Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

From the indo on Thursday lads . So know too much running is bad for you as well  ???

Health News Home
Thursday November 29 2012

DOING too many marathons could kill you, doctors have said in a stark warning about the dangers of taking too much vigorous exercise.

Fitness fanatics should do "just one or a few" marathons or full-distance triathlons, say the cardiologists, because over-exerting the heart for years can lead to long-term damage.

There is now convincing evidence that repeatedly asking the heart to pump "massive" volumes of blood, for hours at a time, can lead to an array of problems, they say.

These include overstretching of the organ's chambers, thickening of its walls and changes to electrical signalling. These could trigger potentially dangerous heart rhythm problems.

"In addition, long-term excessive exercise may accelerate aging in the heart, as evidenced by increased coronary artery calci?cation, diastolic ventricular dysfunction, and large-artery wall stiffening," they write in the journal Heart.

Dr James O'Keefe and Carl Lavie, from St Luke's Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, and the Pennington Biomedical Research Centre in Baton Rouge, US, say the heart is only designed for "short bursts" of intense activity.

They cite the example of Micah True, the hero of the book Born to Run about ultra-endurance running.

He died in March, aged 58, on a 12-mile training run in New Mexico. He routinely ran a marathon a day, sometimes more.

They believe that decades of such exertion led him to develop Phidippides cardiomyopathy.

Named after the original runner, who died delivering news of the Greeks' victory at Marathon, it is "the constellation of cardiac pathology that has been in observed in the hearts of some veteran extreme endurance athletes".

They concluded that most people should limit vigorous exercise to 30 to 50 minutes a day.

"If one really wants to do a marathon or full-distance triathlon etc, it may be best to do just one or a few and then proceed to safer and healthier exercise patterns," they advise.

No amount light to moderate exercise is harmful, they note.

"A routine of moderate physical activity will add life to your years, as well as years to your life.

"In contrast, running too fast, too far, and for too many years may speed one's progress towards the ?nish line of life."

Ellen Mason, senior cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Whether you're taking part in an endurance event, watching your weight or staying healthy after a heart attack, it's important to build up your activity levels gradually, especially if you've not exercised in a while."

Stephen Adams Telegraph.co.uk
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

I wonder if there are other motives behind this research, wouldn't be surprised if it was backed by gym based company who are loosing serious business due to the upsurge in running. Talk about a sensationalistic headline. So basically they are saying, If you run flat out every day it'll catch up with you sooner or later. No shit Sherlock.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on December 03, 2012, 12:12:46 PM
I wonder if there are other motives behind this research, wouldn't be surprised if it was backed by gym based company who are loosing serious business due to the upsurge in running. Talk about a sensationalistic headline. So basically they are saying, If you run flat out every day it'll catch up with you sooner or later. No shit Sherlock.

Aye was a bit daft that. Seen a report like this before. I'm sure there are more lads dropping dead from heart conditions due to poor exercise and bad diet!! I'll take my chances with running and other exercises
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

I know for a fact that having too many birthday parties will kill you.

Though it shouldnt stop you doing marathons.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

Try a slightly longer run once a week but do it a good bit slower. Just stick at it at low effort levels. You'd be amazed that this will bring you on and bring you on quickly. The lower effort level stuff does wonders for the fitness. Lower but not too low. S that you feel reasonably fresh at the end of it.

Edit: just read bm's comments. I would agree with some of it. The longer stuff will help you no end. Basically get yourself comfortable running for longer periods of time. The best way is slow running. If you're ok with this already then look at the tempo but only if you can run 40 minutes.

Step 1 to running is fitness, then strength and then fine tune the speed. 2 or 3 not so easy without 1 but if you have1 tempos the way to go.

ballinaman

Did a Vo2 max test with the guys at myhealthmatters.ie. Tough going but would highly recommend it, need to get myself a heart rate monitor to get the most out of training by the looks of it. Got a metabolic test done too, not taking in enough calories it seems...sitting on my arse all day and not evening training I'd need to be taking in 2,800 to break even, needs to be 3,500 with a hour running session say and then 4,500 if i want to start building more muscle!

Bingo

Did one myself with them in summer, very useful. Ideally the heart rate monitor would be the way to go but I haven't got into myself. I got a few good things out of it, my metabolism is very poor, so have had to change that to lose the excess weight I carry. When running I don't burn enough calories due to poor muscle structure and the poor metabolism. Have improved this with strength and conditioning to build muscles.

A few of us going to structure a programme in January based n the Vo2 test and get it done again.

5km went well the other day, 650 or so done it between runners and walkers, great turnout considering the poor day it was. Winning time of just over 16mins. I was just outside 20mins, had hoped to go below but was slow to start and took a while to get into it, i suppose I wasn't in race mode all morning as I was running round getting stuff sorted for race right up to the off. Enjoyable day though and had a right session after it!

ballinaman

Samuel Wanjiru - huge loss to athletics. Amazing to see this view of him in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-SxTnqCmLA&t=0m50s

Bingo

Well done to the women's cross country (with snow) on doing the double at the Europeans, team and individual gold.

Should run at Olympics round a fid without the track.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on December 09, 2012, 01:09:02 PM
Well done to the women's cross country (with snow) on doing the double at the Europeans, team and individual gold.

Should run at Olympics round a fid without the track.
sensational stuff from the women!

Orior

If you're doing the Park Run tomorrow morning in the Waterworks, Beal Feirste, then watch out for the black swan

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

There's the odd spide on his way home with a bottle of buckfast you need to watch out for too Orior!

Rois

It's my first volunteering session tomorrow at the Waterworks - I believe I will be scanning the barcodes!

imtommygunn

Read the wee cue card Rois and you'll be grand. Easy!