Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on November 16, 2018, 04:58:09 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 16, 2018, 04:49:42 PM
Franko you beat me to it there. I'm sure there is an element of self interest, but in my opinion and having heard the men speak in a more private arena, just like what has been said of Corbyn, they come a across as very decent individuals. I think history will judge them well.

Probably truth in that.  Varadkar (and probably moreso Coveney) do come across to me as level headed and decent.
Even if it was just alignment of interest the GFA gave the Dublin govt leverage to be used in times like these. There is a very good reason for the DUP heads to be shouting  and roaring now. The 6 counties are not the same as Finchley.
Anyway if you look at the demographics it is a no brainer.

I think Kevin OHiggins was justice minister when a group of Gaels came down in 1927 looking for help. They were turned away. So many times people from the North were ignored.
Now you have Paris and Berlin supporting the Dublin position which supports the GFA ie living in NI with Irish passport and an open border.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omochain

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 05:32:20 PM
Franko you beat me to it there. I'm sure there is an element of self interest, but in my opinion and having heard the men speak in a more private arena, just like what has been said of Corbyn, they come a across as very decent individuals. I think history will judge them well.

Probably truth in that.  Varadkar (and probably moreso Coveney) do come across to me as level headed and decent.
Even if it was just alignment of interest the GFA gave the Dublin govt leverage to be used in times like these. There is a very good reason for the DUP heads to be shouting  and roaring now. The 6 counties are not the same as Finchley.

I think Kevin OHiggins was justice minister when a group of Gaels came down in 1927 looking for help. They were turned away. So many times people from the North were ignored.
Now you have Paris and Berlin supporting the Dublin position which supports the GFA ie living in NI with Irish passport and an open border.

Bia na mara:

a bit of advice please

That period of Irish history between 1918 and 1938 is seriously under covered. Do you have any recommendations on where I can go to do some research on the period.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 09:49:46 AM
Settler communities are different to normal societies because there is no historical continuity and identity has to be invented in a room somewhere from elements that someone has to define. It has to be hard coded.
Over time identity changes. Eg in the South there was a shift from strongly catholic to more liberal on gay issues. Societies will debate this stuff and then change. Or they won't.  But it won't lead to existential insecurity.   
But for unionists the hard coding of identity is very hard to change. Take out Queen and Somme and there isn't much left and then what would you replace it with ?
Unionist identity is very fragile.

Settlers tend to be easier to scare the shite out of because they know unconsciously that their people  were outsiders who came in by force. They are easier to manipulate
The next few months will be hard for GB but very hard for Unionists in NI.

That's a top quality post.

seafoid

Quote from: omochain on November 16, 2018, 07:27:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 05:32:20 PM

Bia na mara:

a bit of advice please

That period of Irish history between 1918 and 1938 is seriously under covered. Do you have any recommendations on where I can go to do some research on the period.

Conor McNamara is very good

https://www.kennys.ie/results/?q=Conor+Mcnamara

Kennys.ie is good for Irish history

Ulster history is fascinating. The O'Neills had a coronating chair in Tullyogue. SF should have used it for Michelle. Untouchable political theatre vs makey uppy on the DUP side.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Sheugh Water

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2018, 04:52:16 PM
Corbyn is part of the reason the Country is in a mess. . . a load of left wing headbangers joined the Labour Party for 50p now there's no way they can force him out even though he's never going to appeal to the middle ground Labour need to win back Parliament.

Along with that he's a f**king Brexiteer so f**k him anyway. The UK is in severe bother but I actually think there is a way out of this if May sticks to her guns!!

Yep Irish nationalists should stay well clear of Corbyn. Not to be trusted

charlieTully

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 16, 2018, 08:13:27 PM
Settler communities are different to normal societies because there is no historical continuity and identity has to be invented in a room somewhere from elements that someone has to define. It has to be hard coded.
Over time identity changes. Eg in the South there was a shift from strongly catholic to more liberal on gay issues. Societies will debate this stuff and then change. Or they won't.  But it won't lead to existential insecurity.   
But for unionists the hard coding of identity is very hard to change. Take out Queen and Somme and there isn't much left and then what would you replace it with ?

Settlers tend to be easier to scare the shite out of because they know unconsciously that their people  were outsiders who came in by force. They are easier to manipulate

+1

michaelg

Quote from: charlieTully on November 16, 2018, 08:36:57 PM

+1
-1 What a load of nonsense

Therealdonald

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2018, 09:23:40 PM

+1

Knew it was only a matter of time before moaning michael reared his head.

michaelg

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 16, 2018, 09:27:56 PM

+1

Knew it was only a matter of time before moaning michael reared his head.
Good evening to you too, Sir!

Milltown Row2

+1

What about the ones that took the soup Seafoid? Do they feel the same as the 'settlers' ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Sheugh Water on November 16, 2018, 08:34:41 PM
Corbyn is part of the reason the Country is in a mess. . . a load of left wing headbangers joined the Labour Party for 50p now there's no way they can force him out even though he's never going to appeal to the middle ground Labour need to win back Parliament.

Along with that he's a f**king Brexiteer so f**k him anyway. The UK is in severe bother but I actually think there is a way out of this if May sticks to her guns!!

Nationalism is fine without Corbyn the border poll will be soon enough... the problem will be the Irish taking us on not the Brits casting us aside!!

ardtole

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2018, 09:52:49 PM

Nationalism is fine without Corbyn the border poll will be soon enough... the problem will be the Irish taking us on not the Brits casting us aside!!

You hit the nail on the head screenexile, if there was a vote in the 26 counties next week for Irish unity, I honestly think as low as 35/40% would be in favour.

Tubberman

Quote from: ardtole on November 16, 2018, 10:04:06 PM

You hit the nail on the head screenexile, if there was a vote in the 26 counties next week for Irish unity, I honestly think as low as 35/40% would be in favour.

i think it would be more like 55% in favour,  but it would be out of patriotism or a sense of nationalism and finality to the whole partition issue. it certainly wouldn't be down to personal gain because we would almost certainly be worse off.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tubberman on November 16, 2018, 10:08:48 PM
Quote from: ardtole on November 16, 2018, 10:04:06 PM

i think it would be more like 55% in favour,  but it would be out of patriotism or a sense of nationalism and finality to the whole partition issue. it certainly wouldn't be down to personal gain because we would almost certainly be worse off.

We?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Correct. He's in bed with SF as well. Corbyn is the biggest threat to peace in Ireland.