Would a GAA County Team Reciprocate Liverpool FC's Dunboyne Jersey Gesture?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, April 28, 2018, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would a GAA County Team Reciprocate Liverpool FC's gesture of hanging a Dunboyne jersey in their dressing room in reversed circumstances?

Of course
7 (9.6%)
Never
11 (15.1%)
How is this even a question?
33 (45.2%)
Cahill Must Go
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

IolarCoisCuain

I would have thought the answer obvious myself, but a tweet from Des Cahill today made me wonder, not for first time lately, if I'm cracked or if the world as I knew it has turned on its head.

As you know, Dunboyne GAA stalwart Seán Cox was horrifically assaulted before Liverpool FC played FC Roma in the UEFA Champions League in Liverpool during the week. Liverpool and those associated with the club have been outstanding in their reactions to the crime, and we all pray Seán Cox recovers.

Des Cahill commended Liverpool for their gesture in hanging a Dunboyne jersey in their dressing room today, but went on to qualify his remarks by describing the gesture as:
a gesture that wouldn't be carried out by county #GAA teams in Ireland.

Here's the link to the tweet itself, which I can't get to embed properly in this post: https://twitter.com/sportsdes/status/990189837964759040
This would be outrageous from some of the anti-GAA people in RTÉ, but hardly surprising. But from the presenter of the Sunday Game? Does Des Cahill needs to explain himself and then some, or am I missing something?

Syferus

Des is a special child but for him as a GAA presenter to say that is utterly incredible.

Also the idea that someone could be stabbed into a coma by a rival supporter while attending an IC match is so preposterous exactly because the GAA as an organisation fosters a far better supporter culture than Liverpool or any professional soccer club or league does.

IolarCoisCuain

Thanks Syferus but let's not go down the road of comparing crowds and cultures. People at GAA matches are from one small island. Soccer crowds are from all corners of the globe. They can't be compared.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 28, 2018, 05:21:16 PM
Thanks Syferus but let's not go down the road of comparing crowds and cultures. People at GAA matches are from one small island. Soccer crowds are from all corners of the globe. They can't be compared.

Fan violence has been commonplace between teams from the same city, let alone the same region in soccer. Those are perfectly comparable.

imtommygunn

To be honest des is a bit of a plonker. Since putting eamon o'hara in a very uncomfortable position to grab headlines i have noticed he is a bit attention seeking.

Odd statement as in no way comparable.

seafoid

When is the last time someone was beaten unconscious by an opposing fan at a GAA match?
If it did happen it would be shocking. If the injured party was a Liverpool fan I am sure something would be done.

sid waddell

Assaults have and do happen around GAA matches.

I've seen opposing supporters fighting plenty of times at matches themselves.

Christy Burke's son was stabbed and ended up in a critical condition after the Leinster final replay in 2000 but survived.

A Donegal supporter was beaten and died the night of the 1992 All-Ireland final. Seamus Braid was his name.

Not to mention some of the thuggery that has happened on the pitch. Tell Mark McGovern's family that thuggery doesn't happen on the pitch.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on April 28, 2018, 06:07:44 PM

Christy Burke's son was stabbed and ended up in a critical condition after the Leinster final replay in 2000 but survived.

A Donegal supporter was beaten and died the night of the 1992 All-Ireland final. Seamus Braid was his name.

Not to mention some of the thuggery that has happened on the pitch. Tell Mark McGovern's family that thuggery doesn't happen on the pitch.
I wasn't aware of those incidents , Sid.
The first time I went to a match in Scotland  police on horses separated the fan's.  It was Hibs v Celtic  . I thought they would have been on the same side.

Insane Bolt

GAA fans still integrate at games.....don't have to be kept apart. Football fans.....a very different breed altogether.

longballin

terrible incidents but very few and far between and those years show

Ball Hopper

Quote from: longballin on April 28, 2018, 10:50:08 PM

Did Mark McGovern make a full recovery?

longballin

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 28, 2018, 11:00:53 PM

I believe he did but does not take away at all from what happened.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: longballin on April 28, 2018, 11:09:26 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 28, 2018, 11:00:53 PM

I believe he did but does not take away at all from what happened.

Absolutely...glad he recovered.

supersub

Anyone who saw the scenes between Crossmaglen and Cullyhanna recently would know that both supporter and player violence is very much going on in our game.