Should the 2020 championship be cancelled?

Started by macdanger2, October 19, 2020, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the 2020 championship be cancelled?

Yes
36 (40%)
No
54 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 90

macdanger2

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this, should we plough on or cancel?

While it was great having county football back last weekend, I'd probably lean towards cancelling partly because of the risk of spreading the virus and partly because we could end up with a devalued championship if teams lose a rake of players just before a big game

galwayman

That's a very good question. I'm leaning towards cancelling also for the same reasons you have outlined. If teams may be without a succession of players due to COVID concerns then it absolutely will completely devalue the competition imo.

Sportacus

I think you just have to hang in for now, with strictest possible protection for the players. Even at the weekend past I was wondering to myself what the Covid factor was, were Mayo really that much better than Galway, that type of thing.  So it will inevitably have an asterisk against it if by some miracle it completes. I was surprised how little the empty ground didn't spoil watching it.

pbat

If the GAA are using the Elite line they should be forced to put all 32 teams in hotels from this weekend until they are out of the tournament. 6 weeks for the finalists, pay all players wages for that period. Treat it like a world cup, squads of 30 named 10 of backroom teams no outsiders in or out of camp. But they wouldn't pay for that.

And i'm not anti GAA but believe that's only way to be both safe and fair.

Eamonnca1

The virus has to be stopped. All other concerns are secondary. People who want their GAA fix will have to content themselves with watching archived matches from previous years.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 20, 2020, 01:05:09 AM
The virus has to be stopped. All other concerns are secondary. People who want their GAA fix will have to content themselves with watching archived matches from previous years.

2020 All Ireland championships got the go ahead tonight.

Redhand Santa

People are willing to trust the medical experts on going to level 5 so why not trust them that sport at this level is ok and provides other benefits. Some people just seem to want to cancel it because other things are being cancelled/stopped without any evidence that it will actually make any difference. Thousands of club games were played until recently and the only transmission identified was of the pitch at celebrations (always one club and not passed on to the club they played that day). At county level there will be even stricter protocols in place and boys wont be gathering in pubs after the match to reflect on that days games.

Some point out to the travel involved and games in hotspot areas. Again I don't see a massive issue here as teams will be pulling up at a ground playing a game and driving home. It's not like they'll be calling into local establishments after the game. Also after this weeks league games other than a the a very limited number of games at all ireland stages all games will be played within the same province restricting the travel further.

Then you have the argument of it devaluing the competition if players are missing. That is very unfortunate but surely something is better than nothing. Over the years due to recessions, wars etc loads of top players have been missing from counties but we never considered cancelling the games before. And if we cancel the games this year the chances are we might as well cancel them next year as the same circumstances will exist.

The other argument seems to be about the fact the gaa is amateur. This is true but there is still of jobs whether it be administrative, coaching, journalists etc that rely on these games to generate money. There's also the capital investment the gaa makes in projects across the country from the money made.

Of course a lot of people want the games cancelled simply because it's the gaa and they don't like it. That's fine but I don't particularly care on their opinion as they will use any opportunity to get a dig at the gaa. The agenda is already an anti gaa one as no one is discussing the league of ireland or pro 14 who's players also live in the community. These people will completely ignore the huge joy the gaa games bring to many thousands of people. There'll be plenty of sick or lonely people at the minute who will find a bit of normality and hope from the gaa going ahead.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: pbat on October 20, 2020, 12:31:20 AM
If the GAA are using the Elite line they should be forced to put all 32 teams in hotels from this weekend until they are out of the tournament. 6 weeks for the finalists, pay all players wages for that period. Treat it like a world cup, squads of 30 named 10 of backroom teams no outsiders in or out of camp. But they wouldn't pay for that.

I'm fairly sure this isn't happening for the other elite games going on in the league of ireland or pro 14. Does this mean they aren't elite either?

burdizzo

At last - Redhand - someone talking some sense.

Taylor

Alright Berno - how are ye?
Would you have an hotel a team could use perhaps?

APM

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 20, 2020, 07:47:34 AM
People are willing to trust the medical experts on going to level 5 so why not trust them that sport at this level is ok and provides other benefits. Some people just seem to want to cancel it because other things are being cancelled/stopped without any evidence that it will actually make any difference. Thousands of club games were played until recently and the only transmission identified was of the pitch at celebrations (always one club and not passed on to the club they played that day). At county level there will be even stricter protocols in place and boys wont be gathering in pubs after the match to reflect on that days games.

Some point out to the travel involved and games in hotspot areas. Again I don't see a massive issue here as teams will be pulling up at a ground playing a game and driving home. It's not like they'll be calling into local establishments after the game. Also after this weeks league games other than a the a very limited number of games at all ireland stages all games will be played within the same province restricting the travel further.

Then you have the argument of it devaluing the competition if players are missing. That is very unfortunate but surely something is better than nothing. Over the years due to recessions, wars etc loads of top players have been missing from counties but we never considered cancelling the games before. And if we cancel the games this year the chances are we might as well cancel them next year as the same circumstances will exist.

The other argument seems to be about the fact the gaa is amateur. This is true but there is still of jobs whether it be administrative, coaching, journalists etc that rely on these games to generate money. There's also the capital investment the gaa makes in projects across the country from the money made.

Of course a lot of people want the games cancelled simply because it's the gaa and they don't like it. That's fine but I don't particularly care on their opinion as they will use any opportunity to get a dig at the gaa. The agenda is already an anti gaa one as no one is discussing the league of ireland or pro 14 who's players also live in the community. These people will completely ignore the huge joy the gaa games bring to many thousands of people. There'll be plenty of sick or lonely people at the minute who will find a bit of normality and hope from the gaa going ahead.

100% - Excellent Post!

imtommygunn

What if you are a GAA supporter but don't think it should go ahead?

BennyCake

Sure I said similar months ago.

Play the All Ireland championship on Innishturk. Great setting for a match.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 20, 2020, 09:07:56 AM
What if you are a GAA supporter but don't think it should go ahead?

I dealt with most reasons people don't seem to want to games to go ahead for in my post - both from gaa and non gaa people. I'm not saying I'm right but there does seem to be a lot of ignorance and random arguments going about as to why the games should be cancelled.

Rossfan

Just had a discussion with a local barber.
He is fkn fuming that he has to shut down his livelihood while hundreds of "GAA players" can travel the length and breadth of the Country indulging in their pastime and most of them in "safe jobs" that they can continue to go into.
Tried to point out that his business would still be closed even if the GAA cancelled all games for the 6 weeks but he's not listening.
As far as he's concerned those hundreds of players are at more risk of catching/spreading it than him cutting a few locsl lads' hair every day.
I get the good for morale bit and NPHET say it's ok but my gut reaction is the Championships shouldn't happen.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM