Leinster U-20 Football 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2017, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Terrace

Ha thanks don. I obviously disagree with appointment. But  no point dwelling on it. What is a realistic good year for this team? Leinster semi or final?

BallyroanAbu

Realistic is that they are ill prepared, little planning and they have Kildare and Meath in their group.  I cannot understand why the County Board did not make senior management take them till an U20 manager was found.  I cannot see how they compete with Kildare let alone beat them & hard to see them beating Meath. 

les Antiques

Billy given a two year deal . Best of luck to the chap . He's going to surprise a few people :)

The Monument Road

Quote from: les Antiques on January 30, 2018, 11:35:42 AM
Billy given a two year deal . Best of luck to the chap . He's going to surprise a few people :)
Good luck to Billy. He must have made an impression on someone at CB level. With this decision we cannot throw the incompetent narrative at our new chairman like some did with the outgoing chairman when similar positions were filled in the past . Billy must have some plan prepared if he beat( hands down i hear) the likes of Higgins, Rooney and a few more to get the job. In saying that he also had the very influential support of his club and the club of his ancestors in gaining the recommended number of votes.

Keyser Söze

Some ridiculous stuff written here, and worse on Facebook, although at least they are not anonymous there (whether that is through moral standards or total ignorance I don't know).

We have made far worse appointments in both grades over the past few years. Anyone with an indepth knowledge of team preparation at 3rd level is more than qualified to take on an intercounty U20 team in my opinion.
Freshers All Ireland's trumps Laois intermediate + Leinster minor final appearance (for example).

3rd Level is where the modern approach is most successfully implemented and involves dealing with the most elite players. Surely a decent preparation.

I can't help but think that the reaction is more personal than business.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

BallyroanAbu

I think this U20 panel has been treated badly,  I can't see how we are organized and ready to go before end of Feb at very least (panel to be picked, no selectors etc).   The top counties are back since before Xmas.  It comes back to the old adage "fail to prepare, prepare to fail".  I think Billy could be successful given time, but this year is nearly a write off, some of you may disagree.   But there should be a backup plan in place if similar circumstances ever arise.

I do have some sympathy for the selection committee, Billy was not their first choice as some on here have indicated nor near it.  He is most certainty decisive  but that does not make him a bad choice for manager.  He would not have been my choice to be manager but possibly he was the only suitable willing candidate, available to the selection committee.

les Antiques

Quote from: Keyser

/quote]

You think 😁

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 30, 2018, 02:57:04 PM
Some ridiculous stuff written here, and worse on Facebook, although at least they are not anonymous there (whether that is through moral standards or total ignorance I don't know).

We have made far worse appointments in both grades over the past few years. Anyone with an indepth knowledge of team preparation at 3rd level is more than qualified to take on an intercounty U20 team in my opinion.
Freshers All Ireland's trumps Laois intermediate + Leinster minor final appearance (for example).

3rd Level is where the modern approach is most successfully implemented and involves dealing with the most elite players. Surely a decent preparation.

Finally, a sensible post. TBH some of the stuff posted about the guy on here since the Leinster club final has been ridiculous and reflects very badly on those posting it.

les Antiques

Agree totally , some pathetic and petty comments that offer absolutely nothing to this forum . As a previous poster stated a lot less desired appointments were elected and didn't receive this kind of
Reaction .   Best of luck Billy ,I think he'll prove a lot of people wrong .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Quote from: KOTS3 on February 18, 2018, 03:21:15 PM
Lost to Offaly and Carlow over weekend, struggling to compete with teams we were beating 2 years ago
Quelled f**king surprise

Butch Cassidy

Pretty sure these were just trial games. Any idea of who was involved?

Unison

Offaly under 20s have been training four nights a week for some time now. The fact that we have only recently appointed a manager must show how seriously we take under age football in this county.

Don Draper

Quote from: Unison on February 18, 2018, 07:09:00 PM
Offaly under 20s have been training four nights a week for some time now. The fact that we have only recently appointed a manager must show how seriously we take under age football in this county.
Them boys will be burnt out in a few weeks, the Laois CB know what they're at here.