Ulster IFC and JFC Club Championships 2015

Started by DownFanatic, September 11, 2015, 10:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

What level or division in Kerry or Mayo do these team play in? I have played Junior football over a number of years and i would never have come across teams as strong as this, maybe a team have a county u-21 or 2 and a few minors but not county men outside of the rare exception. There is no way these 2 teams would be classed as Junior teams. I remember playing Drumgoon of Cavan 1 year and they were in Division 1 in Cavan when they won the All-ireland Junior.

No Intermediate Team in Derry, Tyrone, Armagh, Down can enter a junior championship if they play in division 2, likewise the division above, they can play up a championship but not down, Junior championship should be for Junior league teams only, not bottom of the table Division 2 teams or some teams somehow in Division 1, makes the whole thing a farce

general_lee

Could you imagine at county level, if we had senior inter and junior, and you'd a team like Down or Roscommon playing in the Junior. That's how I'd look at it.

twohands!!!

Templenoe 4-11 Ardnaree 1-9 10 minutes left

Hat-trick for Stephen O'Sullivan

Pat Spillane Junior comes on as a sub.

general_lee

twohands!!!

Pat Spillane Jr inherited the father's looks anyway - kicked a point there.

Templenoe 4-13 Ardnaree 1-9

twohands!!!

Wildweasel74

Its a bit like Man utd winning the Europa cup, dancing around  for winning at a level they should be embarrassed to play at with what they have.

Wildweasel74

Apparently half this team play for a divisional side or kenmare? damn strange Junior side

clarshack

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2016, 04:20:59 PM
Its a bit like Man utd winning the Europa cup, dancing around  for winning at a level they should be embarrassed to play at with what they have.

utd wouldn't even win the europa league!. a better comparison might be chelsea celebrating winning the europa league the season after winning the champions league.

Cunny Funt

Junior final was a mis match. The Intermediate final is a good watch with some fine scores.

clarshack

intermediate final is tight, 0-6 each at h/t.

these 2 teams would never be intermediate in Tyrone.

Nihilist

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2016, 04:49:59 PM
Apparently half this team play for a divisional side or kenmare? damn strange Junior side
The only way to beat them is to join them. Templenoe are currently a Division 1 side in Kerry and yes a lot of that team played divisional football at senior championship level. But that is the Kerry system

If you want to level the playing field then the same structures should be applied in Mayo and other counties.

Otherwise these mismatches will happen continuously. By   the way if you think it bothers the Templenoe lads well you can forget it. As far as they are concerned they have an All Ireland medal in their back pockets and a handy one at that.

In years to come all that will be remembered of the match is the result and a great win for Templenoe who swept all before them in their conquest of Ireland.

Wildweasel74

Well for example the Junior winners in Derry would be about the 33rd team level wise in Derry with 16 in the 1st and 14-16 in the 2nd, that's a proper junior level though Derry should operate a 12,12, in Div 1 and 2 and the rest in Junior, mean the mid division in Intermediate would be possible Junior champs

A team at division 1 level would never be allowed to compete at that level and that should be the case at a all-ireland junior club level, most of the teams in the north operate like this outside of Cavan and Monaghan

theticklemister

I have seen Templenoe at first hand when they came to the mainland to play John Mitchels. I would put John Mitchels as a team who would finish top 6 in Intermediate football in Derry. Templenoe although only winning by 8, could have won by 16 if the playing surface was better. Templenoe were a huge physical team. I had a few quid on them today at -4 points, easy easy money.