China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2020, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 30, 2020, 04:44:57 PM
I have a business contact in the UK who has just purchased 250,000 test kits for self diagnosis. Pin p***k results in ten minutes. Sent me all the info as hes putting it out through his direct sale team. All properly certified by most stringent European standards.

Hes a businessman who isn't making money by his core business but has stepped in to assist supply chain (because he can) and make a small ( not extortionate by any means) that will help sustain his business in the short term.

Not sure whether or not to get involved in this because there are a few people profiteering...albeit not massively....but then again so the question is....is there any harm in it?

Just using here as a testing board for opinions on this thing. As caprice guide....I can buy these kits around £12 and have been advised to RRP at circa £15.

Should I get involved, ethically is it ok to make a few pounds by doing this? At the minute I'm seeing two sides of a same coin?

seems fine to me, isn't exactly Randox margins
At £12 they are making £3-£3.50 a pop. Was tempted myself to buy direct from China, min order was 10,000. My problem unfortunately is that I have a vulnerable (very) person in my house and would be afraid to get involved as somewhere along the line I would be afraid of coming into contact,
only for that I would be flogging then along with N95/FFP3 masks

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2020, 11:14:57 PM
The view of Stormount. Is Marc on coke? Very hyper lol

The guy on now talking serious sense!

Was that the lad from Clones, Samuel McConkey?

No bluff or bluster from him. UK delayed and dithered too long and allowed the virus to take hold he said. No ifs or buts.

imtommygunn

You can't argue with that.

Cheltenham probably the biggest mistake of all.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2020, 09:14:51 AM

The decision to cancel St Patricks day here in Ireland probably one of the best/most logical decsions ever made when we look back.

The Cheltenham festival going ahead was nothing short of mind boggling.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 31, 2020, 08:32:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2020, 11:14:57 PM
The view of Stormount. Is Marc on coke? Very hyper lol

The guy on now talking serious sense!

Was that the lad from Clones, Samuel McConkey?

No bluff or bluster from him. UK delayed and dithered too long and allowed the virus to take hold he said. No ifs or buts.

Yes, that was him. He was very good
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: Itchy on March 30, 2020, 11:34:20 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 30, 2020, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 30, 2020, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 30, 2020, 01:48:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2020, 01:33:47 PM
why are the Brits saying its 6 months, prince Charles had it went into isolation 7 days and now hes out its a miracle
If everyone caught it today it would be all over in 2 weeks! The bodies would be piled up but the survivors would be immune to this particular strain.

If transmission is limited (flatten the curve) to a level that is manageable it might take a bit longer.

Where is your evidence for what is in bold? I have not read of any research that can claim that and its a pretty dangerous assumption to make.

If anyone is depending on GAA board for medical advise they deserve all they get.

However, The Germans seem to think that is the case.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-germany-immunity-passports-for-people-free-from-infection-bv87sz7zc

Other studies in Australia are showing the immune system becomes more resistant.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-germany-covid-19-immunity-certificates-testing-social-distancing-lockdown-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/70945888-6938-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

Do you want me to change would to could so it is less dangerous?

No need, it's the same stupid assumption Boris and his "better than the WHO" experts came up with before doing a spectacular U turn. I was just wondering were you going to be stupid enough to spread the same nonsense as them. But I see your using the "it's an online forum if you are stupid enough to believe any bullshit I write you deserve what you get" defence.
Same thing alright. Don't put your back out with that reach. Hospitals are under enough pressure.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on March 30, 2020, 05:45:44 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 30, 2020, 05:01:12 PM

Whichever company comes up with the vaccination for this and someone will, they aren't going to give it to the world for free you can be sure. They'll be heralded as genius whilst they milk a Government, whom in turn will make us pay for it via taxation.

We'll have to pay a lot less taxation in this case than if the pandemic continues.

QuoteOn another note I am relatively optimistic they'll get the vaccination sorted, the whole of the worlds genius is now on it - the human body has proven it has the ability to beat the riddle. Now for the human mind to figure out. I think human testing has already started in Europe.

The direction of genius towards a limited set of objectives can bring notable results, look at how technologies were developed during the second world war.

Reported elsewhere that the US government was going to manufacture a vaccine in parallel with the testing of it. This makes sense, even if the vaccine was not perfect it might be good for a lot of people, even if the testing showed that you could not give it to people with certain conditions.

All we can do is be positive, I am certain the scientific brains of the world will sort this fairly quickly. They have a lot of the data already.

I have less hope that our governments worldwide won't get involved in a bickering match over red tape holding the whole process up over many more months than it needs. There's already been talk that Trump wants to make the vaccine (when resolved) an American victory etc.

gallsman

Cheltenham and Atléti travelling to Anfield and bringing 4/5k fans with them.

tbrick18

Quote from: PMG1 on March 30, 2020, 11:38:37 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2020, 05:38:29 PM
I have a business contact in the UK who has just purchased 250,000 test kits for self diagnosis. Pin p***k results in ten minutes. Sent me all the info as hes putting it out through his direct sale team. All properly certified by most stringent European standards.

Hes a businessman who isn't making money by his core business but has stepped in to assist supply chain (because he can) and make a small ( not extortionate by any means) that will help sustain his business in the short term.

Not sure whether or not to get involved in this because there are a few people profiteering...albeit not massively....but then again so the question is....is there any harm in it?

Just using here as a testing board for opinions on this thing. As caprice guide....I can buy these kits around £12 and have been advised to RRP at circa £15.

Should I get involved, ethically is it ok to make a few pounds by doing this? At the minute I'm seeing two sides of a same coin?

seems fine to me, isn't exactly Randox margins
At £12 they are making £3-£3.50 a pop. Was tempted myself to buy direct from China, min order was 10,000. My problem unfortunately is that I have a vulnerable (very) person in my house and would be afraid to get involved as somewhere along the line I would be afraid of coming into contact,
only for that I would be flogging then along with N95/FFP3 masks

Are these the tests to see if someone had the virus and recovered? Or are these the tests that test if a patient currently has the virus?
Would be interested to see where these can be bought from....if anyone can share.

Rossfan

Probably why Kildare has third highest number of cases in the 26??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

RadioGAAGAA

Probably the altruistic thing to do would be run it at-cost, so no profit, no loss.

But of course, that means you do need a margin from your buying to selling price to pay your own expenses - and I don't see how anyone could consider that unreasonable.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

No need, it's the same stupid assumption Boris and his "better than the WHO" experts came up with before doing a spectacular U turn. I was just wondering were you going to be stupid enough to spread the same nonsense as them. But I see your using the "it's an online forum if you are stupid enough to believe any bullshit I write you deserve what you get" defence.

But that'd mean a single-strain vaccine isn't going to work Itchy.

[If there are multiple disparate strains of COVID-19 running amok, then vaccine will need to contain solutions to each one.That'll put months onto the work behind it.]
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 31, 2020, 10:53:05 AM

But that'd mean a single-strain vaccine isn't going to work Itchy.

[If there are multiple disparate strains of COVID-19 running amok, then vaccine will need to contain solutions to each one.That'll put months onto the work behind it.]

I dont know how many strains there are. My point is that the experts are learning all the time. From the papers I have read there is no conclusive evidence yet that there is immunity when you get this virus. I dont think it is helpful to say that there is immunity when its not known - even if it is on a forum. People are doing research online and are reading stuff and I am sure people like LeoMc is running around talking rubbish away from the forum and influencing some people. I'd hate to think someone recovered from Covid19 would be out running amok because the think they cant catch it again. There is no advice anywhere saying that.

Other things not understood yet, again from what I have read.

- Why is it biased to men (75%) versus women. Originally believe to be behavioral it seems that newest information is saying that it is something else.
- Suggestion that in different climates it infects at different rates.
- Is there immunity when you get it