Rankings in Football - from Irish Independent

Started by dec, December 11, 2006, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote17th is awfully high for county Down

If you get a reputation for early rising, you can stay in bed until noon......

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Star Spangler

Some of you boys get very worked up about rankings.  There's no medals for being ranked highly.  The only rank that matters is when you're climbing the steps in the Hogan in September.  I couldn't care less if Tyrone was ranked 34th - it's how we perform in 2007 that I care about.

FermPundit

when we haven't won anything rankings become very important!!  ;D
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ONeill

Rankings smankings. When Tyrone won in 2003 and 2005 they were never top of the rankings list. When Armagh won it they weren't top. When Kerry won it this year I'd say many wouldn't have had them top at the start of the year.

However tis all a bit of craic. A bit like Celebrity Come Dancing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mayo4Sam

Its exactly like strictly come dancing, couldn't have come up with a better analogy  ;)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

nrico2006

On performance Tyrone would be down the list due to the obvious situation last year.  But on opinion surely Tyrone should be number 1, they have beat Kerry in their last 2 championship meetings in 03 and 05. and with a fully fit team next year Id be confident they will do it again.  The only other change I would make would be to swicth fermanagh and wexford, irrespective of the championship win they would be a better side, and I dont particularly like them even.  But Derrys ranking as higher than fermanagh is just!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

realredhandfan

Has the GAA Board rankings thread been moved over from the old board.  From memory Its fairly comparable to Brehenys.. Did the auld tart copy it?

dubnut

"But on opinion surely Tyrone should be number 1, they have beat Kerry in their last 2 championship meetings in 03 and 05"

Kerry are the champs, Tyrone lost their first game and then went out of the championship in the play offs this year.
And did feck all in the league.
Yes they had injuries but you cant honestly put them as no1 on that basis.

Based on who beat who last I could argue that Dublin be ahead as they beat Tyrone in the last competitive game and made the semis.
But you cant judge it on beating a team ahead of you.
then Derry can claim to be ahead of Tyrone, and Longford to be ahead of Derry and therefore Tyrone who Derry beat.
Its not an accurate way of judging.

If Tyrone come back injury free and prove they dont need Canavan then maybe you will have a case this time next year.

Bogball XV

Quote from: FermPundit on December 11, 2006, 05:45:13 PM
13th is respectable but surely we should be higher in the rankings than Derry and Wexford??

How are these rankings arrived at?
Why would ye be higher than Derry??

youbetterbelieveit

limerick's position is probably just about right.

Kerry Mike

There's a great view from up here on our lofty perch....but its a quick fall back down to Cork's level,
so we will enjoy it while we have it.

As someone else said, its having Sam Maguire for the year that really matters.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

The Flamin

as a lily i have to say longford are well below us but def would have taken us last year. to be fair though once you go down the numbers there is little between the teams.

nrico2006

Dubnut, as it was stated these are opinion, not based on last years champions but on the best team.  So I was simply stating that Tyrone are the better side, they are in at 2 in the rankings, and that is nothing to do with last years, otherwise on facts they would be around 10/11.  But why put them at 2 and not 1, as on their day they are probably the best.  We've heard it b4 about injuries, and it is a fact.  Tyrone cant be judged on games such as derry/louth/laois when they were missing up to 7/8 starting players from their best side.  They had a poor start the league, but turned it around and had some good wins, notably over a full strength kerry.  As for the Canavan debate, he was/is a great player.  But lots of people are making an issue out of how tyrone will cope without him.  In 2005 he rarely played, he hit 1-1 in the final which was great but I think tyrone showed they can survive without him.  The Ulster finals of that year against armagh, canavan wasnt involved in PLAY, and against urselves.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dubnut

Nrico, I just dont agree that form from a year and a half ago should mean they rank no 1 now.
Simple as that.
They may well win next year with a full team, or may not.
As you say, its all about opinions and this talk of ranking can only cause arguments, and doesnt mean a thing.
I'm sure Kerry wouldnt be upset to be at no2 on this list while Sam is in their possesion.