championship without the Leinster championship, but you just couldn't have a summer without the Munster Hurling Championship. A massive part of our culture would be gone.
And I'm saying that coincidently Kilkenny who have an easy run anyway, seem to get that bit of luck with draws every year, while say Cork/Tipp get unlucky draws. Like I said we/Tipp have to win 3 games to win Munster, while Kilkenny have to win 3 games to get into the AI finals. It just makes it a little bit easier for them, and a little bit harder for us. Which isn't needed.
But that is, I suppose the luck of the draw.

While I do agree with you there, many people outside of Munster would not and would be happy to see both Provincial Championships gone and a Champions League format in place of them.  I am not one of these people as the Munster Championship itself can give more entertainment then the rest of the All-Ireland Championship.

INDIANA

The munster championship is dead Reillers- face facts. The only good games we got in the championship last year were the qualifiers the rest with the exception of galway v kilkenny were a damp squib. Even the munster final was a non-entity- the game was over with 20 mins to go.
Its time to scrap all the provincial championships and jazz up the championship a bit.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on October 26, 2009, 10:52:45 AM
The munster championship is dead Reillers- face facts. The only good games we got in the championship last year were the qualifiers the rest with the exception of galway v kilkenny were a damp squib. Even the munster final was a non-entity- the game was over with 20 mins to go.
Its time to scrap all the provincial championships and jazz up the championship a bit.

I don't agree. The Munster Championship often produces the most exciting matches of the whole All-Ireland series.

johnneycool

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 26, 2009, 03:07:17 PM

I don't agree. The Munster Championship often produces the most exciting matches of the whole All-Ireland series.

To an extent I'd agree with you but even the Munster championship games are way down in intensity (and interest) to the days of straight knock out.
barring the Galway/Kilkenny game there were no major results in doubt even including Dublins good showing in the final.
The Wexford/Offaly, and Wexford/Dublin games didn't seem to generate much interest outside those counties.

INDIANA

name one from last year?

cork v tipp - largely over at half time- one decent 20 mins spell in the 2nd half from cork- result never in doubt though
tipp v clare - over at ht
tipp v waterford - over with 25 to go

limerick v waterford -first day- should only be replayed for bold schoolkids as an alternative to writing lines in detention.

Limerick v waterford 2nd half- decent game.

hardly a glowing resume.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on October 26, 2009, 06:07:21 PM

name one from last year?

cork v tipp - largely over at half time- one decent 20 mins spell in the 2nd half from cork- result never in doubt though
tipp v clare - over at ht
tipp v waterford - over with 25 to go

limerick v waterford -first day- should only be replayed for bold schoolkids as an alternative to writing lines in detention.

Limerick v waterford 2nd half- decent game.

hardly a glowing resume.

If you use one poor year as a reason to get rid of a whole competition then both the All-Ireland Hurling and Football Championships wouldn't exist.  I agree this years Munster Championship wasn't great but for the most part of this decade it has provided the best entertainment and excitement of the whole Championship imo.  Between Cork, Waterford and Tipp, and every now and then Clare and Limerick have played in some top class games as well.

INDIANA

Wasn't much good the year before either. Hasn't been a decent munster championship since about 2004. And I don't say that lightly. Its as dead as any other part of the hurling championship.

Time for an open draw rather than holding onto outdated relics. Hurling needs to get rid of the provincial boundaries because not enough counties play it to justify a provincial system

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on October 26, 2009, 06:47:05 PM
Wasn't much good the year before either. Hasn't been a decent munster championship since about 2004. And I don't say that lightly. Its as dead as any other part of the hurling championship.

Time for an open draw rather than holding onto outdated relics. Hurling needs to get rid of the provincial boundaries because not enough counties play it to justify a provincial system

You most have been too busy watching the soccer to notice Indy because shockingly enough there have been the odd brilliant game or two per season since 04 making it a great championship.
YOu know we've had the few odd brilliant Cork v Waterford games over teh last 5 years, oh and Tipp, then there was the year where Tipp and Limerick had to play eachother 3 times because they couldn't be seperated.

And it's interesting really, it's nearly always a Leinster man (or someone outside Munster) who says that there should be an open draw, which is a bit sad really, the Munster Championship is part of the magic of it all. Something clearly they don't understand.
I mean nothing much beats Cork v Tipp in Thurles (not to mention Waterford, and Clare and Limerick on the odd day) in the Munster Championship.
But I guess that there's the Leinster way and then there's the Munster way.