Cork v Mayo 31/01/16

Started by larryin89, January 21, 2016, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

There is no end to yer dreaming of the end for Mayo . This team has 2  years left and then there will be another centred round AOS and Cillian for another 2 years , plenty of youth coming through Patrick Duncan , DOC , Conor loftus etc etc . I'll repeat it again and again , Mayo football has never been in such a good position in my time . Something very special happened in the horan era , you'll see in time .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Anybody dancing on Mayo's grave now might be a bit premature. Even when we hit rock bottom - like 2010 - we rebound fairly fast.
We've club teams in AI Junior and Intermediate AI club finals and a chance that Castlebar can make the senior. We'll be fine.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 29, 2016, 01:28:25 AM
Anybody dancing on Mayo's grave now might be a bit premature. Even when we hit rock bottom - like 2010 - we rebound fairly fast.
We've club teams in AI Junior and Intermediate AI club finals and a chance that Castlebar can make the senior. We'll be fine.

No ones dancing on anything and you know it. But your position is more precarious than you'll admit. Lads like McLoughlin, Higgins and Boyle are once in a generation players and don't have many years left playing, never mind playing at the top level, which is a different thing entirely.

And even Prenty is getting public about how ridiculously over revenue the amount spent by Connacht teams on IC prep is and it's clear as day Mayo are spending by a large amount the most of any of the Connacht counties.

rodney trotter

New Mayo manager Stephen Rochford will be shorn of 15 players as the Connacht champions open their 2016 national football league programme.

Mayo travel to Cork to commence their Division One campaign on Sunday and they are missing their Castlebar contingent (including Barry Moran, Tom Cunniffe and Patrick Durcan) as well as Keith Higgins, Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Seamus O'Shea, Chris Barrett and the O'Connor brothers, Diarmuid and Cillian.

With Hollymount-Carramore through to the All-Ireland intermediate club decider, Stephen and Darren Coen are also unavailable.

It's not an ideal backdrop to the beginning of Rochford's maiden league campaign at the helm and he has stated that top-flight survival is his goal this spring.

Be doing well with so many unavilable.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 29, 2016, 01:40:33 PM

New Mayo manager Stephen Rochford will be shorn of 15 players as the Connacht champions open their 2016 national football league programme.

Mayo travel to Cork to commence their Division One campaign on Sunday and they are missing their Castlebar contingent (including Barry Moran, Tom Cunniffe and Patrick Durcan) as well as Keith Higgins, Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Seamus O'Shea, Chris Barrett and the O'Connor brothers, Diarmuid and Cillian.

With Hollymount-Carramore through to the All-Ireland intermediate club decider, Stephen and Darren Coen are also unavailable.

It's not an ideal backdrop to the beginning of Rochford's maiden league campaign at the helm and he has stated that top-flight survival is his goal this spring.

D O Connor is fit he started for DCU on Tuesday. Of the above players only S O Shea,Cuniffe,K Higgins,C OConnor would be considered first choice when Mayo have everyone fit and with Barry Moran pushing hardest for a starting spot.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2016, 01:55:45 PM

D O Connor is fit he started for DCU on Tuesday. Of the above players only S O Shea,Cuniffe,K Higgins,C OConnor would be considered first choice when Mayo have everyone fit and with Barry Moran pushing hardest for a starting spot.

Andy Moran was the 16th man last year for a pedestrian set of forwards. Durcan is now a starter for Mayo, his foot the only thing really putting that off as long as this. Barrett usually starts when fully fit too, probably a better player than Cunniffe. Barry Moran a starter for last year's AI matches. So at least seven starters and a sub whose age and impact off the bench are the only reasons he isn't starting gone. That includes Mayo's main free-taker and point scorer.

Cork being Cork may flop but it would be a massive coup for Mayo to travel down and beat them with the players they have available.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 02:46:11 PM

Andy Moran was the 16th man last year for a pedestrian set of forwards. Durcan is now a starter for Mayo, his foot the only thing really putting that off as long as this. Barrett usually starts when fully fit too, probably a better player than Cunniffe. Barry Moran a starter for last year's AI matches. So at least seven starters and a sub whose age and impact off the bench are the only reasons he isn't starting gone. That includes Mayo's main free-taker and point scorer.

Cork being Cork may flop but it would be a massive coup for Mayo to travel down and beat them with the players they have available.

All a matter of opinion but I don't think Durcan,Barrett are starters when everyone is fit. Durcan down the road will be likely starter once Boyle calls time on his county career.

