Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, Caislean an Bharraigh, 1900, 03-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 01, 2018, 03:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Starting a standalone thread for this game, too much chat from the riff raff in the main D1 thread  ;)

I believe the weather has continued to be poor down at home so I'd say the pitch won't be in great shape for this (from looking at youtube videos, it was in muck for the FBD games - two in three days).

Some of the younger Kerry players (Sean O'Se & Clifford at any rate) played Sigerson during the week and are due to play again next week so it'll be interesting to see if they play the full game. Same with some of our lads - DOC and Loftus played midweek anyway, not sure who else. Would lilke to get gametime for Loftus but no point in flogging him either, better to wait until later in the league. DOC doesn't need to play imo.

Mayo will likely play a similar team to last week, Boyler is injured so will probably drop out but Parsons may be back (based on info from WJs blog).

Bookies have Mayo as ~1 point favourites @ 4/6

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 01, 2018, 03:37:11 PM
Starting a standalone thread for this game, too much chat from the riff raff in the main D1 thread  ;)

I believe the weather has continued to be poor down at home so I'd say the pitch won't be in great shape for this (from looking at youtube videos, it was in muck for the FBD games - two in three days).

Some of the younger Kerry players (Sean O'Se & Clifford at any rate) played Sigerson during the week and are due to play again next week so it'll be interesting to see if they play the full game. Same with some of our lads - DOC and Loftus played midweek anyway, not sure who else. Would lilke to get gametime for Loftus but no point in flogging him either, better to wait until later in the league. DOC doesn't need to play imo.

Mayo will likely play a similar team to last week, Boyler is injured so will probably drop out but Parsons may be back (based on info from WJs blog).

Akram and Durcan played for DCU yesterday too.

twohands!!!

Based on the likely teams, I'd imagine it has to be advantage Mayo.

Kerry's defence was fairly woeful, especially in terms of the goals they gave away against 14 Donegal men.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 01, 2018, 04:09:10 PM
Based on the likely teams, I'd imagine it has to be advantage Mayo.

Kerry's defence was fairly woeful, especially in terms of the goals they gave away against 14 Donegal men.

Fairly woeful alright and due to injuries I don't think they can bring much in to improve things. Mayo will probably have their first choice forward line available for this game. This match should be straightforward home win a big surprise if it isn't.

Farrandeelin

Kerry will be all out to 'right the wrongs' of last August. As I said in the Division 1 thread I don't know how it will go. Mayo's home form is awful in the league.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 01, 2018, 05:18:07 PM
Kerry will be all out to 'right the wrongs' of last August. As I said in the Division 1 thread I don't know how it will go. Mayo's home form is awful in the league.

Will be the summer if and when they meet that Kerry will be all out to do that. Teams that Mayo dropped home points against in recent years had stronger and more experienced starting 15s than Kerry will have on Saturday.

macdanger2

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 01, 2018, 03:47:37 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 01, 2018, 03:37:11 PM

Akram and Durcan played for DCU yesterday too.

Akram unlikely to start anyway but Durcan should definitely be rested, plenty of half backs looking for game time

twohands!!!

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
5. Colm Boyle - Davitts
6. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
9. Shane Nally - Garrymore
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy(Captain)
12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
13. Neil Douglas - Castlebar Mitchels
14. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
15. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen

twohands!!!

Shane Murphy
Dr. Crokes
Brian Ó Beaglaoich
An Ghaeltacht
Jason Foley
Ballydonoghue
Shane Enright
Tarbert
Paul Murphy
Rathmore
Gavin Crowley
Templenoe
Ronan Shanahan
Austin Stacks
Jack Barry
Na Gaeil
Barry O'Sullivan
Dingle
Micheál Burns
Dr. Crokes
Seán O'Shea
Kenmare
Stephen O'Brien
Kenmare
David Clifford
Fossa
Paul Geaney
Dingle
Barry John Keane
Kerins O'Rahillys

Fir Ionaid:

Brian Kelly
Killarney Legion
Brendan O'Sullivan
Valentia
Cormac Coffey
Kerins O'Rahillys
Jack Savage
Kerins O'Rahillys
Dáithí Casey
Dr. Crokes
Matthew Flaherty
Dingle
Killian Spillane
Templenoe
Brian Ó Seanacháin
Ballydonoghue
Greg Horan
Austin Stacks
Andrew Barry
Na Gaeil
Éanna Ó Conchúir
An Ghaeltacht

Lar Naparka

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 02, 2018, 08:59:30 PM
5. Colm Boyle - Davitts
Very interesting...
I'd say that is close to Rochford's strongest side at the moment. Nally will be getting his chance to show hi smother didn't rear a jibber. He has the potential to force himself into the reckoning later on in the year. He will find iit hard going to displace either Tom or Seamie when they both recover full fitness but he won't get a better oportunity to show what he's got than this game. Eoin O'Donoghue is doing just that right now. He was outstanding last Sunday. If he can do the same again, he's a real prospect.
Neil Douglas is another who seems promising.  There's a lot to play for on Sunday. I hope the weather is a biteen kinder than it was for the last two games. I'm not looking forward to another pisssy. windy evening but the end result shoud make the trip west worthwhile.  Anyway, there will be no wind and rain in Mick Byrne's afterwards!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

I still reckon there might be one or two changes, as it's what Rochford usually does. Good team names however, I think we have a good chance of winning.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 02, 2018, 10:53:30 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 02, 2018, 08:59:30 PM
5. Colm Boyle - Davitts
Very interesting...
I'd say that is close to Rochford's strongest side at the moment. Nally will be getting his chance to show hi smother didn't rear a jibber. He has the potential to force himself into the reckoning later on in the year. He will find iit hard going to displace either Tom or Seamie when they both recover full fitness but he won't get a better oportunity to show what he's got than this game. Eoin O'Donoghue is doing just that right now. He was outstanding last Sunday. If he can do the same again, he's a real prospect.
Neil Douglas is another who seems promising.  There's a lot to play for on Sunday. I hope the weather is a biteen kinder than it was for the last two games. I'm not looking forward to another pisssy. windy evening but the end result shoud make the trip west worthwhile.  Anyway, there will be no wind and rain in Mick Byrne's afterwards!

Good to see you having a prospect coming through in the full back line, for all the talk of Mayo being short one top forward to make the breakthrough it is the other end of the pitch where you have usually been usually carrying a liability the last couple of years.

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 02, 2018, 11:09:33 PM
I still reckon there might be one or two changes, as it's what Rochford usually does. Good team names however, I think we have a good chance of winning.

Yeah, you wouldn't be surprised to see Boyle replaced anyway and maybe one other change.

There seems to be a reasonable level of confidence that we'll win, I wonder what it would be like if Gough had given Monaghan that late free last week.....funny how small calls can completely change the mood around a team

Farrandeelin

I reckon it's shit or bust for Coen to nail down the number 6 position. Sean O'Shea had a good game last week by all accounts and may cause trouble again this time. If Boyle doesn't Start will the replacement be as good? Getting worried now thinking about it.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 03, 2018, 09:27:47 AM
I reckon it's shit or bust for Coen to nail down the number 6 position. Sean O'Shea had a good game last week by all accounts and may cause trouble again this time. If Boyle doesn't Start will the replacement be as good? Getting worried now thinking about it.

Not questioning his effort or commitment, but just feel that Coen does not has what it takes to be an intercounty footballer for a top team.
Last year, it seemed that Rochford had pre-determined that he would come on as a sub no matter what the situation.