Tyrone V Donegal

Started by Tyrones own, May 27, 2007, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Donegal were in the reverse position of 2004 - Donegal were underdogs then with nothing to lose - Tyrone were underdogs last week with no great expectations from the game - Donegal were really on a hiding to nothing -

T Fearon

Surely Sunday proved Donegal were over hyped. In their two games to date, they have been outplayed by both Armagh and Tyrone, and are as far away as ever from being Ulster Title challengers never mind All Ireland. I actually thought they played a hell of a lot better against Armagh in last year's Ulster Final (when they lost) against Armagh than they did this year in the Ballybofey quarter final

Fear ón Srath Bán

This is the real test now for Donegal. I had my suspicions that they had peaked already this season in the NFL, so the break now might just be what's needed to restore energy, drive and morale. Brian Mc Ivor and the backroom boys will have their hands full, but they shouldn't be written off.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

supersarsfields

Well just back from Cyprus last nite and thought I'd put in my two pence worth. Watched the match in a great wee Irish pub in Ayia Napa.
Most of this has already been said. Firstly at last Devine looked safe between the posts. Had heart in my month when he came over the top of Mcginley and Devenney to punch away. Memories of McConnell against Mayo in the league came flooding back. Other than that very assured.
Once McGinley went of I thought the fulll back line done well. It looked to me that the Donegal Forwards sort of ran out of puff.
Gormely was brilliant again and an injury to him would be every bit as bad as the loss of McGugian.
cavanagh wasn't his usual self but it was good that when he had a dip in form the rest of the team took up the task. For he's carried us far enough.
Hughes was an unusal one. Some great grafting and covered some ground but just his decision making/ shooting was poor. There's been enough said about Dooher and mulgrew. Both very good. McGinley just wasn't himself but hopefully that game will have brought him on. He's still a very valuable player for Tyrone.
McCullagh looked ok, never had any doubts over the penalty!! Mulligan showed well and was more involved than he's been in a while and hopefully that will give him the confidence boost that he'll need.
So a fine performance, one that was badly needed. Hopefully that will get the drive and support behind the team going again. Would love to get an Ulster again as it's been a while. But they'll need to keep up the improvements if we're to be involved in anything other than spectating come September.

J70

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 21, 2007, 11:47:55 AM
It looked to me that the Donegal Forwards sort of ran out of puff.

If they did it wasn't because they were too busy! I think the forwards (at least the full forwards) were the least of our worries on Sunday. The ball didn't cross the Tyrone 65 for long stretches!

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 11:17:52 AM
Surely Sunday proved Donegal were over hyped. In their two games to date, they have been outplayed by both Armagh and Tyrone, and are as far away as ever from being Ulster Title challengers never mind All Ireland. I actually thought they played a hell of a lot better against Armagh in last year's Ulster Final (when they lost) against Armagh than they did this year in the Ballybofey quarter final

Donegal are a better side than they were last year. They went into almost every game last year as strong underdog. The difference this year is the expectation, which never sits well with Donegal teams, and perhaps a draining league. But I agree that we're still a good way off being serious title challengers.

orangeman

Sweeney mde a great impact sub all year - why not last Sunday ? Don't get me wrong, I thought he was great player, but the legs aren't there for a full 70 - 80 mins championship football.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on June 21, 2007, 01:41:57 PM
Sweeney mde a great impact sub all year - why not last Sunday ? Don't get me wrong, I thought he was great player, but the legs aren't there for a full 70 - 80 mins championship football.

I said to the other half* just before the throw-in that Sweeney would run of out puff not long into the game, if he ever got up to speed at all. He is not, any longer, a player who can be thrown in at the start of a game of any intensity. He's effective as an impact sub because the opposition lads have already dropped a notch or two in intensity by the time he's introduced, so he's still (relatively) fresh by comparison.

(* Bean ón Srath Bán, who said as the teams paraded: "Who's that lad [Sweeney], he looks knackered already!"  ;))

Uladh

Quote from: J70 on June 21, 2007, 01:40:57 PM
Donegal are a better side than they were last year. They went into almost every game last year as strong underdog. The difference this year is the expectation, which never sits well with Donegal teams, and perhaps a draining league. But I agree that we're still a good way off being serious title challengers.

Not coping with the favourites tag is a cop out. Its not a claim i ever liked hearing about armagh because it translate as "don't have any bottle".

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I still feel that Donegal can make an impact in this years Championship, we still have a great manager and excellent players, but have had one poor and one disasterous games.
Hopefully in our next match we will not be favourites and the oppostion underestimate our threat.
Tbc....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 22, 2007, 10:37:45 AM
Being the eternal optimist that I am, I still feel that Donegal can make an impact in this years Championship...

Wouldn't disagree with you there GDA, this Donegal team is cut from a different cloth; where before that might have been the end of it for the year, but with the people now involved, it could be something of a renaissance.  I wouldn't fancy drawing you first game in the qualifiers, and thankfully, we won't.

Fuzzman

I would agree.
Donegal have not become a bad team overnight

Always amazes me how pundits usually comment on a team largely on results and not performance.
After the 2005 AI, everyone was going on about the structures in place in Tyrone and how they have this conveyor belt of talent.

They talked about how Kerry have been found out and how they must come up with new tactics to out do the Ulster style of play and that do they need to start going back door from now on to get more competitive matches.
One year on and they had a big FF ala Bomber Liston and all was rosey again.

I think Donegal believed all their own hype and the media had them in the final already and all the fans were talking of an AI and not beating Tyrone at all
As Mickey Harte said once, its from losing matches that you learn the most and I reckon Donegal, depending on the draw can get back on track though they'll miss McFadden.

tyroneman

Just curious but who exactly is 'wappa'???? (and why?)

J70

Quote from: tyroneman on June 24, 2007, 05:19:31 PM
Just curious but who exactly is 'wappa'???? (and why?)

Kevin McMenamin. I've no idea how he got the nickname.