six county elections 05/05/2011

Started by rossie mad, March 23, 2011, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: AQMP on April 05, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 05, 2011, 08:57:02 AM
I was told yesterday by a politics student that if you don't vote, your vote automatically goes to the candidate with the most votes. I find this hard to believe, but she was adamant about this. Does anyone if this is true?

She says if you truly don't want to vote, as you don't have a preferred candidate or party, you should spoil your vote.

Ziggy, I'm no expert on electoral law but this would appear to be complete and utter ballix and even for the North a kick in the plums for democracy.  WTF are they teaching politics students these days...wasn't like this in my day when 'A' Levels were hard. ;)

Doesn't sound too democratic to me, but she was adamant.
Testing Accessibility

Doogie Browser

Quote from: ziggysego on April 05, 2011, 09:36:15 AM
Quote from: AQMP on April 05, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 05, 2011, 08:57:02 AM
I was told yesterday by a politics student that if you don't vote, your vote automatically goes to the candidate with the most votes. I find this hard to believe, but she was adamant about this. Does anyone if this is true?

She says if you truly don't want to vote, as you don't have a preferred candidate or party, you should spoil your vote.

Ziggy, I'm no expert on electoral law but this would appear to be complete and utter ballix and even for the North a kick in the plums for democracy.  WTF are they teaching politics students these days...wasn't like this in my day when 'A' Levels were hard. ;)

Doesn't sound too democratic to me, but she was adamant.

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

whiskeysteve

At election time, all politicians stand and deliver a mandate. Thats what it means
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

glens abu

AQMP

I suppose over the next few weeks we'll see all politicians acting the real goody two shoes in order to get elected.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on April 05, 2011, 12:58:32 PM
I suppose over the next few weeks we'll see all politicians acting the real goody two shoes in order to get elected.

Yeah when they really are out to rob you, your money or your life.

Denn Forever

Did I hear correctly?  UKIP are running for seats in Stormant. Will  people vote for them?  Hoping to be real opposition in the chamber.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

So whats the craic up in the 6 counties? Will everybody be voting along sectarian lines as per the norm?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 10, 2011, 01:33:17 PM
So whats the craic up in the 6 counties? Will everybody be voting along sectarian lines as per the norm?

Sectarian lines? I'd say most people will be voting on parties which best represent their views on nationalism/unionism/republicanism. Being a unionist or a nationalist or a republican doesn't make you a sectarian.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 10, 2011, 01:38:39 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 10, 2011, 01:33:17 PM

Sectarian lines? I'd say most people will be voting on parties which best represent their views on nationalism/unionism/republicanism. Being a unionist or a nationalist or a republican doesn't make you a sectarian.

1641/1690 politics = no different to 1922-1923 politics IMO.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

jim allister made a right bollix out of himself on radio ulsters talkback this election will be the end of him
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on April 10, 2011, 02:20:50 PM
jim allister made a right bollix out of himself on radio ulsters talkback this election will be the end of him
You'll find that that can often be a vote winner.  :P

Maguire01

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 10, 2011, 01:31:18 PM
Did I hear correctly?  UKIP are running for seats in Stormant. Will  people vote for them?  Hoping to be real opposition in the chamber.
As is the BNP.