Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

The amount of rumours flying around about is crazy.

Referees on strike
Referees safety couldnt be guaranteed
CL was going to walk if the ref did it
Boys sitting outside referees house
Phone calls made to referee previously
Allegations of cheating by the referee

Down football has been in the doldrums for some time but this sort of stuff is off the scale (if any/all of it is accurate)

forevergreen

Word now circulating that a number of clubs in the county are considering pulling their County players from the panel. County Manager clearly involved to some extent whether directly or as part of Kilcoo player group.
This is sending a rot throughout the county.

Maurice Moss

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 17, 2023, 10:53:31 AMAs an outside observer, I am reading a lot of unsubstantiated stuff on here. To be fair to the Referee, Kilcoo and other parties surely the Down County Board need to lay it out warts and all. Kilcoo are only one club, the other clubs in the county could force the issue at CB level or facing that an EGM. Strange that your Kilcoo supporter has made no comment on the situation other than to advise all of his celebrations.

I am always fair in my approach to matters and have addressed previous situations head on and discussed them on this forum, check my previous posts.

However, you hit the nail on the head, a lot of unsubstantiated info is doing the rounds here and online.

You've seen the fallout from the statement the County Board released. If I address it or make comment, it'll be like petrol to a flame. Safer saying nothing.

thewobbler

Quote from: forevergreen on October 17, 2023, 11:37:37 AMWord now circulating that a number of clubs in the county are considering pulling their County players from the panel. County Manager clearly involved to some extent whether directly or as part of Kilcoo player group.

Clubs can't pull players from a county panel.

If you're going to throw petrol on a fire, make sure the can doesn't have a hole.

Taylor

Quote from: forevergreen on October 17, 2023, 11:37:37 AMWord now circulating that a number of clubs in the county are considering pulling their County players from the panel. County Manager clearly involved to some extent whether directly or as part of Kilcoo player group.

Clubs have absolutely zero input if a players lines out for the county or not

forevergreen

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2023, 11:53:28 AM

If you're going to throw petrol on a fire, make sure the can doesn't have a hole.
So if a county player discusses situation with his club and subsequently steps away from the panel?? Don't think they are contracted so free to walk

Truth hurts

Quote from: forevergreen on October 17, 2023, 11:56:37 AM

So if a county player discusses situation with his club and subsequently steps away from the panel?? Don't think they are contracted so free to walk

What Burren players are not going back? The only county player Burren have is heading to Australia IMO

mugsy03

You cant blame any county player not wanting to play under this mess that has started especially the burren ones. How can any person have any faith in laverty with his actions of the field with his club. County board should really be considering sacking him as every man woman and child knows he was at fault for this whole mess

Johnnysboys

Quote from: mugsy03 on October 17, 2023, 12:50:07 PMYou cant blame any county player not wanting to play under this mess that has started especially the burren ones. How can any person have any faith in laverty with his actions of the field with his club. County board should really be considering sacking him as every man woman and child knows he was at fault for this whole mess

How is it Laverty that was at fault here?? Am I missing something? You can't just assume things and hope that people jump on board with it... what grounds do they have to sack him?? Has there been gross misconduct in him carrying out his role for the county board - no.. can't sack him.  If Burren or any other clubs players don't want to go - that's fine - the county will always field a team - whether it's the ones we want or not is another thing..

downtothecore

Mugsy03... is that really you? The legend of Tyrone.

Taylor

Quote from: forevergreen on October 17, 2023, 11:56:37 AM

A county player doesnt have to discuss anything with his club. If he walks from the county then he walks.

Square Ball

to be honest there is so much fog and rumours about this issue I doubt very much the truth will ever come out, and if it did would it be believed?

as someone has already stated the County Board just want it to all blow over, but the referees dont seem like letting  it, and fair play to them.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

One life one club

To be honest some of the stuff kilcoo are being blamed on is laughable. Chinese whispers with a little extra added each time. As for the ref situation. Some weren't happy with PF being appointed to referee the final, he hasn't refereed a senior championship game this year (so I've been told by a different ref) The man has obvious history with kilcoo so surly you can't blame him stepping down or blame kilcoo objecting in the first place. The appeals procedure is there for a reason. Brian Higgins did a great job, he let the game play. Now this man is getting abuse from all angles. Everyone is quick to give out about kilcoo bullying cb etc when yous are doing just that. If only the cb supported kilcoo has much as the rest of the county thinks they do

PTC

Yes this is true, heard drumgath are going to pull all there players from the county, it will be devastating

Caitlin

It's an unfortunate turn of affairs but I think a lot of people 'piling on' here don't have even half the story and some are just deliberately creating division. I have no connection with any of the clubs involved but, reading the statement today, it appears the County board were in a no-win situation. I know this is a discussion board but when tensions are high it is best to stick to facts and opinions rather than speculation/half-truths/ 'I hear that...'. There are individuals here who give their best for their clubs and county; they don't need the abuse that some have fired ( especially on X/twitter).
Anyway, the county board and stewards/volunteers did a great job in hosting the three football finals, as did Down GAA TV, apart from not enough introduction time for the JFC final. Pairc Esler was in some condition, the programme was excellent and the commitment from all six teams was serious. I thought all the referees, linesmen and umpires did well too, which has got lost in the noise since. It was good to see the successful ladies team honoured and I wish Drumaness, Liatraoim and Kilcoo success in Ulster ( even though I disagree with Kilcoo's decision to go to the DRA over a referee appointment).