Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthe40

eh, did u see some of Baillys defensive blocks in games over the xmas period, throwing himself at shots etc.. can't categories him with de gea, Maguire lindelof etc

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 08, 2021, 09:31:18 AM

This is where the criticism of Maguire gets out of hand, there's nothing wrong wrong with his defending for their 1st goal. United's shape let them down which ended up in 3 Everton attackers on 3 United defenders.  As for the 3rd goal the clip doing the rounds on social media isn't from when the free kick was taken it was just after; Every free kick United decide Maguire gets around quick to try and cover, its all De Gea's fault. A proper keeper would be gathering that up in  front of Calvert Lewin.

1st goal would be defended with a centre back with more pace in that situation. Everton played the same through passes in the recent league Cup tie which a quicker Bailly dealt with. 

Already said DeGea was too slow off his line for the 3rd goal but one can't ignore the role the captain played in it either.

Direct screen shot I've taken.

Marking no one, hand in the air playing for offside as the ball is knocked down and he still had his hand in the air when the ball was in the net. He should be the defender looking to win that header or at least marking Calvert Lewin tightly.

He did not get round quickly to cover on that free kick either. A mountain of goals United have conceded from simliar free kicks or corner kicks this season if that continues no trophy (FA Cup or Europa league) will be won and United will struggle to get a top 4 place in the league

BennyCake

I never understood players raising their hands appealing for offside, or worse still, stopping altogether. Especially now when VAR is in play.

If I was a manager I'd feckin' swing for any player who stopped instead of getting in there and clearing the danger.

NAG1

Maguire does get a touch from fans when things don't go well and some of it is deserved.

He could be more aggressive defensively in the air from set pieces, but teams know that he is decent in the air and they plan accordingly. His pace is his main issue for me and this is negated when he plays with Eric, but OGS seems to prefer Lindelof as a partner. If this is the case then they need to find full backs who can sense danger and dont get played around, Shaw has a good head for this AWB doesn't.

It was obvious early in the game that the danger was in the channels either side of the CB's and that is how they got in for DeGea's howler. Teams will have now worked on this as a way to get at them, so there needs to be a tweak to sort this.

Boycey

Quote from: NAG1 on February 09, 2021, 01:59:31 PM
Maguire does get a touch from fans when things don't go well and some of it is deserved.

He could be more aggressive defensively in the air from set pieces, but teams know that he is decent in the air and they plan accordingly. His pace is his main issue for me and this is negated when he plays with Eric, but OGS seems to prefer Lindelof as a partner. If this is the case then they need to find full backs who can sense danger and dont get played around, Shaw has a good head for this AWB doesn't.

It was obvious early in the game that the danger was in the channels either side of the CB's and that is how they got in for DeGea's howler. Teams will have now worked on this as a way to get at them, so there needs to be a tweak to sort this.

Bailly has been available for only approx a third of the games played in his time at Utd. He would seem the best fit with Maguire but can you blame a manager for not staking too much on him when he's always injured. He goes into the past year of his contract this summer so I'd say he'll likely be sold.

Diallo with the match day squad today, I wonder will he get a few minutes.

OgraAnDun

And Benny will be delighted to know that DDG isn't with the match squad.

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on February 09, 2021, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 09, 2021, 01:59:31 PM

Bailly has been available for only approx a third of the games played in his time at Utd. He would seem the best fit with Maguire but can you blame a manager for not staking too much on him when he's always injured. He goes into the past year of his contract this summer so I'd say he'll likely be sold.

+1

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Boycey on February 09, 2021, 02:07:57 PM

Yes Bailly is too injury prone to rely on. Instead of wasting the summer transfer window on lad that Dortmund weren't going to sell more of an effort and focus should have been placed on signing a centre back and then even worse they allowed they January transfer window to close without any signing.

If named on the bench I'd say Diallo will get at least 10 minutes tonight. Has been very impressive with U23s will be interesting to see if he can bring that type of form into the first team.

Milltown Row2

Jesus, I nearly fell asleep through that first half...

Utd have no playmaker outside of Bruno.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

I've had a bad feeling about this game since it started. I think West Ham are going to nick this.

Rich Ricci

That's 120 mins that won't exactly live long in the memory but a win is a win. Think Jenas summed it all up when trying to pick his MOTM.

Cunny Funt

Job done and deserved win. BBC didn't want to tell it like it was but that match ruined by Moyes negative tactics.  Watford in round 3 with players missing had more ambition to attack.  BennyCake could have played in goal for United tonight.

pbat

Quote from: Rich Ricci on February 09, 2021, 10:08:01 PM
That's 120 mins that won't exactly live long in the memory but a win is a win. Think Jenas summed it all up when trying to pick his MOTM.
Yeah but to pick Maguire? Ok he didn't do much wrong but its typical of English pundits, over do the praise and hype and then wont call them out for the likes of Saturdays game. Also Rashford gets a very easy ride, the chances he misses ratio to what he scores is poor and he's only slightly less lazier than Martial.

snoopdog

Quote from: pbat on February 09, 2021, 10:20:36 PM
Yeah but to pick Maguire? Ok he didn't do much wrong but its typical of English pundits, over do the praise and hype and then wont call them out for the likes of Saturdays game. Also Rashford gets a very easy ride, the chances he misses ratio to what he scores is poor and he's only slightly less lazier than Martial.
Yes Rashfords decision making can be poor, but to call him lazy. That's ridiculous.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: pbat on February 09, 2021, 10:20:36 PM

Awk I think he just picked him for the sake of it such was the way the game played out. Wouldn't call Rasford lazy but agree that his finishing has been poor for the last while.

For what it's worth I actually thought martial looked more natural when switched to the left after cavani came on.