Cricket

Started by Jack Dempsey, November 23, 2006, 06:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Follow on 

the team batting second continuing for their second innings, having fallen short of the "follow on target". The definition of this target has changed over time, but is currently 200 runs behind the first teams score in a 5 day game, 150 runs in a 4 day game, 100 runs in a 3 day event and 75 in a single day.

Playing on 

for the batsman to hit the ball with his bat but only succeed in diverting it onto the stumps. The batsman is thus out bowled.

;)
Testing Accessibility

charlie linkbox

Point taken. My apologies for questioning you.

I'm actually bowled over at your knowledge of the game.

charlie linkbox

Ah, I have a fair idea of the basic concept and rules of the game and that'll do me. Wouldn't be au-fait with all the terminology though.

ziggysego

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 23, 2006, 11:10:45 PM
I would be afraid that Ziggy could be run out of Greencastle if the locals got wind of his indepth knowledge of cricket.

I certain would have to say good bye
Testing Accessibility

charlie linkbox

That was a reply of the first order.

never kickt a ball

Sorry for the break in the pun-fun

Sorry O'Neill were you trying to declare and end to the pun fun?

fearglasmor

He was trying to bring it to a short stop.

charlie linkbox

That's why I posted after O'Neill. I wanted to resume the pun-fun and was afraid his reign would stop play.

never kickt a ball

Yes Charlie. It did seam that way

charlie linkbox

And I suppose O'Neill will now appeal for us to get back onto the thread topic.

Spiritof98

Charlie, I think thats WIDE of the mark there
I'll go back if Marsdens back

winghalfun

No comment from most of our regular posters. No, not a dickie bird from any of them.

tayto

Heard that on Newstalk alright. Thank god for the GAA so!!!!

Quote from: ONeill on November 23, 2006, 09:58:31 PM
Sorry for the break in the pun-fun, but this was a topic I researched a while ago, having read an article in Ireland's Own! Believe it or not, in 1882, Michael Cusack thought that the best game suited to the Irish was cricket. In a column he wrote at the time, he said that cricket was an Irish game and encouraged young men to take it up and purchase Irish made stumps etc. I was serious about the All-Ireland reference above, and even our GAA inter-county structure took its lead from the English All-England Club. By the 1880s the rural cricket structure was a rival to that which existed in England. A boyo who researched the origins of Cricket found the earliest reference to the game came in Irish literature when Cuchulainn 'defended the hole'. He came to the conclusion that thte game of Cricket was invented in Ireland.

Are you for real? That's news to me, I know Dev said rugby was suited to the irish persona. 'xcuse me ignorance but how does 'defending the hole' refer specifically to cricket? ... or is this an elaborate wind up i'm not getting? ... surely that could be defending the goal? as in hurling ...

Cricket and hurling have very similar histories other then that, landlords used to have teams made up of their tennents and they'd take on other landlords etc.

i know hockey is thought to have come from winter hurling, and that summer hurling is what we know today as hurling, or so the history of the GAA book i read awhile back said anyways.

2gdias

of course the Aristocracy felt that with a combination of their Westyesminister style of government and the game of cricket for the plebs, that all would be well with them primarily and the world in general, at least the bits interested to exploit.

It is the most boreing game on earth.

:'(

never kickt a ball

Wing and Spirit you are both hams!!!