Barry Moran got more starts last year because his former club manager Pat Holmes selected him. I'd see Barry Moran as a 16th man under Rochford more than Andy Moran. The much talked about Evan Regan could fill in for C O Connor.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2016, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 02:46:11 PM

All a matter of opinion but I don't think Durcan,Barrett are starters when everyone is fit. Durcan down the road will be likely starter once Boyle calls time on his county career.

Barry Moran got more starts last year because his former club manager Pat Holmes selected him. I'd see Barry Moran as a 16th man under Rochford more than Andy Moran. The much talked about Evan Regan could fill in for C O Connor.

Durcan is a better half back already than Donie Vaughan ever has been in my honest opinion. Pace and intelligence on the ball. It was Conor Loftus who was the guy relied on for frees in the FBD and by all accounts was one of the few new names to do well. I'd be surprised if Regan was paracuted in to take the majority of frees like that.

Mayo have a serious injury list at the moment, same as us.

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 03:51:01 PM

Durcan is a better half back already than Donie Vaughan ever has been in my honest opinion. Pace and intelligence on the ball. It was Conor Loftus who was the guy relied on for frees in the FBD and by all accounts was one of the few new names to do well. I'd be surprised if Regan was paracuted in to take the majority of frees like that.

Vaughan was injured for the semi final replay last year. Durcan is only starting out his career and the best of luck to him but to automatically parachute him in front of a seasoned IC regular based on one appearance is daft.

Syferus

Quote from: Nihilist on January 29, 2016, 05:01:06 PM

Vaughan was injured for the semi final replay last year. Durcan is only starting out his career and the best of luck to him but to automatically parachute him in front of a seasoned IC regular based on one appearance is daft.

I consider Vaughan a liability as a back. It's actually underselling how good Durcan is comparing him to Vaughan honestly.

Vaughan might have a role as a HF but any time I've seen Mayo play or we've played them I've always felt he could be got at and was liable to cough the ball up out of position and leave a gaping hole in the defence. Particularly when he's playing CHB those are things you can't have if you want to win at the top level.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on January 29, 2016, 05:01:06 PM

I consider Vaughan a liability as a back. It's actually underselling how good Durcan is comparing him to Vaughan honestly.

Vaughan might have a role as a HF but any time I've seen Mayo play or we've played them I've always felt he could be got at and was liable to cough the ball up out of position and leave a gaping hole in the defence. Particular when he's playing CHB those are things you can't have if you want to win at the top level.

Believe it or not, Syf I agree with you. It's a conundrum really as far as Vaughan's concerned. He brings a lot of pace to the team, but where to play him is another thing altogether. He, as you say, isn't a traditional 'holding' number 6 type defender. He was kind of lost when he was at midfield last year, and his shooting isn't always prolific as a striker either, even though he gets the odd good score now and again. I don't know, maybe he would be better brought on from the bench later on in the year, when games are in the balance, like Dublin used MDMA to great effect last year. He's too pacy a player to be dropped altogether, but he's not able to hold the centre back position either. That's my opinion on him anyway. However, I would want to see more of Durcan to give him the automatic thumbs up. He might be good enough, time will tell.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

The Mayo team for Sunday's round Allianz Football League clash with Cork, in Páirc Uí Rinn at 2pm is:

1. Robbie Hennelly (Breaffy)
2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore);
3. Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
4. Shane McHale (Knockmore);
5. Lee Keegan (Westport, captain);
6. Caolan Crowe (Garrymore)
7. Shane Nally (Garrymore);
8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown);
9. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber);
10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore);
11. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy);
12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber);
13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites);
14. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe);
15. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole).

Lee Keegan will captain the team on the day. No captain for the season has been selected yet.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 29, 2016, 09:17:08 PM
The Mayo team for Sunday’s round Allianz Football League clash with Cork, in Páirc Uí Rinn at 2pm is:

11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy);
12. Diarmuid O’Connor (Ballintubber);

Lee Keegan will captain the team on the day. No captain for the season has been selected yet.
A stronger team named than Cork. 9 that started the All Ireland semi final and I was right about Regan replacing C O Connor.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2016, 09:31:24 PM
The Mayo team for Sunday's round Allianz Football League clash with Cork, in Páirc Uí Rinn at 2pm is:

A stronger team named than Cork. 9 that started the All Ireland SEMI final and I was right about Regan replacing C O Connor.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2016, 09:31:24 PM

A stronger team named than Cork. 9 that started the All Ireland semi final and I was right about Regan replacing C O Connor.

Did you look at the Mayo defence by any chance?