Connacht Club Championship

Started by stephenite, November 06, 2007, 01:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

I presume he is deel rover.....he did a very ordinary job with our minors last yr and speaking to a few minors recently the players arent that impressed by him. I expected more to be honest. Only one great showing against Galway, but in the league and other championship games our minors looked like a bunch of sheep being chased by a wolf. I see about 5 of there games last yr and was a very frustrated man.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 07, 2007, 11:15:08 AM
Is ohara far away from starting does anyone know?

The cast is off and he has been trianing for last 2 weeks. Not sure if he is in line to start but can't imagine them leaving him on the sideline if he is raring to go

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2007, 09:23:55 PM
St Brigid's travel to Tuam to play Killererin in their own backyard next Sunday - live on TG4 I believe.
Hopefully the long gap since the Ros final on 30th Sept.won't come against them.

Are Kilererin highly rated? Assume with Joyce they will be a force.

I know Brigids had Jack o'connor down from Kerry over seeing one training session. Suppose they are missing the input from o'Mahoney..

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on November 07, 2007, 04:30:11 PM
St Brigid's travel to Tuam to play Killererin in their own backyard next Sunday - live on TG4 I believe.
Hopefully the long gap since the Ros final on 30th Sept.won't come against them.

I know Brigids had Jack o'connor down from Kerry over seeing one training session. Suppose they are missing the input from o'Mahoney..

Killererin actually are a club with a very small pick especially compared to some of their rivals in the greater Tuam area such as Tuam Stars, Corofin, etc. They are a very tight bunch however as many small clubs are. They haven't done to well outside Galway though in recent years and have had to watch Corofin, Caltra and Salthill all win All-Ireland's even though Killererin have probably been the most consistent team in Galway over the past decade.

Padraig is still pulling the strings for them. Fairly rolled back the years with a fantastic display against Milltown in the county final. He was both creator and finisher that day as Nicky Joyce was held pretty well by the scans. Tommie Joyce is still playing very good club football too.

Not sure how they'll get on against Brigid's. As I said Killererin haven't done themselves justice outside Galway yet so surely they'll get it right one year. The game being in Tuam Stadium might tip it their way but hard one to call IMO.

stephenite

Quote from: Mano on November 07, 2007, 10:29:22 AM
Have Ballina always played their Connaught club games in Ballina. Whe did Ballina pitch get county groud status. Whe was the last time a county match was played in Ballina?

Yes, always played home Connacht Club games in Ballina, in fact this is the first time we will have played a Sligo team in the Connacht Club Championship anywhere but Markievicz Park. I don't think that County Ground status is necessary for holding games of these status - but I assume your ground has to be able to accomadate a certain capacity, which we can do comfortably.

guy crouchback

after the county final a member of the county board (feeney i think) approached  the Ballina chairman and told him that they expected Ballina to play the rest of their games in Castlebar. he was politely told to f**k off.
as the county board now own McHale park suppose they want every gate they can get.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on November 07, 2007, 04:30:11 PM

Killererin are a very good footbaling side and along with Corofin have been one of the most consistent sides in Galway over the past 10 years.  They are absolutely superb at holding on to possession and eking out crucial scores when a game is very tight as they demonstrated vs NUIG and Salthill in the Galway championship.

Bridgets are a decent side but it took a wonder strike from Karol Mannion in the dying moments of their game v Corofin last year (were dire 2yrs ago v Salthill in Pearse Stadium) to win through and to be honest Killererin have alot more fire power than Corofin.  With the game being in Tuam its like a home match for Killererin I just think the lads from Barna Dearg will pull through by a few points.

stephenite

Quote from: guy crouchback on November 08, 2007, 04:45:56 PM
after the county final a member of the county board (feeney i think) approached  the Ballina chairman and told him that they expected Ballina to play the rest of their games in Castlebar. he was politely told to f**k off.
as the county board now own McHale park suppose they want every gate they can get.

Someone tried this before - it's going back a few years now. County Board official explained that any County Champions they had a "duty" to play in a central location so the whole county could have the opportunity to watch them, think he wandered off after everyone fell on the ground laughing at the notion of great swathes of people from Ballinrobe travelling to watch the Stephenites play

Mano

Should be a interesting game at the weekend. I would expect O'Hara to start, where he will play and what role he will have is anyones guess. Don't think there are any other injuries-full panel to choose from for first time in the championship.

Ballina have an excellent sextet of forwards and the Tour defense has been excellent all year-the Haran, Brady battle should be interesting. However Tour haven't came up against anything near the quality of forwards Ballina possess. I expect Tour to funnel players behind the ball and try to frustrate the Ballina forwards and then break at speed with fast runners like O'Hara and Egan.

Ballina's attitude to the game will be key i think-if they are any way complacent Tour will have great chance. However they will have learned for the Curry experience of a few years ago. Also factor in Ballina enforced 6 week championship break since Mayo county final and possible lack of focus since and you never know we just might nick it. Here's hoping

sligoman2

Hello all - long time no speak.  The bastards have shut down the site at work.

Obvioulsy a difficult assignemt for Tourlestrand and Ballina would be favourites but that is the way we want it.

I expect no more than a point or two at the final with hopefully Tourlestrane on top.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

dodo

Best of luck to the Stephenites tomorrow and on their quest for further glory.

Tatler Jack

Brigids leading at half time - 3-4 to 0-7. Good entertaining stuff from both teams.

sligoman2

Ballina 1.3  Tourlestrane 0-3

Dreadful stuu - hoping for a better second half
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Tatler Jack

Good win for Brigids 4-10 to 1-11. Better team all round but great display from Padraig Joyce for Killererin

mannix

Ballina have a lot of work to do to beat the roscommon crowd.And the Hurlers have a lot more to do to beat the galway champions.

Credit must be paid to the Ballina club, by anyones standards they are quite a club, hurling and football provincial finalists.
Also happy to hear ciaran macdonald is still playing very well with crossmolina.