Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, Caislean an Bharraigh, 1900, 03-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 01, 2018, 03:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Brendan O'Sullivan came on as a sub tonight, serious physique on him, wouldn't be out of place in SDF tonight -
those "supplements" are some job

blast05

A few observations

Douglas, B Moran, Gibbons, Regan .... we needed so much more from them. For Douglas, he just doesn't have the pace. The surprising thing about that is that his sprinting technique is poor - low knees, minimal arm action (think of the arm action of an olympic sprinter .... 'your arms lead, your legs follow'). I would have expected one of the back room team to have some level of knowledge on the technique and thus help Douglas with what he needs to improve on (plus the specific strength and conditioning that he needs to improve his pace obviously.... but technique first). And he is certainly not on his own in terms of poor sprinting technique

The tackle on Regan was the dirtiest thing i've seen on a football pitch in quite a while. I would like to see a replay to confirm my initial reaction but a yellow only was shocking

The fitness and energy levels of the Kerry team for beginning of February were amazing. Dublinesque, as was the sheer bulk of some of them. Their #17, Brendan O'Sullivan, looked like a lad that must have been using inhalers since about 2. The jersey - which was cat - was like an U-12 jersey on him!!

And finally  .... is there any other sport in the planet where the condition of the pitch makes such an enormous difference to the outcome of the match. In no other sport do the elite players have to deal with a superb surface (Croke Park) and a bog. Its the same for both sides but football in McHale Park in February versus August in Croke Park, well, they are like 2 different sports.

joemamas

Quote from: blast05 on February 04, 2018, 12:46:51 AM
A few observations

Douglas, B Moran, Gibbons, Regan .... we needed so much more from them. For Douglas, he just doesn't have the pace. The surprising thing about that is that his sprinting technique is poor - low knees, minimal arm action (think of the arm action of an olympic sprinter .... 'your arms lead, your legs follow'). I would have expected one of the back room team to have some level of knowledge on the technique and thus help Douglas with what he needs to improve on (plus the specific strength and conditioning that he needs to improve his pace obviously.... but technique first). And he is certainly not on his own in terms of poor sprinting technique

The tackle on Regan was the dirtiest thing i've seen on a football pitch in quite a while. I would like to see a replay to confirm my initial reaction but a yellow only was shocking

The fitness and energy levels of the Kerry team for beginning of February were amazing. Dublinesque, as was the sheer bulk of some of them. Their #17, Brendan O'Sullivan, looked like a lad that must have been using inhalers since about 2. The jersey - which was cat - was like an U-12 jersey on him!!

And finally  .... is there any other sport in the planet where the condition of the pitch makes such an enormous difference to the outcome of the match. In no other sport do the elite players have to deal with a superb surface (Croke Park) and a bog. Its the same for both sides but football in McHale Park in February versus August in Croke Park, well, they are like 2 different sports.

Superb post
Summed up most of my thoughts
Cannot figure out Rochford's persistence with Coen , he tries but imo not good enough at this level.
Also thought Kerry were physically superior to Mayo, obviously have spent a lot of time in gym.
Not all Rochford's fault  , but our inability to score from 30 yards out is shocking and easy to defend,
It will come back to haunt us in July/ August

galwayman

Mayo never shoot the lights out in the league to be fair.
They get better as the year goes on.
I think ye will have probably found a new player that can make an impact in defence (O Donoghue).
He could be crucial if ye suffer an injury to a first choice defender.
Have always rated Nally highly but think Coen is not good enough for senior county.

From the Bunker

Quote from: joemamas on February 04, 2018, 04:33:32 AM
Quote from: blast05 on February 04, 2018, 12:46:51 AM
A few observations

Superb post
Summed up most of my thoughts
Cannot figure out Rochford's persistence with Coen , he tries but imo not good enough at this level.
Also thought Kerry were physically superior to Mayo, obviously have spent a lot of time in gym.
Not all Rochford's fault  , but our inability to score from 30 yards out is shocking and easy to defend,
It will come back to haunt us in July/ August

Our first game last year in Castlebar was against Monaghan. Monaghan hit hard that night looked physically tuned, while Mayo looked like kids. You could have cut and pasted the comments from that game and posted them again after last nights game. Castlebar is not a fortress for us and has not been for a while - League or Championship! We are getting ready for summer. The League is only a means to an end. 

Anyway, going into the last quarter I was surprised Douglas was not left on. He is a decent to very good freetaker and especially from distance.

Referee was out of his dept. And took little or no action until Cillian came on and put pressure on his decisions. The thing to remember with Referees is that if they are weak enough to not make big decisions, they are weak enough to be influenced into making other decisions!

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

macdanger2

Dougie and to a lesser extent Regan really struggled to win their own ball last night yet we still persisted with long high balls into them. Only Doc was able to win ball inside. The two lads need to work harder to get away from their men and into space or we need to run it in and have those two coming on the loop

Maroon Manc

MusclesMagoo

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2018, 09:56:32 AM
Did Regan have his jaw broken?

His cheekbone is broken - having an operation this morning I understand.
To echo what was said above, it was as dirty a blow as I've seen in a long time.

ballinaman

Quote from: MusclesMagoo on February 05, 2018, 11:41:33 AM

To echo what was said above, it was as dirty a blow as I've seen in a long time.
Eye socket broken in 2 places

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ballinaman on February 05, 2018, 12:17:26 PM

Jesus Christ. The poor fella has awful luck. That Kerry fella who assaulted him will get his comeuppance you'd hope.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Regan certainly is unlucky with injuries. What age is Douglas? He doesn't look up at home at this level from what I've seen of him.

I know Reape has been fairly talked up but don't think he got any game time against Monaghan either, someone said he's not making the DCU side either. Is he injured or just not been picked?

joemamas

Quote from: ballinaman on February 05, 2018, 12:17:26 PM

That is shocking, I wish him a speedy recovery.
Will the Kerry player who applied the disgusting "tackle" be called out on it.
He should be suspended. Full stop.

Syferus

Kerry have always been a seriously dirty outfit. It's gotten worse under Fitz as they're painfully aware of their limitations as footballers compared to the top two and even previous Kerry teams. A bit of small man syndrome.

westbound

is there footage of the incident?

Surely if there is footage, the CCCC will look at it?