Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on June 27, 2022, 02:12:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2022, 02:01:33 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 01:53:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2022, 12:17:27 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 11:55:29 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2022, 11:49:34 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 11:39:05 AM
The county board did nothing about eye-gouging in this county, he will get a ban but he doesn't deserve to be ostracized from our games. We are a family organization. I am sure he is feeling low and has said sorry.

He needs an example made of him. Gouging is commonplace in our game and this is the high profile case needed to put it to an end.

If your family organisation is one which will ignore or play down someone yanking at another family member's eyeball, then I don't want to be involved.

I am saying he needs a ban but he is young and we all make mistakes. Sure you defended your club and took them to croke park to appeal after the brawl in Kilcoo v RGU. I am sure you "played down" that incident to be powers that be. People in glass houses and all that  :)

No glass houses here Truth.

We were heavily punished for those events. But both the original sanctions that were imposed, and those that were then placed by the hearings committee, were ludicrously severe and as such were always going to be challenged.

I don't believe he intended to gouge him
A spur of the moment action that i am sure him and his family are disappointed in today
But the reaction on social media from some people is laughable especially from people whose clubs done worse. Cut the lad some slack

You don't believe he intended to gouge him?

Was it the bit when he moved his hand up Comer's face, or the bit when after arriving at the eyes, he curled his grip, that has helped you arrive at this conclusion?

The lad is 20, he'll learn from it and not do it again - Ban for the rest of the year from the sport or 6 game inter-county ban miss most of the league next year. Outcry over it has been overboard, people asking for his place of work trying to get him sacked (not knowing he's probably a student)

exactly, cut him some slack, we have seen a lot worse things happen on the football field, it wasn't nice but the outcry is mental towards a young player. I am sure his teammates in Clann Eireann will rally around him as I am sure he feels like crap today.

I'd like to think he feels like crap. No call for him even being there in the first place, never mind acting the big lad with a fella who would likely tie him in knots if they were to really go at it. Criticism is justified for things like this. He should have been in the stand, not charging in to escalate the situation. Fair play to Kelly for not hitting him a slap, showed great temperament (which he was then punished for).

forevergreen

What Tiernan Kelly done was disgraceful and he will rightly face a lengthy ban. It was wrong, stupid and indefensible so he'll have to take what comes, learn from it and ensure it never happens again. Funny that there wasnt the same outrage in Down when it was common enough practice a few years ago! Cowardly act then and a cowardly act now.

SamFever

Conor Laverty in the frame for the Meath Seniors job.

charlieTully

Hard not to be envious of our noisy neighbours. Are things going to change for us anytime soon?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: SamFever on June 27, 2022, 06:42:23 PM
Conor Laverty in the frame for the Meath Seniors job.

I highly doubt this..

MK

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
If half the Down people who went to Croke park yesterday come to the first league game next year then we will have a great crowd.
If ever a post backed up a posters name.

Truth hurts when you see  Down men and women in Croke Park wearing Mc Keever  Jerseys-no problem supporting our neighbours, but wearing their colours is beyond belief.

Band waggoners.

charlieTully

Quote from: MK on June 27, 2022, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
If half the Down people who went to Croke park yesterday come to the first league game next year then we will have a great crowd.
If ever a post backed up a posters name.

Truth hurts when you see  Down men and women in Croke Park wearing Mc Keever  Jerseys-no problem supporting our neighbours, but wearing their colours is beyond belief.

Band waggoners.

Surely didn't happen?

Mourne Red

Mooney done an interview with Parkinson on his podcast.. Seen Conan Doherty said it was worth a listen. Will share the link here for those interested https://twitter.com/conandoherty/status/1541535155575312385?s=21&t=PZmVaAluLDeVR8AnDzNUNQ

Mourne Red

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 27, 2022, 10:39:57 PM
Mooney done an interview with Parkinson on his podcast.. Seen Conan Doherty said it was worth a listen. Will share the link here for those interested https://twitter.com/conandoherty/status/1541535155575312385?s=21&t=PZmVaAluLDeVR8AnDzNUNQ

I'd be surprised if McCartan gets kept on after listening to that interview, Felt Mooney bit his tongue a bit and Parkinson pushed him for more but obviously feared of offending anyone. Good interview but shows we are in a terrible state

Smurfy123

Which part was good about it?
The bit where he was calling James on the frdiay looking to see could they drink at a training camp a few weeks before the championship or the sweepstake on the Saturday morning to get the buzz for drinking before the National?
Training was to easy yet he pulled his calf at training.
The easiest thing to do would have been to walk away after the league he says? Why would that be easy? He wasn't conditioned enough? He says that training wasn't hard enough so boys had to do their own and risk injures.
Jesus the mind baffles
Absolute shocking interview

Mourne Red

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 28, 2022, 08:19:22 AM
Which part was good about it?
The bit where he was calling James on the frdiay looking to see could they drink at a training camp a few weeks before the championship or the sweepstake on the Saturday morning to get the buzz for drinking before the National?
Training was to easy yet he pulled his calf at training.
The easiest thing to do would have been to walk away after the league he says? Why would that be easy? He wasn't conditioned enough? He says that training wasn't hard enough so boys had to do their own and risk injures.
Jesus the mind baffles
Absolute shocking interview

Good as in it cleared up a lot of speculation around what happened around the weekend and also shines a definite light on what we all know is that we need a new manager in charge. The point about training was that they didn't have the conditioning and hard training behind them to avoid muscle injuries like that which you will pick up if you've not got the gym work behind you and if a physio is giving a tougher session for players recovering from injury than the coaches are for those who are fit then that's ridiculous.

Truth hurts

It shows the mentality of the leadership group within Down. This man was captain and supposed to be leading us into battle but because James never returned a call he thinks he can lead a charge into the beer a few weeks before the championship. If you feel you are not fit, do extra sessions as every player is different.

I hope James stays on and continues to weed out this type of attitude, It was a baffling interview and I bet Parkinson thought all his Christmases came at once.

Sandstorm

The more you hear the more  correct you realise Eugene was.

Smurfy123

Imagine Kilcoo had a training camp planned and Conor Laverty (who doesn't drink) torturing Mickey Moran on the Friday to see could they go drinking the Saturday
They were going on a training weekend to get ready for a battle against Monaghan 3 weeks later and players wanted the drinking sorted on the Friday
Eugene Brannigan is 100% right
Time to weed out the rest

Truth hurts

The only way we are going to go further is to introduce a new culture with our players and players like Caolan etc cant be part of it.
If we go to division 4 then so be it and the younger lads learn their corn and come through with a new culture.
I have listened to that grand national story a few times now and it gets worse every time  ;D The captain of the team rings a manager on a Friday before a training weekend prior to a championship game to see if they need to take the dancing shoes.

You can blame the county executive, the county board etc but the players need to examine their own conscience. As Peter McGrath junior said on last week's podcast, the Rostrevor players are now starting to question themselves after years of blaming managers and boys throwing the dummies out. Now they are realizing what it takes to be a senior footballer.