Sligo v Armagh 23/06/2018

Started by Stan Laurel, June 18, 2018, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

I would have thought surviving a division that Derry couldn't would have been considered an achievement for a county like Sligo.

Galway are way ahead of alot of counties including Sligo - Galway finished top of Div 1 and gave Dublin a fair rattle in the final - they are the first team in the Super 8 - Sligo where never going to beat Galway so does it really matter whether its by 4 points or 20 points - Sligo would need to have had their eye on progressing through the qualifiers against teams at their level.

I think there is a deeper problem than the manager in Sligo if the fans are wishing their team are defeated!

Mano

Quote from: WT4E on June 20, 2018, 10:34:14 AM
I would have thought surviving a division that Derry couldn't would have been considered an achievement for a county like Sligo.

Galway are way ahead of alot of counties including Sligo - Galway finished top of Div 1 and gave Dublin a fair rattle in the final - they are the first team in the Super 8 - Sligo where never going to beat Galway so does it really matter whether its by 4 points or 20 points - Sligo would need to have had their eye on progressing through the qualifiers against teams at their level.

I think there is a deeper problem than the manager in Sligo if the fans are wishing their team are defeated!

I agree there are many issues with Sligo football and the Sligo senior management in one of them. Offaly, Wexford, Westmeath were also in the division. Derry were missing their Slaughneil players for the duration of the league and are not the force they were a few years ago.

Any manager who will not answer phone calls from the under 20 management in the weeks leading up to the under 20 campaign does not care about Sligo football. We had a good under 20 team this year but 3 of them couldn't play as they played the London game. The u20 goalkeeper was sub goalkeeper for seniors and wasn't released.

It was the manner of the defeat that disappointed Sligo supporters. The lack of passion, fitness from the players, naivety of the management, lack of a game plan.

DuffleKing

Corey was a very odd appointment

Cunny Funt

Derry are in freefall little or no comfort to take out of that. Losing by 20 points means you were poorly organized and prepared for that game and receiving a beating like that is very tough to recover from. Losing by just 4 points to top 5 team means Sligo are fairly decent and more than ready to take out Armagh at home.

I don't think Sligo supporters ever wanted Corey as he's not seen as much of improvement on the last manager.

macdanger2

Quote from: Mano on June 20, 2018, 11:03:19 AM

I agree there are many issues with Sligo football and the Sligo senior management in one of them. Offaly, Wexford, Westmeath were also in the division. Derry were missing their Slaughneil players for the duration of the league and are not the force they were a few years ago.

Any manager who will not answer phone calls from the under 20 management in the weeks leading up to the under 20 campaign does not care about Sligo football. We had a good under 20 team this year but 3 of them couldn't play as they played the London game. The u20 goalkeeper was sub goalkeeper for seniors and wasn't released.

It was the manner of the defeat that disappointed Sligo supporters. The lack of passion, fitness from the players, naivety of the management, lack of a game plan.

Sounds like a fella who's more interested in minding his own house rather than progressing Sligo football. Hard to blame him on the one hand but not what a county needs

SLIGONIAN

Corey has been a disaster, to those uninformed looking in from the outside of course it looks different,

Context - Corey was turned down by Derry and Donegal which is irrelevant but he was chosen by Sligo ahead of Fergal O Donnell, the reason for the appointment was he is cheap, he would sort out our defensive issues the CB Chairman said, he got the job based on the backroom team of Conleith Gillgan, Tony Scullion and Aidan Rooney. When Corey got the gig it was clearly evident Rooney was carrying him, he would be last to get to training and first to leave, did this go down well with the players do yee think.

Gilligan turned up for 2 training sessions over the first few months and eventually left, Scullion rarely turned up to training sessions but is still there and is his man in the stand. Rooney who took all the early training session was then shafted by Corey and left. I'm not going to go into that but Corey handled it terribly. The CB didn't get rid of Corey then because they couldn't be shown to have made a mistake especially after the fck up with Carew's reappointment. So they stuck with Corey and got new backroom team in, McGowan and ryder.

This is Coreys first ever involvement in a intercounty set up so he has no clue what it takes, he shackled the team through out the league and only the players went man to man against Derry did we show what we could do especially second half. He put Hughes wing forward which is crazy stuff against Galway.

Corey works 2.5 hrs away from Scarden and probably took on more than he realised but our CB did zero due diligence as usual on his backroom commitment, on his own commitment. etc.,

All of what Mano said is true below is true

4-21 to 1-12
Surviving division 3 by skin of teeth
Refusing to allow the under 20's in the squad play with their age group.
Refusing to communicate with under 20 management.
Revolving door of backroom team.

Time to get a local back in charge who cares about the future direction of Sligo football and not the short term.

I doubt the players will want him back, I would be shocked and disappointed. Im not sure about local appointment, is Ohara/McGowan ready mano?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

I was very happy FOD wasn't yer manager, Sligoian. Working with a young inexperienced panel is his bread and butter and would have probably made Sligo likely to upset one of the top three in the province in the next few years.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 06:55:17 PM
I was very happy FOD wasn't yer manager, Sligoian. Working with a young inexperienced panel is his bread and butter and would have probably made Sligo likely to upset one of the top three in the province in the next few years.
I know Syferus, you can thank Joe Taafe when you see him.

I actually believe there is alot of player talent in the current squad, we lack the physicality but that will come. Our u20s and our strategy around that definitely cost us a close run Connacht final imo.

Blowitupref

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 20, 2018, 06:59:34 PM

I actually believe there is alot of player talent in the current squad, we lack the physicality but that will come. Our u20s and our strategy around that definitely cost us a close run Connacht final imo.

I doubt it would be close run final due to the schedule in place. If Sligo had reached the Connacht U20 final it would have been 3 games in 3 weeks v Mayo who didn't even have one competitive game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 20, 2018, 07:43:09 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 20, 2018, 06:59:34 PM

I doubt it would be close run final due to the schedule in place. If Sligo had reached the Connacht U20 final it would have been 3 games in 3 weeks v Mayo who didn't even have one competitive game.
Fair point, we were fixed the day before the seniors too but for any Sligo GAA person its hard not to think what if Carrabine, O Connor and Gaughan were in starting 15 what we would of achieved, they were all outstanding for the seniors this year and o connor has been for a few yrs.

And Saturday our Minors, Seniors and Hurlers having to play on the same day at 3 different venues, at least there at different times.  ;D I wonder did our county board make any issue of this, a whisper of discontent even.

Apologies for going off track.

illdecide

Aye sure you boys work away there and we'll read your shite :P. ;)

Anyway what way r u men fixed for Sat nite? Injuries/suspensions etc
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

yellowcard

I can rarely remember such a low key build up to an Armagh match in recent times, even the Westmeath match I knew a few people heading. Not confident at all about this Armagh team but it sounds like it could be the 'least worst' team who could progress here if the Sligo posters are to be believed. Either way I don't see the winners of this match lasting much longer in the championship. 

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2018, 03:11:28 PM
I can rarely remember such a low key build up to an Armagh match in recent times, even the Westmeath match I knew a few people heading. Not confident at all about this Armagh team but it sounds like it could be the 'least worst' team who could progress here if the Sligo posters are to be believed. Either way I don't see the winners of this match lasting much longer in the championship.

Never know who they might draw in the next round to allow them to slip on through.

bennydorano

Reaching the Super 8s would be a success and a disaster.

tonto1888