Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtothecore

It's a measure that should be considered but there needs to be further measures taken. There just seems to be a brawl every week in the gaa. Someone is going to be badly injured and even worse fatally injured at this rate. The video evidence helps and these guys that decide to through punches need a lot more that just a 1 game ban.

manwithnoplan

It's strange that players behave like this during football matches when I'd imagine most of them wouldn't be out throwing punches away from the pitch. There seems to be some sort of belief that fighting on a football pitch isn't the same as fighting outside a bar or anywhere else. The old "what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch" attitude maybe. But most players now are far stronger and heavier than ever, and a punch could do serious damage. Young kids seeing that could well be put off playing football too. It's pathetic.

Nanderson, not a bad shout about the information session. It's a start.

terrifictommy

I like the idea alright but I'm sure most people have been on a speed awareness course by now, does it genuinely change driving behaviour.
It's a big question, how do we stop this strange pattern of players acting like maniacs during a game, what switches their brain into that mode. Most of them wouldn't act like that on the street.

Nanderson

Quote from: terrifictommy on October 02, 2023, 05:49:57 PMI like the idea alright but I'm sure most people have been on a speed awareness course by now, does it genuinely change driving behaviour.
It's a big question, how do we stop this strange pattern of players acting like maniacs during a game, what switches their brain into that mode. Most of them wouldn't act like that on the street.
I'm not 100% sure on the ban times for striking but imagine that if you are a first time offender you get the minimum ban plus an awareness course, everytime there after you just get the maximum ban possible. Not sure how well it would work but the next stage for me would be getting the police involved

Lotto

I'm hearing there may have been justification for throwing a few slaps last night. Disgusting mouthing from the county champions if true.

Nanderson

Quote from: Lotto on October 02, 2023, 07:33:51 PMI'm hearing there may have been justification for throwing a few slaps last night. Disgusting mouthing from the county champions if true.
Much like we were talking would people throw the same punches in the real world, I'd doubt people would have the balls to say half the stuff they do on a pitch if they were at a bar or out and about. Wish there was a way to prove sledging claims as it all melts down to one word against another unless an official has overheard

downtothecore

Lotto...If there was any verbal it was not the cause of that disgraceful show as there was no slaps but punches thrown by the yella shirts. The video clearly shows it all.  It was a clean game to the point of yellow card tackle by n brannigan who was then punched by r Carr and then has head stood on by s mc conville and then darren lost the head. After this it was a disgraceful show from e brown and others at the kilcoo sub box was attracted by yella shirts . The kilcoo lads had to keep the head and take physical punishment and thankfully the officials seen it also. No one can be sure of what verbals were exchanged but when your getting punched .......

forevergreen

Quote from: downtothecore on October 02, 2023, 08:00:55 PMLotto...If there was any verbal it was not the cause of that disgraceful show as there was no slaps but punches thrown by the yella shirts. The video clearly shows it all.  It was a clean game to the point of yellow card tackle by n brannigan who was then punched by r Carr and then has head stood on by s mc conville and then darren lost the head. After this it was a disgraceful show from e brown and others at the kilcoo sub box was attracted by yella shirts . The kilcoo lads had to keep the head and take physical punishment and thankfully the officials seen it also. No one can be sure of what verbals were exchanged but when your getting punched .......

Yellow card tackle from N Brannigan..are you teeing up the appeal!! ..absolute BS he struck out unnecessarily and deservedly was red carded. Clonduff lost the plot at that stage and ref dealt with it. Conor Curran done what was needed. If you strike then you should be prepared to take the slap and consequences that follow. If a player is mouthing at all let alone anything personal then they deserve whatever comes. Hopefully a strong referee and linesmen with strong integrity are in place for the final who'll stand up to any of this crap that has long been ignored and excused.

downtothecore

I had a good view of incident at the match and I still think it deserved nothing more that a yellow. The reason he got red was due to the aftermath and official was under pressure to even the score. I agree with everything else you say....

terrifictommy

Was it really only a yellow card tackle though? It's a clever attempt to disguise as a clumsy tackle but for me the contact with both hands is on the head. But I've only seen it once.

But let's not get this sideways. The punching needs to stop and last night doesn't do our game any good. Doesn't reflect well for our county. Sledging or not, grown adults should be able to handle taunts, again I'm not condoning sledging either.

PTC

Quote from: forevergreen on October 02, 2023, 08:25:12 PM
Quote from: downtothecore on October 02, 2023, 08:00:55 PMLotto...If there was any verbal it was not the cause of that disgraceful show as there was no slaps but punches thrown by the yella shirts. The video clearly shows it all.  It was a clean game to the point of yellow card tackle by n brannigan who was then punched by r Carr and then has head stood on by s mc conville and then darren lost the head. After this it was a disgraceful show from e brown and others at the kilcoo sub box was attracted by yella shirts . The kilcoo lads had to keep the head and take physical punishment and thankfully the officials seen it also. No one can be sure of what verbals were exchanged but when your getting punched .......

Yellow card tackle from N Brannigan..are you teeing up the appeal!! ..absolute BS he struck out unnecessarily and deservedly was red carded. Clonduff lost the plot at that stage and ref dealt with it. Conor Curran done what was needed. If you strike then you should be prepared to take the slap and consequences that follow. If a player is mouthing at all let alone anything personal then they deserve whatever comes. Hopefully a strong referee and linesmen with strong integrity are in place for the final who'll stand up to any of this crap that has long been ignored and excused.
There was no sledging, if it was true why would e brown be apologising to Kilcoo player outside changing room. I seen a person on twitter saying it started over water getting sprayed on players leaving field. Not wise

ck

Hearing really horrible things that Kilcoo players are supposed to have said on pitch last night to instigate the fight. Is there no level too low for them?

PTC

Just seen videos of clonduff lads in Belfast last night continuing on there thuggish actions which is weird because there was no Kilcoo people there winding them up

TakeTheMark

Quote from: ck on October 02, 2023, 08:51:29 PMHearing really horrible things that Kilcoo players are supposed to have said on pitch last night to instigate the fight. Is there no level too low for them?

That can't be true, did you not hear Karl Lacey say again that his team is being targeted??

downtothecore

100% Correct they have been clearly targeted 2 games in a row.