Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breakingball

Waterford are (probably) worst team in the country and they beat us. Another blow.

5 points up after 53 minutes.
20 minutes later we fail to score another point and they tag on 1-3 to win by 1. Shambles.

Saffrongael

Div 2 team according to Bannside  ???
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Waterford hammered Wexford however we are beginning to look very close to being the worst team in ireland :(

paddyjohn

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 02, 2019, 09:08:24 PM
Waterford hammered Wexford however we are beginning to look very close to being the worst team in ireland :(

We are the worst team in Ireland.

Do what you've always done, and you'll get what you always got.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: oakleaf93 on March 02, 2019, 05:08:31 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 02, 2019, 05:04:05 PM
A report says there were 86 spectators at the game. Feel sorry for all division 4 players. GAA is letting them down . Give them a chance to play in Croke Park in a B championship after all they are asked to give the same commitment as division 1 players.
Surely Waterford v Antrim is exactly the type of fixture we will get in a B championship? Today clearly shows the appetite for such fixtures just isn't there unfortunately
What would you do then to motivate Div 4 players? Just leave as is?

Milltown Row2

Ok so bring in a new management team, all the latest vibrant training techniques and stat analysis with gps systems and we'll still be were we are because, all that stuff means feck all as we don't have the players!

Our squad is what's available and there is nothing out there at the moment to improve it. There is something wrong at the source that's not able to produce county standard players!

Those areas need fixing first before we start blaming players management and the volunteers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

belfastsaff

Surly Lenny cannot get another year ? Yes it might not all be his fault but he has to take some of the blame and without naming players some of them shouldn't be n the squad never mind the starting 15. He might not have the best players available but its quite obvious he doesn't know how to manage these players as a group and having them play together - also his tactics stink 2 sweepers and a 'blocker' I've never heard the likes of it no sympathy for him if he is going to try and play football like that. I went over to watch them against the POLY and made my views clear we wouldn't get anywhere and I was right.

Spike

Quote from: belfastsaff on March 04, 2019, 09:15:38 AM
Surly Lenny cannot get another year ? Yes it might not all be his fault but he has to take some of the blame and without naming players some of them shouldn't be n the squad never mind the starting 15. He might not have the best players available but its quite obvious he doesn't know how to manage these players as a group and having them play together - also his tactics stink 2 sweepers and a 'blocker' I've never heard the likes of it no sympathy for him if he is going to try and play football like that. I went over to watch them against the POLY and made my views clear we wouldn't get anywhere and I was right.

Lenny will get another year coz he's cheap and he cant get relegated.

Maybe someone at county board level should ask themselves why the best players in the county are not offering themselves to play for the county. Damning indictment of  the set up.  As PJ just said 'Do what you've always done, and you'll get what you always got'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on March 05, 2019, 02:12:41 PM

Maybe someone at county board level should ask themselves why the best players in the county are not offering themselves to play for the county. Damning indictment of  the set up.  As PJ just said 'Do what you've always done, and you'll get what you always got'

Who are these better players Spike? Have they refused to play? Wasted their chance to play for their county?

Teams/players  are doing the usual nowadays, if we don't like the set up they don't bother.

If they (whoever they are, as I'm keen to know) turned up and committed would we be any better?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

The apathy towards the county board and the county team will never change in some sections of the county. People see another West Belfast man being appointed county manager and decide f**k it, I'm
not playing, it'll be the same as the last time and they are proven correctly.
The county teams playing in Corrigan when Creggan could of held a NFL/NHL game for instance, are we promoting GAA in the country? What kinda signals is that sending to country gaels? Again, those with an agenda can use that as a vehicle to spout.

I don't know what players are better or worse than those already there but surely we are better than we are showing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 05, 2019, 09:37:49 PM
The apathy towards the county board and the county team will never change in some sections of the county. People see another West Belfast man being appointed county manager and decide f**k it, I'm
The county teams playing in Corrigan when Creggan could of held a NFL/NHL game for instance, are we promoting GAA in the country? What kinda signals is that sending to country gaels? Again, those with an agenda can use that as a vehicle to spout.

