Michael Lyster's imminent retirement

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2018, 07:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

RTE's whole GAA coverage needs a complete shake up. They should use Lyster's retirement to revamp the whole approach. When you see what TV3 did and what Sky are doing and the clued in analysts they have on board it shows how decrepit and past its sell by date RTE's coverage is. I rarely if ever watch the half time bullshit on RTE but I would on other channels. I usually record TSG and fast forward through the talk. Des Cahill alone just really sickens me. The end of year show where they all shout over each other like kids summed it up.

Farrandeelin

Des Cahill is just there for the 'banter' in my opinion. Never seriously analyses much to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 29, 2018, 09:35:03 AM
RTE's whole GAA coverage needs a complete shake up. They should use Lyster's retirement to revamp the whole approach. When you see what TV3 did and what Sky are doing and the clued in analysts they have on board it shows how decrepit and past its sell by date RTE's coverage is. I rarely if ever watch the half time bullshit on RTE but I would on other channels. I usually record TSG and fast forward through the talk. Des Cahill alone just really sickens me. The end of year show where they all shout over each other like kids summed it up.

I delight in muting TSG at half time. Brolly, Spillane  and co have nothing of interest to say that I want to hear.

But yes, rte coverage is stale and shite. I deliberately avoided all results yesterday in order to see the highlights, and ended up having to look them up online as they couldn't be arsed even telling us NFL 2,3,4 scores. Bloody pathetic.

tippabu

Darragh Maloney for me would be best to step in, find him a really good commentator and good presenter

magpie seanie

I think O'Cinnéide is a great shout. Excellent presenter as seen in his TG4 days and obviously his GAA credentials are beyond doubt. I'd put Joanne Cantwell and Evanne Ni Chuilinn on the evening show.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: BennyCake on January 29, 2018, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 29, 2018, 09:35:03 AM

I delight in muting TSG at half time. Brolly, Spillane  and co have nothing of interest to say that I want to hear.

But yes, rte coverage is stale and shite. I deliberately avoided all results yesterday in order to see the highlights, and ended up having to look them up online as they couldn't be arsed even telling us NFL 2,3,4 scores. Bloody pathetic.

That was a f**king disgrace, one of them occasions where you find yourself shouting at the telly.

Will be sad to see Lyster go, has been a stable of my Sunday afternoons for nearly 40 years. Cantwell or O'Cinnéide for me. If it's O'Cinnéide balance the Kerry equation by retiring Spillane, simple.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

haranguerer

Will be sad to see Michael go. He is inseparable from my earliest memories of AI finals - when Ulster dominated in the early 90's.

rosnarun

to be honest I think the whole thing has gone so stale its become irrelevant I only ever turn up the volume for the match itself and the evening program is unwatchable with about 75% of nonentities sprouting shite to 25 % action usually from the game/games that were shown live earlier.
The GAA should hand over the whole lot to TG4 where they'd treat it with respect.

and I didn't even mention that bollix once
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Orchard park

all for Des cahill getting it,

then those of us who attend live matches wont have to suffer him on the highlights show.

if they want o go for knowledge dara O Cinneide is streets ahead of the others..........

for a left field suggestion Marie Crowe, miles ahead of Cantwell, Ni Chuleann, Hurley, if going for gender balance

Hardy

We are seeing here the reason that we have to put up with shite from the RTE monopoly - the punters are happy to lap it up. For decades they have been feeding us anodyne crap and so-called analysis that is utterly devoid of insight and displays no interest in doing anything other than showing up, delivering the formulaic bullshit and collecting the cheque.

And what happens when the ringmaster of this depressing shambles finally f$cks off? We have a chorus of nostalgia. Ah he'll be missed. Grand fella. Great memories. No wonder they keep shoveling the bullshit at us. If they read this forum how could they conclude otherwise than that we love it?

stephenite

I've only listened to him on Podcasts, and radio doesn't necessarily translate to TV, but your man Joe Molloy from Off the Ball is very good.

haranguerer

Quote from: Hardy on January 29, 2018, 11:57:03 AM
We are seeing here the reason that we have to put up with shite from the RTE monopoly - the punters are happy to lap it up. For decades they have been feeding us anodyne crap and so-called analysis that is utterly devoid of insight and displays no interest in doing anything other than showing up, delivering the formulaic bullshit and collecting the cheque.

And what happens when the ringmaster of this depressing shambles finally f$cks off? We have a chorus of nostalgia. Ah he'll be missed. Grand fella. Great memories. No wonder they keep shoveling the bullshit at us. If they read this forum how could they conclude otherwise than that we love it?

Sorry, I'll try to toe your line in future

OgraAnDun

Quote from: rosnarun on January 29, 2018, 10:44:42 AM
to be honest I think the whole thing has gone so stale its become irrelevant I only ever turn up the volume for the match itself and the evening program is unwatchable with about 75% of nonentities sprouting shite to 25 % action usually from the game/games that were shown live earlier.
The GAA should hand over the whole lot to TG4 where they'd treat it with respect.

and I didn't even mention that bollix once

Which one?!

Jinxy

Quote from: stephenite on January 29, 2018, 12:09:18 PM
I've only listened to him on Podcasts, and radio doesn't necessarily translate to TV, but your man Joe Molloy from Off the Ball is very good.

He's excellent but he's probably more of a rubby man.
I'd rather have Darragh Moloney on commentary than in the studio.
Sorting out the appalling standard of commentary is very much so the elephant in the room for me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Looking at how gender has influenced practically all of RTE's recent hirings I wouldn't be surprised if a female presenter got the gig. Joanne Cantwell or Evanne Ní Chuilinn being the obvious candidates.