Monaghan v Dublin 2/4/17 Clones

Started by Main Street, March 31, 2017, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Goal for Dublin.
That's hard to take.
Monaghan killed by fatigue in the last 10 minutes.
Too many mistakes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SouthDublinBro

Main Street

Well tired out in the last 10 minutes.
A good game to end off the league campaign with.

macdanger2

The strength of Dublin's bench is hard to match, super team. Monaghan are a good side though

Schkite

Tough defeat to take. We just faded badly in the final quarter, some silly mistakes and shot selection cost us. It was always going to be tough anyway but losing leaders like Walshe and Hughes early made things harder.

Full credit to the Dubs though, they were relentless til the end. Some team, never beaten.

Main Street

They worked their 2nd goal very well but the Monaghan players just parted like the red sea, exhausted.
As it turned out, a draw would have been enough to get to the final.
Monaghan should be fresher by the time the Ulster championship begins.

Jinxy

Is there merit in the idea of a very tactical substitution policy for teams playing Dublin?
Play first half with your best team.
Keep two of your better players in reserve for first 15 mins of 2nd half and then bring them back on for last 20 minutes?
Some teams just don't have the depth in the squad for everyone to go flat out for the full game.

Main Street

Dublin are an extremely fit team by county standards.

I wonder how many steps did Vinny Corey get away with on his last foray into the Dublin half?

macdanger2

Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2017, 03:57:13 PM
Is there merit in the idea of a very tactical substitution policy for teams playing Dublin?
Play first half with your best team.
Keep two of your better players in reserve for first 15 mins of 2nd half and then bring them back on for last 20 minutes?
Some teams just don't have the depth in the squad for everyone to go flat out for the full game.

Teams definitely have to start thinking along those lines - maybe start with a team to contain, finish with a team to win. Could easily backfire of course in which case you'd be crucified

Jinxy

The thing is, you can stay with Dublin and frustrate them if you are very well-organised and fit.
But the game will still be won in the last 10 minutes.
How do you make sure your big players can still influence things at the end of the game?
Conor McManus was deep in his defence towards the end.
He's no use to Monaghan back there.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2017, 04:51:59 PM
The thing is, you can stay with Dublin and frustrate them if you are very well-organised and fit.
How do you make sure your big players can still influence things at the end of the game?

You have to get as fit as the Dublin team really is what is required.
I think the main problem is that Dublin normally have 5 forwards who can usually score if left one on one with a defender (Andrews/McMenamon/Connolly/Brogan/Flynn/Rock - and most can  kick off two feet) which means that team defence has to be that much tighter especially as Dublin normally place guys right on the sideline on both sides of the pitch creating space (which means more running for midfielders/half forwards to cover) and when teams drop deep Dublin have multiple players like Conolly/Fenton/McMahon etc who can score from 45 yards out.

Fuzzman

I know it was only the league and it's only March but it sounds like Monaghan really went for this one and ran them very close. I have yet to see the highlights.

Does this not show that the better teams have a much better chance of beating the Dubs in their own back yard than they do in Croker. Would you say if this match was in Croker would Monaghan have done so well?

Next year in the new system Dublin will play one of the other provincial winners in Croker but I think that should be in another neutral venue instead.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 03, 2017, 04:24:20 PM
I know it was only the league and it's only March but it sounds like Monaghan really went for this one and ran them very close. I have yet to see the highlights.

Does this not show that the better teams have a much better chance of beating the Dubs in their own back yard than they do in Croker. Would you say if this match was in Croker would Monaghan have done so well?

Next year in the new system Dublin will play one of the other provincial winners in Croker but I think that should be in another neutral venue instead.

Monaghan got closer to them in Croker in the previous two league meetings, a point in both cases, so no.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 03, 2017, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2017, 04:51:59 PM

You have to get as fit as the Dublin team really is what is required.
I think the main problem is that Dublin normally have 5 forwards who can usually score if left one on one with a defender (Andrews/McMenamon/Connolly/Brogan/Flynn/Rock - and most can  kick off two feet) which means that team defence has to be that much tighter especially as Dublin normally place guys right on the sideline on both sides of the pitch creating space (which means more running for midfielders/half forwards to cover) and when teams drop deep Dublin have multiple players like Conolly/Fenton/McMahon etc who can score from 45 yards out.

Introducing subs with 11 all-stars and 3 footballer of the year awards between them when your backs are to the wall help, towards the fitness levels you allude to. Not having one of your most influential players shown the line for an arguably misinterpreted black card whilst the same thing was going on in the Dublin FB line also helps. I heard the inconsistent ref referred to as 'Dublin Joe' on a few occasions yesterday and bizarrely one of them from a Dublin fan.. A Cavan referee should not be officiating a game involving Monaghan either though I'm not expecting readers to fully get the nuances of that statement.

You are spot on re your attacking methodology though; width and depth are two of the main weapons to prise open a defence and Dublin have perfected this.

Listen, it's not sour grapes and Dublin are a fantastic outfit, players and supporters alike. I'm originally a Clones man and it was both a poignant and proud day for me yesterday. From what I observed, the Dubs seemed to really enjoy the location and occasion also. Comhghairdeas!  :)

Fuzzman

So if you were to meet them in this year's championship would you rather meet them in Croker?