Paris....advice

Started by The Gs Man, January 18, 2010, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 16, 2019, 05:48:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 16, 2019, 10:00:10 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 16, 2019, 09:16:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2019, 12:52:32 AM

No loss of life but this is a tragedy for humanity. Terrible.

Hopefully those windows survived.

What's happening in Yemen is a tragedy for humanity......what's even more tragic for humanity is people care more about a building/windows.....than human suffering.

That's exactly what crossed my mind when the media went into overdrive on this. The billionaire that owns Gucci is gonna pay for restoration but how much would he pledge to Syrian refugees. Bunch of jumped up attention seeking pretentious idiots the lot of them.
How many of these people have a passion for gothic architecture

And the traditional Irish begrudgery and gobshitery is underway.

Yesterday I saw the people of Paris responding with dignity to this, singing hymns while watching in sadness but taking comfort in each other's presence. It was a beautiful moment. They say that when you're explaining to your kids why bad things happen in the world, it's good practice to point out how this sort of thing often brings out the best in people. They say that whenever something bad is happening, look out for how the place is full of good people trying to put it right or trying to help others.

Unfortunately there's something about the anonymity of social media that also brings out the worst in people, and I was bracing myself for the inevitable that was sure to follow today. As soon as anybody tries to do anything worthwhile, out come the begrudgers and the usual tiresome "what about the homeless" brigade.

"He's spending millions fixing problem X? How much did he spend on problem Y?"

"He's spending millions fixing problem Y? How much did he spend on problem X?"

The city of Paris is a priceless treasure. The old part of town is a work of art. It has survived revolutions, world wars, terrorist attacks and Christ knows what all, and we're very lucky to have it. They say that France falling to the Nazis as quickly as it did was why so much of Paris survived intact.

The loss of human life is not the only bad thing that can happen in this world. Imagine if Dublin's GPO were to burn down. Or Navan Fort were to be obliterated somehow (which almost happened). Or if St Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh were to burn down. Or if another beautiful building like Belfast City Hall were to be lost. Are you telling me we've got no business mourning the loss of heritage if nobody dies in the process? That it's no big deal if an irreplaceable treasure gets lost? Was it no big deal when the Taliban blew up the Buddhas of Bamyan?

Cop yourselves on.

I don't anybody has said don't mourn it. Certainly from my point of view all I'm saying is it isn't a human tragedy. Not that what happened isn't bad or sad.

Funny you should mention the Taliban. Where was all this outrage when they and Isis were destroying historical buildings in that part of the world

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 16, 2019, 06:51:55 PM
Funny you should mention the Taliban. Where was all this outrage when they and Isis were destroying historical buildings in that part of the world

Are you serious? You think there was no outrage about Isis destroying ancient treasures?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 16, 2019, 06:11:29 PM
Do you do stand up?😂😂😂😂

No, but I've often considered giving it a shot.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 16, 2019, 08:00:45 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 16, 2019, 06:11:29 PM
Do you do stand up?😂😂😂😂

No, but I've often considered giving it a shot.

Go for it👍👍

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 16, 2019, 07:59:30 PM

Are you serious? You think there was no outrage about Isis destroying ancient treasures?

There certainly wasn't anything as close to what we are seeing over this. But then we didn't have the likes of Hopkins and GOD whipping up hysteria

Eamonnca1

It's customary to get more upset about bad things that happen closer to home, particularly somewhere that many of us have visited.

Is that okay with you?

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 16, 2019, 09:46:05 PM
It's customary to get more upset about bad things that happen closer to home, particularly somewhere that many of us have visited.

Is that okay with you?

Has a nerve been touched there Eamon? You find it customary I find it hypocritical. I also find describing it as a human tragedy grossly exaggerated

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 16, 2019, 09:46:05 PM

Is that okay with you?

How does it compare with Grenfell Tower? Maybe you never heard of it.....after all it was a human tragedy.

Eamonnca1

I am aware. There was an entire thread about the Grenfell Tower.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27952.0

Grenfell was a horrifying loss of human life that raised all sorts of questions about fire safety and the treatment of ordinary people.

Notre Dame is a heartbreaking loss of cultural value.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 16, 2019, 09:34:38 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 16, 2019, 07:59:30 PM

There certainly wasn't anything as close to what we are seeing over this. But then we didn't have the likes of Hopkins and GOD whipping up hysteria

Palmyra was in the news non-stop at the time