Footie v Hurling

Started by In the Onion Bag, June 16, 2007, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Many hurling afficianados do have a chip on the shoulder when it comes to pointless comparisons. A few weeks ago a few hurlers were asked on the BBC Championship programme who they thought would win the championships in Hurling and Football. When it came to the football question, most smirked and uttered something like 'not knowing much about football' before giving a vague and unconvincing prediction.

Many football fans, even though they've been brought up with absolutely no hurling, will embrace the game. Unfortunately, esp in the North here, hurling fans feel the need to display some kind of apathy towards football, berating its majority following.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cicfada

Look,  is the bloody Lim v Tipp game on  TV or not?????

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ONeill on June 19, 2007, 08:14:33 PM
Many hurling afficianados do have a chip on the shoulder when it comes to pointless comparisons. A few weeks ago a few hurlers were asked on the BBC Championship programme who they thought would win the championships in Hurling and Football. When it came to the football question, most smirked and uttered something like 'not knowing much about football' before giving a vague and unconvincing prediction.

Many football fans, even though they've been brought up with absolutely no hurling, will embrace the game. Unfortunately, esp in the North here, hurling fans feel the need to display some kind of apathy towards football, berating its majority following.

I would agree with you there..I think Cyril Farrell is the worst culprit for this he's an awful pain in the hole...

A few of my mates from Kilkenny actually think the Laois v Wexford match which is on the same day as the Leinster Hurling Final should be on before the minor hurling match thus giving perference to a minor hurling match over a senoir football match
Either way i love both,but i did grow up in a hurling household and have a slightly bigger love for hurling
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Square Ball

Enjoy watching both and also played both, never set the world on fire at either, also I have done the foundation course at both as well
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ludermor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2007, 08:53:23 PM

Either way i love both,but i did grow up in a hurling household and have a slightly bigger love for hurling

So is it hurling first , soccer second then football?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on June 19, 2007, 09:04:34 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2007, 08:53:23 PM

So is it hurling first , soccer second then football?

No comment ;)

I'll answer it this way if i had a choice of Laois winning Sam Laois winning Liam or Liverpool winning Premiership
I'd have it in this order

1 - Laois Liam
2 - Laois Sam
3 - Liverpool Premiership

Does that answer your question?

Oh and BTW i'd also put Laois winning either Leinster Titles before Liverpool too
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Yeah I agree with you on that one alright. Some of the Hurling lads seem to think they are on a higher level or something. Football would be my number one but would have a very big interest in watching hurling just for sports entertainment!
Grand Slam Saturday!

In the Onion Bag

Real Laoislad,

What about Laois winning the Premiership aswell.  Just as realistic.  (Just a joke)

theskull1

Many football fans, even though they've been brought up with absolutely no hurling, will embrace the game.

They may well do but I would guarantee that they only would do this as long as the hurling had no impact on their own local footballing aspirations. The reality is O'Neill that they wouldn't be so all embracing if it showed up on their doorstep as a very real rival to "their" sport of choice. This very thing is happening in Creggan right now where the underage hurlers were starting to become a little bit too successful for others liking.

QuoteUnfortunately, esp in the North here, hurling fans feel the need to display some kind of apathy towards football, berating its majority following.

I do because I realize the different level of skill required to play both games and can't quite understand why the whole country doesn't want to play hurling before football (OK I know its down to local traditions). Hurling is such a better game to play and watch (at club level mainly, the top football counties can be impressive to watch). I'd just like to add that I played both hurling and football for my club for my whole career and loved playing both but I know that hurling requires much more dedication to the skills of the game over and above the required fitness level that you need to have for both codes. A dedicated hurler could play football (at a decent club level) without alot of extra training but a dedicated footballer could not do the same in hurling. He would be so out of his depth no matter how fit he was.
Football is so much easier to pick up at juvenile level, not as dangerous and when you add in the "protective mammy" factor it is easy to see why football wins over hurling in terms of playing populations. On the protective mammy side of things, we have a wee lad in our club who broke his arm competing. He wants to play hurling for the club, but his mammy won't allow it. How did he break his arm? Playing football  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

maxpower

fair points skull, just on injuries i was at an Ulster council thingy one time and was told you where twice as likely to get injured playing football.  could anyone confirm this

i played both and almost all my injuries came from football
What happens next????

theskull1

Quote from: maxpower on June 20, 2007, 10:51:35 AM
just on injuries i was at an Ulster council thingy one time and was told you where twice as likely to get injured playing football.  could anyone confirm this

i played both and almost all my injuries came from football

I wouldn't doubt that max. My point was referring only to young players starting out to play either sport. More chance of sore fingers and shins learning to play hurling. It takes good coaching of the skills and understanding parents to allow hurling to flourish at this age. Throw kids a football and you have instant enjoyment whereas it takes 2-3 years minimum before kids master enough skills to the point where they feel they can protect themselves and possess all the required the skills which allow them to enjoy the game itself. At that stage they're hooked but thats some effort for a child.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera