Twitter

Started by irunthev, July 16, 2009, 12:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

What's the story with whole celebrity promotion of twitter. Why has this site become such a high profile communication tool, given that things like myspace and facebook already existed. Even organisations like BBC and CNN have started to promote it. Can anyone explain why should it have taken such a market share so quickly.

Orior

Quote from: irunthev on July 16, 2009, 12:27:56 PM
What's the story with whole celebrity promotion of twitter. Why has this site become such a high profile communication tool, given that things like myspace and facebook already existed. Even organisations like BBC and CNN have started to promote it. Can anyone explain why should it have taken such a market share so quickly.

I've no idea. I think its absolute shite.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

irunthev

I personally think there is more to this twitter lark than any of us are aware of..... Bit of a conspiracy type theory I know, but why else would these huge news organisations and these global celebrities be encouraging people to use it. Understandable yes if you are just talking about the odd celebrity being paid to endorse it, but huge companies... what's in it for them?

ONeill

Murdoch said last week he was interested in it. Might be a link.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

heineken_on_tap

I dont know all that much about it but one of the lads from work was let go a few weeks back. So he is gone of to the US on holidays to get over it, we all keep an eye on this twitter page and in fairness I can see the appeal of it. Sure everything the lad does he twitters on about it, sure its mad really  :D

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on July 16, 2009, 01:05:39 PM
Murdoch said last week he was interested in it. Might be a link.

Na, the popularity of Twitter took off when Stephen Fry said he was a fan of it last year. More and more celebrities joined and with that, more people joined to follow them. Sites such as BBC and CNN then saw it as a great place to promote various parts of their website and television programming.

It will get to the point, not in the too far future I predict, that it will become too popular and 13/14 years old start using it. Until then, I find it useful to track web development articles and tips on Apple.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Eh? I was suggesting there might be a link somewhere online to that story!

Urban legend has it that Fry banned you from viewing his. Is that true?

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on July 16, 2009, 01:14:12 PM
Eh? I was suggesting there might be a link somewhere online to that story!

Urban legend has it that Fry banned you from viewing his. Is that true?

a) Oops, sorry.

b) Yep. Apparently I'm the only person he banned. Don't know what I did on him.
Testing Accessibility

Bensars

Twitter first came to mass public attention when a passenger onboard a (crashed/damaged/hostage situation  whatever it was) plane in the states  used his mobile phone to "twitter" on the conditions inside during the crisis. This helped authorities to keep up to date with the current events at the time. The story was then broadcast internationally.

Long before Stephen Fry boarded that particular band wagon

The squinted eye

Would the passenger have caused the aeroplane trouble in the first place by twittering to all and sundry that she was on a plane during the flight. I am going to keep away from twitter because you will get yahoos twittering about every nuance that happens to them in the day, I used to like facebook till you see some of my mates changing their profile every 20 minutes posting on my walls and basically filling up my page with shit. I meet some of them these days down in the pub and I can see them logging in on phone, I dont like them any more..........f**king eejits!

muppet

Quote from: The squinted eye on July 16, 2009, 05:08:16 PM
Would the passenger have caused the aeroplane trouble in the first place by twittering to all and sundry that she was on a plane during the flight. I am going to keep away from twitter because you will get yahoos twittering about every nuance that happens to them in the day, I used to like facebook till you see some of my mates changing their profile every 20 minutes posting on my walls and basically filling up my page with shit. I meet some of them these days down in the pub and I can see them logging in on phone, I dont like them any more..........f**king eejits!

Both of them?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: The squinted eye on July 16, 2009, 05:08:16 PM

There's a lot of misconception about Twitter out there. You only receive updates from people or institutions you want. For example, I keep an eye on Guardianmedia, BBCNI, Lance Armstrong, Gerry Adams, NINewspapers, SF and Arseblog.

Kerry Mike

I only signed up to it this week, was on yesterday evening and somehow landed on Mariah Carey's page, no idea how I got there probably from some other fecking celebrity page and I saw she had 999947 twits as friends and so I waited my chance and saw the clock going up and seizing my moment became her 1 millionth twit or whatever the feck you call it.

So I sent her a message explaining my millionth twitter predicament and how great it was for her to finally have a friend in the real non celebrity world, I said I knew feck all about her music career, but that she probably knew feck all about Kerry football either so we would have loads to twitter about. 

She never replied.

I sent her a second twitter explaining I had just downloaded a few of her free songs from limewire, jaysus they were looking for money on iTunes, and told her that she might have some potential as a singer but not to give up her day job as a page 3 model just yet. The Music business is a rough auld place to be. 

Surprisingly she did not reply either.

My 3rd twitter asked for a few free tickets if she ever makes a concert over these part as my prize or even an auld CD and I promised to introduce her to the O'Se brothers too.

She did not reply to me again.

Last time I am going to be Twittering that Carey one, who the f**k does she think she is not replying to me, so I told her to twit off and removed myself as her twit friend.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

ONeill

Jaysus that was funny.

Kerry Mike

Feck it anyway, I should have played along and kept twittering to her as me best twit friend, looks like someone else got a prize for being her 1 millionith twit. 

QuoteCongratulations @amymcnulty13 for being Mariah's MILLIONTH FOLLOWER! The lucky #1,000,000 will b getting a prize courtesy of MariahCarey.com

I was going to appeal her decision to the DRA but Amy McNulty13 & Mariah Carey are welcome to each other, fecking slappers the lot of them.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football