Failure

Started by Pangurban, December 01, 2006, 02:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 01, 2006, 02:37:00 AM
QuoteIndeed it is now generally accepted that Baseball is derived from Rounders in some form or other, as it has been played in this islands for a couple of hundred years now and was probably brought over to America by the early settlers
Don't you just love that. We started baseball. Wonder what Babe Ruth thought of that. Maybe that cricket theory was right after all. Please accept my apologies for all the puns.

In fairness lots of irish lads went over and made a name for themselves in baseball.
Mickey "The Mick" Mantel was 1st generation irish.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

BallyhaiseMan

lost a County Final in Rounders for Ballyhaise/Castletara when i was in 6th class in St Marys National School Ballyhaise.... Under 12's...
The Girls under 12's and Under`14's won their county finals though and got to compete in Ulster...
Its something id have probably played on if the competitions had been in place...Theres only senior mens and womens after those lower age groups.

never kickt a ball

Cheers Bally that puts it in perspective. Do you think this new drive by the GAA will help or has anyone heard any talk about it?

Daddy_Cool

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 01, 2006, 09:46:26 AM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 01, 2006, 02:37:00 AM
QuoteIndeed it is now generally accepted that Baseball is derived from Rounders in some form or other, as it has been played in this islands for a couple of hundred years now and was probably brought over to America by the early settlers
Don't you just love that. We started baseball. Wonder what Babe Ruth thought of that. Maybe that cricket theory was right after all. Please accept my apologies for all the puns.

In fairness lots of irish lads went over and made a name for themselves in baseball.
Mickey "The Mick" Mantel was 1st generation irish.

Mickey Mantle had no Irish connections. He was from Oklahoma. Very few Irish born players ever played pro baseball, those that did were in the 19th century and moved to the States as children. Softball is almost the exact same as the Irish version of rounders. The only real difference is in Irish rounders the ball used is a sliothar. English rounders and our version of the game are very different indeed although international games have been played.

Americans were led to believe that a guy called Abner Doubleday, from Cooperstown NY, where the baseball hall of fame is located, was the inventor of baseball. It was Americas pasttime and therefore had to have been an American invention. However, games like baseball have been played in Europe for centuries. The earliest know reference to the game is in some German manuscript from the middle ages. In fact the game was called Baseball in England even before the English had colonies in North America. As far as I know there are variations of the game played in Romania, Finland, Ireland and England.

Even though there are very little differences between rounders and softball, the American game is now more popular in Ireland than our own version.

never kickt a ball

Nice one cool. A bit more balanced and detailed than the GAA's general acceptance that baseball
Quoteis derived from Rounders in some form or other, as it has been played in this islands for a couple of hundred years now and was probably brought over to America by the early settlers

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 01, 2006, 04:28:39 PM
Cheers Bally that puts it in perspective. Do you think this new drive by the GAA will help or has anyone heard any talk about it?

Im sure it will help,Teams from under 14(16,18 and minor) up to senior need to be set up,there were only ever 3 or 4 clubs in the county that played it,but those clubs more or often not won the Ulster Title and went on to compete and win the All-Irelands...wouldnt mind going back to play it at all..if a senior mens team was set up in Ballyhaise in future....