2015 Laois Senior Football

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uisce

So O'Flaherta is gone, bit of a managerial merry-go-round at the moment. Fair enough he didn't seem like a great manager, nor did he have a great record, but I would find it very difficult to point the finger solely in his direction for Saturday's loss. The players just seem to fold when any serious pressure is put on, which is a real shame considering some of the talent that is there.

Hard to know who would be really wanting to take over Laois now the way it is. I see other posters calling for a local appointment but realistically is there any candidate who would be suitable? I can't think of any.. 

Don Draper

Quote from: Catch and Kick on June 23, 2015, 02:43:41 PM

Laois have been magnificent over a long period - punching above their weight given the population and number of clubs.

They were magnificent against Kildare and probably should be preparing for the Leinster semi final this week. But that's sport.

Magnificent? Used twice? Are you on drugs? Can I have some?

TOF was rubbish. We're not great, but we're worth more than the shit he has peddled these past 2 years.

Let this sink it

Wicklow
Wexford
Fermanagh
Carlow

And beaten by

Tipperary
Antrim (a f**king jokeshop Antrim outfit, by their own admission)

Thats where we are. And he calls that progress.

Like I said, we have a lot of problems, but he was a massive one. Nice man, but out of his depth, and that was known long before he arrived in Portlaoise.

Unlaoised

TOF was not the man for the Job but I'm sure he gave it his best shot while he was here.

There is talent there.

Next appointment must be from within?

Lillis and Kavanagh bound to be in the running

Niall Tully?

Chris Conway?

Joe Higgins?

There is plenty of inside options!
LAOIS ABÚ

SCFC

Quote from: Unlaoised on June 24, 2015, 10:35:08 AM
TOF was not the man for the Job but I'm sure he gave it his best shot while he was here.

There is talent there.

Next appointment must be from within?

Lillis and Kavanagh bound to be in the running

Niall Tully?

Chris Conway?

Joe Higgins?

There is plenty of inside options!

I wouldn't let Mick Lillis manage my veg patch.
Kavanagh on the other strikes me as a shrewd "Cheddar" type of guy.
Wouldn't mind a Kavanagh, Higgins and Conway team.

Heshs Umpire

I'd imagine Tom Conroy's name will be mentioned too.
The Antrim defeat hurt but it might be a turning point if we can get all players back on board for 2016.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 09:16:54 AM

Laois have been magnificent over a long period - punching above their weight given the population and number of clubs.

They were magnificent against Kildare and probably should be preparing for the Leinster semi final this week. But that's sport.

TOF was rubbish. We're not great, but we're worth more than the shit he has peddled these past 2 years.

Let this sink it

Wicklow
Wexford
Fermanagh
Carlow

And beaten by

Tipperary

Like I said, we have a lot of problems, but he was a massive one. Nice man, but out of his depth, and that was known long before he arrived in Portlaoise.

Trained Westmeath to a Leinster title . As a manager on his own he brought them to the last 8 twice with some notable qualifier victories. Yeah he's rubbish alright

Bar Kingston and JOL you're short quality players. No manager in the world will fix that.

Hospital Pass

Lillis isnt the answer anyhow. Maybe its finally time for Pat Roe  ;D
On a serious note i wouldn't mind Joe Higgins stepping up if he had an experienced hand alongside him. Done some time with 2 big clubs in arles killen and graigue. maybe alongside Sean Dempsey or Pat Ryan.
Another name from within the county, former county player Derek Conroy, he is with Mountmellick and the Laois under 21's

Teo Lurley

We need someone who can get all the players playing for the county. Someone that inspires everyone to join up and put everything into it. In some counties this kind of commitment is a given, not in Laois. For this reason we need a big name manager. Someone who'd make the same impact as Micko, just his name brought everyone on side to begin with.
If we appoint an inside man this wouldn't happen, if we appoint someone from outside similar to O'Flatharta they would be in the same position. The problem is that we don't have the money for a big name manager. We'll have to appoint someone local or second rate and hope the players show some pride and start playing for their county.

Don Draper

Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2015, 01:29:44 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 09:16:54 AM

Let this sink it

Wicklow
Wexford
Fermanagh
Carlow

And beaten by

Tipperary

Trained Westmeath to a Leinster title . As a manager on his own he brought them to the last 8 twice with some notable qualifier victories. Yeah he's rubbish alright

Bar Kingston and JOL you're short quality players. No manager in the world will fix that.
Training Westmeath to a Leinster title had nothing got to do with his managerial ability. Let me repeat that, NOTHING. Also it was over 10 years ago. Football has moved on an amount since then. Did he train this Laois team?

His achievements as manager of Westmeath also happened close to 10 years ago, so still nothing new there.

We didnt ask for a manager to fix it, we asked him to come up with a way to deal with it. It seems like you're not a Laois man so its unlikely you've seen this team play all that much, and for that reason, I'll ask you to mind your own business and not be talking about historical facts.

Uisce

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 24, 2015, 01:45:06 PM
We need someone who can get all the players playing for the county. Someone that inspires everyone to join up and put everything into it. In some counties this kind of commitment is a given, not in Laois. For this reason we need a big name manager. Someone who'd make the same impact as Micko, just his name brought everyone on side to begin with.
If we appoint an inside man this wouldn't happen, if we appoint someone from outside similar to O'Flatharta they would be in the same position. The problem is that we don't have the money for a big name manager. We'll have to appoint someone local or second rate and hope the players show some pride and start playing for their county.

Fully agree with this. I can't imagine a local person who would get everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel and get the top footballers in the county at their disposal.

Don Draper

Quote from: Uisce on June 24, 2015, 01:50:34 PM

Fully agree with this. I can't imagine a local person who would get everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel and get the top footballers in the county at their disposal.
I think thats unfair. What you mean to say is you can't see a local person capable of getting everyone to put their shoulder to the wheel and get the top footballers in the county at their disposal.

Hurling supporters thought that too for a long time.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 01:53:33 PM

I think thats unfair. What you mean to say is you can't see a local person capable of getting everyone to put their shoulder to the wheel and get the top footballers in the county at their disposal.

Cheddar had to go and beg players to play. He's put a lot of his own money in to make the setup what it is. There's not many Cheddars around. The county board wont find one. The Messiah must rise himself.

Don Draper

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 24, 2015, 02:01:48 PM

Cheddar had to go and beg players to play. He's put a lot of his own money in to make the setup what it is. There's not many Cheddars around. The county board wont find one. The Messiah must rise himself.
There aren't many managers out there who aren't going to have to go beg these players everyone demands involved. Micko was the exception, not the rule.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Don Draper on June 24, 2015, 02:07:45 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 24, 2015, 02:01:48 PM

There aren't many managers out there who aren't going to have to go beg these players everyone demands involved. Micko was the exception, not the rule.

That's what we're saying. It'll take a really big name to get everyone on board, the players don't want to play for their county otherwise. If we could find a football version of Cheddar that'd be great but that's not going to happen.