JP McManus - Christmas comes early

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 24, 2018, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

This really is a ridiculous thread!

Have any of you guys ever claimed tax relief on medical expenses?

Or claimed tax relief on your pension contributions?

It's the same principle that JP McManus is using to avoid paying tax. He is abiding by the laws to pay as little tax as possible (Just like every one of us here).

Blame the laws, blame the system or blame the government if you don't like the rules. But I cannot see how you can blame an individual for organising his affairs in such a way to pay as little tax as possible. As I said we all try to organise our affairs to minimise our tax exposure.

If he has broken laws to avoid paying tax then that's a different matter (I've never read anything to suggest that he has!)

dublin7

Quote from: westbound on September 25, 2018, 03:13:52 PM

It's the same principle that JP McManus is using to avoid paying tax. He is abiding by the laws to pay as little tax as possible (Just like every one of us here).

Blame the laws, blame the system or blame the government if you don't like the rules. But I cannot see how you can blame an individual for organising his affairs in such a way to pay as little tax as possible. As I said we all try to organise our affairs to minimise our tax exposure.

If he has broken laws to avoid paying tax then that's a different matter (I've never read anything to suggest that he has!)

I'm just disappointed Dublin got the exact same as everyone else.  Dublin should have got at least twice the amount Leitrim got for example as the €100,000 wouldn't go anywhere near as far. How is that fair?

RedHand88

The begrudgers here giving off about JPs tax bill would of course never run their cars on red diesel or accept cash in hand for a job on the sly.

Tubberman

Quote from: dublin7 on September 25, 2018, 03:35:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on September 25, 2018, 03:13:52 PM

I'm just disappointed Dublin got the exact same as everyone else.  Dublin should have got at least twice the amount Leitrim got for example as the €100,000 wouldn't go anywhere near as far. How is that fair?

Alright Mossy, you told that one before.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Shamrock Shore

Nobody seems to bothered that the money may be coming from gambling wins.

With so many unfortunates addicted out there it's sad to see the thread veer off into a tax avoidance matter (that I am guilty of as well in my pension contributions, my bike and, in the apst, investing in films) as opposed to commentary on the scourge of gambling.

Ah well!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 25, 2018, 03:53:55 PM

With so many unfortunates addicted out there it's sad to see the thread veer off into a tax avoidance matter (that I am guilty of as well in my pension contributions, my bike and, in the apst, investing in films) as opposed to commentary on the scourge of gambling.

Ah well!

What no one has mentioned is that it's widely accepted JP McAnus made millions speculating against our currency back in the 80's which forced a devaluation crisis and resulted in misery for the vast majority of the population of the country at the time. I won't forget that, even if others seem to think he's some sort of latter day Robin Hood.

Very interesting the different attitudes to for example Bono, who pays tax in this country and is resident here and never did anything detrimental to the national economy versus this guy. Hypocrisy much?

trailer

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2018, 04:17:59 PM

Ah well!

What no one has mentioned is that it's widely accepted JP McAnus made millions speculating against our currency back in the 80's which forced a devaluation crisis and resulted in misery for the vast majority of the population of the country at the time. I won't forget that, even if others seem to think he's some sort of latter day Robin Hood.

Very interesting the different attitudes to for example Bono, who pays tax in this country and is resident here and never did anything detrimental to the national economy versus this guy. Hypocrisy much?

Did Bono and U2 not move their company to the Netherlands?

Shamrock Shore

U2 have many companies - but the company that holds the publishing income is based in the Netherlands.

As an Irish resident Bono pays Irish tax/prsi and usc on his worldwide income. If he draws no income from NL then he is not taxed on this. The income generated in NL may be used to pay for famine relief in Sudan - I dont know.

But he pays his tax here - same as the rest of us living in Rep of Ireland.

westbound

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 25, 2018, 04:40:33 PM
U2 have many companies - but the company that holds the publishing income is based in the Netherlands.

As an Irish resident Bono pays Irish tax/prsi and usc on his worldwide income. If he draws no income from NL then he is not taxed on this. The income generated in NL may be used to pay for famine relief in Sudan - I dont know.

But he pays his tax here - same as the rest of us living in Rep of Ireland.

That's the key point - JP is not 'living here' according to the tax rules.

As I said before, maybe the tax rules should be changed, but that's a different argument.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 25, 2018, 03:37:11 PM
The begrudgers here giving off about JPs tax bill would of course never run their cars on red diesel or accept cash in hand for a job on the sly.
Most people don't

Therealdonald

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2018, 04:17:59 PM

Ah well!

He also made millions from playing Backgammon as well. Too many do-gooders on this board. I call you guys the missionary missionaries.

bennydorano

Good man JP.

Wonder will we see an opinion piece on the evil JP from Ewan McKenna?  ???

Rossfan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 25, 2018, 06:13:29 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 25, 2018, 03:37:11 PM
Most people don't
That's only 6 Cos  behaviour.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

thewobbler

I expect you could count on one hand the number of mega-wealthy individuals whose careers didn't involve some combination of tax evasion, bribery, corruption, cruelty to employees, and peddling of products or services that have brought unhappiness to some people.

It goes with the territory.

But I've always found it odd and disappointing that Ireland's mega rich have seemingly no spirit of philanthropy, whereas their forefathers and cousins who left for America seem determined to leave this world with their name etched on bridges, libraries, scholarships and stadia.

Hopefully JP sets a trend in motion here. And even if he doesn't, 3.2m is not only a welcome boost to the clubs, but a wonderful recognition that we are all one association.