Woman referees

Started by Guillem2, November 13, 2006, 01:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

Mike Newell, manager of the Luton Town soccer team has caused a bit of a stir by complaining about wemen referees in the mans game. Here's what he's reported as saying: 

"She shouldn't be here. I know that sounds sexist but I am sexist. This is not park football, so what are women doing here? We have a problem in this country with political correctness - bringing women into the game is not the way to improve refereeing and officialdom. If you start bringing in women you have big problems. It is tokenism for the politically correct idiots."

How would guys honestly feel about a woman refereeing a senior football or hurling game?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

passedit

Might work guillem, as long as she is as strong as the stewardess who held back about thirty lads looking into the tunnel at half time in the drawn Ulster Hurling final. I've a feeling no fella would have coped in that situation.  ;D

Also, less backchat and lifts home in the boot of someone's car.
Don't Panic

dubnut

Honestly, there are many brutal male refs out there.
Really depends on how good you are.

youbetterbelieveit

IF they can be as good as a male ref, then i see no problems, you could probably see fellas behaving themselves alot more when a lady referee has control.

SouthArmaghBandit

A woman will never referee a mans match until women start refereeing womens games. If women don't thrust a woman to referee one of their own games what chance is there of men thrusting them. Everybody knows that women are too emossional to make difficult decisions under pressure. They just can't do it. Don't get me wrong now I'm not sexist. There are some things that women do better than men. But refereeing ain't one of them.
Women aren't good at making decisions, they change their minds all the time and would inhibit the players. And God help the lads if the get a ref at the wrong time of the month!!

passedit

Quotewhat chance is there of men thrusting them

very little i'd say, though many male referees have been advised to do it to themselves over the years.
Don't Panic

Bud Wiser

Since we have women streakers why not refs?

www.metacafe.com/watch/212661/goal/

liihb

QuoteEverybody knows that women are too emossional to make difficult decisions under pressure

QuoteDon't get me wrong now I'm not sexist.

:D ;D
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

The Meadow

Shes stuck in everything!!! makes me sick!!!

Goats Do Shave

"theres a woman referee in tyrone reffing mens games"

Heard she reffed the Moy V Moortown a few weeks back - did a fine job.
Was also told that there was less chat back to the ref...she commanded greater respect!

Could be a good idea...if she's good enough!!  8)

daffy

I suppose theres women who would be better at this than men... just like some women are good drivers and some men arent.

Also, points were made about decision making skills. I find women are actually better at making split deicions than men, they sum up quicker, take things in at a glance and come to an instant decision based part on the suming up and part on instinct. Men like to ruminate, sit and smoke a pipe, go through all the logical steps to get them to the point of the decision, perhaps it makes them feel better to know they followed a route. When you need a quick decision though, a woman can often be faster. Especially when under pressure. They can also prove more oservant.

Theres no rules on it, gender is less important than just having the right gifts.

lynchbhoy

there are so many bad male referees , then a half decent female ref will surely be better

anyhow, most fellas would be mannerly enough not to even think about hitting a female ref
plus a lot of these lads will be killing themselves showing off so they can ask the female ref on a date after the game if shes any way decent looking.
Having said that, female refs will cause the games to rescind into farce with teams too busy showing off to play any good football..

in reality
a couple of female refs may make the grade, but essentially female refs & females in general do not 'get it' in terms of the nuances of male Gaelic football.
None that I have seen or met yet anyhow

if that makes me sexist, then its just another trait to add to the list of bad attributes I have.....

dubnut

"When you need a quick decision though, a woman can often be faster"

Like which dress she should wear? I am sceptical!  ???

daffy

No no no! Not about which dress to wear, we're hopeless at that. That and 'where shall we go' 'what shall we order' etc etc Hopeless. But some women have an ability to step into a work persona, they are quick and professional at work, and to them, refereeing brings out the same professional side.

I agree, some women would be hopeless, I'm certainly not putting myself forward for it! Just that I think we could all be surprised.

My personal hope, would be that however good a lady ref might be, she wouldnt forget she's a woman. Get mucky and dirty and look butch on the field, and do your job as it should be done, but then go clean up and make an effort afterward, none of this arse-out-trousers-lady for off duty refs please!

dubnut

Was only pulling your leg, to be honest my answer is YES. Women do have a place reffing games.