Wireless connection help

Started by tyrone girl, April 24, 2010, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Nope nothing - my brothers ipods working with the wireless connection though but none of the laptops will work.

wicked

Do you have a cordless phone? Do you live close enough to neighbors who may have a cordless phone? Those things interfere with wireless routers all the time... I had to buy a special type of router to deal with the interference.

deiseach

Change the wireless channel on the router.

J OGorman

Quote from: deiseach on April 25, 2010, 11:23:27 PM
Change the wireless channel on the router.

yip, that'll sort it, prob set to 'auto'.

best to call your internet provider and ask them for directions

deiseach

Quote from: J OGorman on April 25, 2010, 11:49:26 PM
best to call your internet provider and ask them for directions

They won't do much else. The signal is reaching the router fine, so either there's a dodgy microwave in the area scrambling the signal or the router is broken. It's as simple as that

tyrone girl

How do i change the wireless channel? I been holding off phoning aol cos they are useless and usually turns into a session of me sitting on the phone to india for over an hour listening to scripted rubbish before losing the head and hanging up  >:(

ardmhachaabu

Turn everything off.  Then power on the router and leave it alone for 10 minutes or so.

Then start with the laptops, one at a time
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

deiseach

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 26, 2010, 09:22:37 AM
How do i change the wireless channel? I been holding off phoning aol cos they are useless and usually turns into a session of me sitting on the phone to india for over an hour listening to scripted rubbish before losing the head and hanging up  >:(

I've PM'ed you

tyrone girl

Deiseach if i had ya id kiss ya  ;D - followed exactly what you said and my laptops picking up the wireless again.
Thanks a million - much appreciated.

One thing tho - my brothers still isnt connecting - do i have to do that thing with the speedtouch on his laptop as well?

tyrone girl

ahrhgghghgghgh stupid bloody thing has stopped again. Worked for about 20 mins on me laptop then isnt working again

deiseach

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 27, 2010, 08:21:18 PM
ahrhgghghgghgh stupid bloody thing has stopped again. Worked for about 20 mins on me laptop then isnt working again

I think the wireless on your router is faulty. Changing the channel on your router changed the frequency on which the router transmitted the signal which gave you a connection briefly but was no more effective than turning the router upside down. If you had only one computer I'd say it was the computer but if two PC's are acting the same way then all that's left is the wireless itself. Try a few different channels - there's thirteen of them - but ultimately it looks like the router's wireless is knacked.

tyrone girl

It had been at number 1 so changed it to 11 that last time and it gave me brief connection - changed it to 6 there this time and its staying on - yipeeee. Many thanks - i owe ya one

deiseach

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 27, 2010, 09:39:13 PM
It had been at number 1 so changed it to 11 that last time and it gave me brief connection - changed it to 6 there this time and its staying on - yipeeee. Many thanks - i owe ya one

Good to hear. Fingers crossed