I don't know what players are better or worse than those already there but surely we are better than we are showing.

Are we? We can only play with what's available. These lads have committed. The ones that I've yet to hear about that are so much better,  (but clearly not  interested) I'd like to hear.

The expensive option will improve what? We'd still have the same players interested in putting on the Saffron top.

The Dub manager wouldn't be able to improve our worth, unless he brings up his dub reserves.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2019, 10:09:36 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 05, 2019, 09:37:49 PM

Are we? We can only play with what's available. These lads have committed. The ones that I've yet to hear about that are so much better,  (but clearly not  interested) I'd like to hear.

The expensive option will improve what? We'd still have the same players interested in putting on the Saffron top.

The Dub manager wouldn't be able to improve our worth, unless he brings up his dub reserves.

You're right we can only play with who makes themselves available. Maybe the more expensive option would make it more attractive to play for the county.

Same oul sh!t year in and year out!

BrendanAntrim

Maybe the more expensive option would make it more attractive to play for the county.

How? What could be done that isn't being done? Really? I can think of absolutely nothing and certainly nothing that would stop a fella committing. Have you any examples of how spending more money on the team set up would attract the mythical better players?

paddyjohn

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 06, 2019, 09:51:14 AM
Maybe the more expensive option would make it more attractive to play for the county.

How? What could be done that isn't being done? Really? I can think of absolutely nothing and certainly nothing that would stop a fella committing. Have you any examples of how spending more money on the team set up would attract the mythical better players?

Maybe going for the more expensive option would show the county are ambitious instead of appointing the same sort of manager that we always go for, a cheap option.

I'm not having a pop at Lenny here either. He man enough to put his name forward for the job.

Spike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2019, 09:23:24 PM
Quote from: Spike on March 05, 2019, 02:12:41 PM

Who are these better players Spike? Have they refused to play? Wasted their chance to play for their county?

Teams/players  are doing the usual nowadays, if we don't like the set up they don't bother.

If they (whoever they are, as I'm keen to know) turned up and committed would we be any better?

Quick test MR - run your eye down both the Cargin & St Galls teamsheets from the 2018 county semi final and tell me what players are better than what we have in the county squad at the moment. 
Quick hint - a combo of non-county players from those two club sides sides would beat our current county team. Our county champions representation is nothing short of shameful from the county boards perspective.  where else would it be allowed to happen? why is it always the stay-aways fault?

Sure the Antrim County Footballer advert sells itself:

1) Guaranteed Division 4 football every year - and that's a promise!
2) Same day return on Air conditioned bus for cold February trips to Waterford
3) Early wake up call for day trips. *02 to 02 Networks Only*
4) Expenses treated on a 'paid when paid' basis
5) No overseas trips - help the environment!
6) If injured on duty, we will help you fill your forms out so you can claim off clubs insurance!
7) Free tickets to national league Division 4 games. (Limited to 2 per player) *may be subject to checks*
8) Guaranteed visit to two away County Grounds each championship season *Note this may increase if win in qualifiers. Unlikely*
9) Guaranteed West Belfast Manager with no intercounty experience - You learn as he learns - double bonus! One on one coaching as we limit amount of 'hanger ons' like physios, doctors, assistant managers, coaches, Trainers etc etc
10) To progress you train on your own - save the County Board money so they can invest in a new stadium / stand / county ground / addiction recovery / other ventures undisclosed. Individual training helps build mental strength!
11) You can visit GAA and Antrim County's greatest White Elephant  - Dunsilly - where you can park and view (for a brief period) *stay off the grass*
12) In case it is actually used, you are entitled to a free bus ticket from Enkalon Industrial Estate Car Park to Dunsilly if crowd more than 10 people.  *u16 matches only*
13) One free pass each season to visit the wild grasslands of Casement. *No photography allowed* *No friends or family allowed*
14) Free Soup and Sandwich with every away trip *water excluded* *if under 18, sandwich excluded*