Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweeper 123

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/25/brexit-vision-england-perfidy-over-ireland-good-friday-agreemnt

'...This week, Brussels will publish its draft withdrawal agreement, a legally binding text under which the UK will, in effect, commit itself to keeping Northern Ireland in the single market and customs union, unless a future free trade deal or a magical technological solution manages somehow to avoid a hard border. It will also bind both parties to recognising in all negotiations the "paramount importance", as Theresa May wrote in her Article 50 letter, of the Belfast Agreement....'

The Iceman

I admittedly have not paid close enough attention to Brexit since it was first announced.  And now I'm personally affected as I look at a potential move home to the occupied 6.  I'm an Irish passport holder and by the end of this year all my kids will be also. But will that qualify them/me to live in the North? I think because I was born there I am ok. But not sure now of the kids or the Mrs. Originally we were looking at an Irish visa - now some people are saying we'll need a british one..

Anyone offer some advice based on what you know of Brexit and where it is headed?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AQMP

Quote from: The Iceman on February 26, 2018, 01:16:03 PM
I admittedly have not paid close enough attention to Brexit since it was first announced.  And now I'm personally affected as I look at a potential move home to the occupied 6.  I'm an Irish passport holder and by the end of this year all my kids will be also. But will that qualify them/me to live in the North? I think because I was born there I am ok. But not sure now of the kids or the Mrs. Originally we were looking at an Irish visa - now some people are saying we'll need a british one..

Anyone offer some advice based on what you know of Brexit and where it is headed?

Well we're probably headed into the abyss ;)

Where was your wife born and does she qualify for an Irish or British passport??

armaghniac

Likely Irish citizens will end up with more rights in NI than British ones.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: AQMP on February 26, 2018, 01:31:24 PM

Where was your wife born and does she qualify for an Irish or British passport??
She is a yank and doesn't qualify for either unfortunately - which is why we are unsure of what to apply for...will an Irish visa entitle her to live in the north? should i not get my kids Irish passports because technically they are not also naturalized british citizens?
I don't believe I'll have any bother but my concern is how to get them in and legal...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Quote from: The Iceman on February 26, 2018, 01:56:21 PM

She is a yank and doesn't qualify for either unfortunately - which is why we are unsure of what to apply for...will an Irish visa entitle her to live in the north? should i not get my kids Irish passports because technically they are not also naturalized british citizens?
I don't believe I'll have any bother but my concern is how to get them in and legal...

I think you and the kids are fine Iceman if you were born in the North you are entitled to British and Irish citizenship so your kids are as well but your wife would not be . . . where are your wifes parents from?

The Iceman

Quote from: screenexile on February 26, 2018, 02:06:59 PM

I think you and the kids are fine Iceman if you were born in the North you are entitled to British and Irish citizenship so your kids are as well but your wife would not be . . . where are your wifes parents from?
Brooklyn...next generation are from Italy, Sicily and Brooklyn...two potentials there to apply for EU citizenship through grandparent but not sure if necessary... only one side of the family are 'fresh off the boat" at the grandparent level

armaghniac

Quote from: The Iceman on February 26, 2018, 02:34:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 26, 2018, 02:06:59 PM

Brooklyn...next generation are from Italy, Sicily and Brooklyn...two potentials there to apply for EU citizenship through grandparent but not sure if necessary... only one side of the family are 'fresh off the boat" at the grandparent level

Iceman, search out the recent case of the Derry woman and her US husband, as this may be relevant. You'll have to get permission from the British, when I say you may have more rights, as an EU national you can bring a spouse on more advantageous terms than British citizens.

The Iceman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/couple-wins-appeal-for-visa-after-derry-wife-refuses-to-identify-as-british-1.3288670
Thanks very much armaghniac that definitely helps clarify what could potentially happen. In this case she applied for the visa after they were married in the North but basically I think we enter the country then apply for the same visa. I might reach out to a local representative and see what they could do to help given Sinn Fein's involvement in this case...

armaghniac

Quote from: The Iceman on February 26, 2018, 07:38:01 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/couple-wins-appeal-for-visa-after-derry-wife-refuses-to-identify-as-british-1.3288670
Thanks very much armaghniac that definitely helps clarify what could potentially happen. In this case she applied for the visa after they were married in the North but basically I think we enter the country then apply for the same visa. I might reach out to a local representative and see what they could do to help given Sinn Fein's involvement in this case...

They have an income test for British citizens, I suspect if you are clear of that then it might not be a  problem in any case.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on February 26, 2018, 09:13:51 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 26, 2018, 07:38:01 PM

They have an income test for British citizens, I suspect if you are clear of that then it might not be a  problem in any case.

There's a deputy job at one of the local schools, shit money but the free health for whole family and decent pension. Though no danger of having to be a have a go hero stuff! And you must leave your guns in the states, unless you're moving to Crossmaglen  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 27, 2018, 01:59:30 PM
Important Brexit debate you may have missed.

https://www.bigissue.com/culture/alan-partridge-vs-malcolm-tucker-how-our-iannucci-exclusive-broke-internet/

"You want to have your cake, eat it, puke it back up, then sell it back to the cake shop at a profit and have the baker deported"

Great line!!!

Orior

So no hard border on Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43215286

Yet I remember Unionists patting each other on the back after getting a guarantee that the occupied six would be no different from Britain.

How is this circle going to be squared?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hereiam

Sammy not a happy bunny