Martin Cole gets four week suspension

Started by Out in Front, June 11, 2008, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out in Front

This is up on the UTV website and Logie did a piece about it on TV this afternoon.

Martin Cole gets four week suspension

Problems are mounting for Down ahead of Saturday`s Ulster championship replay with Tyrone in Newry.

Down defender Martin Cole has been handed a four week suspension arising out of a second half incident with Tyrone`s Davy Harte.

Harte had his nose broken when Cole lashed back.

He was given a yellow card by referee David Coldrick but the disciplinary committee have handed the player a four week suspension as a result.

If Down win on Saturday it means he will also miss the Ulster semi-final.

T O Hare

f**king joke,   :o he had possesion of the ball and went to shrug Harte off, it was nt intentional, a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Onlooker

Does anyone agree that this trial by Television has become ridiculous?.  I certainly think it has.

bridgegael

if true its a fuckin disgrace,  he shrugged off the tackle, no intent watsoever.  sure he got booked for it,  thought there could be nothin done when ref takes action.  complete sham!!! :o
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

bridgegael

Quote from: Onlooker on June 11, 2008, 05:42:40 PM
Does anyone agree that this trial by Television has become ridiculous?.  I certainly think it has.

it definately has!  sure them cnuts on sunday game try and say it was as bad as Docs thump the week before! anyone that even thinks of comparing them needs their head examined!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

screenmachine

Quote from: bridgegael on June 11, 2008, 05:47:28 PM
if true its a fuckin disgrace,  he shrugged off the tackle, no intent watsoever.  sure he got booked for it,  thought there could be nothin done when ref takes action.  complete sham!!! :o

apparently if the ref books the player at the time of the incident, they then can be asked to review the footage later and are then asked if they think they took adequate action at the time, if they say no I think the CCCC come in to deal with it, think I read it in the Irish News this week?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

mournerambler

Have to take the same view as 'brigegael' on this one, this is going to open the floodgates for suspensions by these dickheads in high places,the player was dealt with at the time by the ref & now they undermine his authority by handing out this punishment. Will they be looking at every tackle now to try & hand out retrospective suspensions?

Rois

Although I am shooting us in the foot here, is this not the same situation as Ricey's foul back in 05 that ended up with a successful appeal?  Was this put into place in the aftermath of that?

AN other

Was this the shrug off that Tony Davis was highlighting on "The Sunday Game". The comparison of this to Fergal Doherty's punch the week before was a joke, two completely different scenarios. When the ball is there and in play more toleration is generally (rightly) given to any loose arms unless there's obvious intent. There was no obvious intent and to compare it to Doherty's punch off the ball last week was just plain stupid.

INDIANA

correct deciision in my view at least we're getting a bit of consistency now.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Sorry, whatever about the dubious mechanics of this suspension, but that's total bollix; he knew exactly where his elbow was going.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

superblues

D4S

This is an absolute disgrace yes he should have got a yellow card for carelessness more than anything by throwing the arm baack to shrug off the tackle, but there's no way there was any intent to break hartes nose, trial by television what a fuckin joke the game getting more professional every year I wonder how long it will be before they start fining the players when they get yellow carded or sent off!!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

superblues

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 11, 2008, 06:23:39 PM

Sorry, whatever about the dubious mechanics of this suspension, but that's total bollix; he knew exactly where his elbow was going.
the back of his hand hit him not his elbow