The GAA - has it lost , did it ever have, a ‘radical/Republican’ connection?

Started by theticklemister, January 28, 2018, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: Syferus on January 28, 2018, 01:20:54 PM
They still play the national anthem before matches. Get rid. Sport is supposed to be inclusive and not divisive.

How surprising...a blueshirt who regards the playing of our national anthem as a sign of 'radical republicanism' and divisive and believes it 'must be stopped'.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2018, 07:54:29 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2018, 07:49:25 PM
The anthem isn't divisive, but nobody who has ever listened to an ancient crackly recording played over biscuit tin speakers in the middle of nowhere could argue that we need to hear it ALL THE TIME.
Play it before finals, and only finals.
Agreed Jinxy.
The GAA should look after its sports, let its members leave their politics at the gate and leave politics to the politicians.
So playing the Irish National Anthem is now 'political'? Depressing how many Mexicans are embarrassed/ashamed of the national anthem and regard it as 'political' or 'divisive'.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on January 28, 2018, 09:37:37 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on January 28, 2018, 08:53:46 PM
Agreed Jinxy.
The GAA should look after its sports, let its members leave their politics at the gate and leave politics to the politicians.

Speaking of which, Alan Dillon is running for the blueshirts.
Would he be related to.John Dillon the 1950s minister?

Highly doubt it.....from 2 different ends of the county

whitey

A few years ago over on Willie Joes blog, someone claiming to be a big Mayo supporter and a Muslim floated the idea of changing the crest (again) because "Criost Linn" was not an inclusive message.

Rossfan

Maybe it's time ye changed to Allah linn as Críost isn't doing a whole pile for ye.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: Snapchap on January 29, 2018, 01:19:42 PM
The anthem isn't divisive, but nobody who has ever listened to an ancient crackly recording played over biscuit tin speakers in the middle of nowhere could argue that we need to hear it ALL THE TIME.
Agreed Jinxy.
So playing the Irish National Anthem is now 'political'? Depressing how many Mexicans are embarrassed/ashamed of the national anthem and regard it as 'political' or 'divisive'.
That's your incorrect interpretation of what I said.
But don't let the truth get in the way of your prejudices.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on January 29, 2018, 01:55:30 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 29, 2018, 01:19:42 PM
Agreed Jinxy.
That's your incorrect interpretation of what I said.
But don't let the truth get in the way of your prejudices.
Jinxy was speaking specifically about the use of the national anthem, saying that it should not only be used at finals. You replied that he was "correct" because politics should be kept out of sport. If that isn't you defining the national anthem as political, then I'm at a loss as to what your 'political' point was in relation to, when you agreed with Jinxy.

Rossfan

I didn't put in any "because".
I agreed with Jinxy about scratchy versions and only playing the anthem before Finals.
Started a new para then making a different point.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on January 29, 2018, 02:18:44 PM
I didn't put in any "because".
I agreed with Jinxy about scratchy versions and only playing the anthem before Finals.
Started a new para then making a different point.

Rossfan

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on January 29, 2018, 03:02:29 PM
Northern education standards pretty low it seems :-\
My sincere apologies. I genuinely thought you were referring to the national anthem when you directly replied to a post about the national anthem. Very silly of me.

whitey

Quote from: Rossfan on January 29, 2018, 01:47:24 PM
Maybe it's time ye changed to Allah linn as Críost isn't doing a whole pile for ye.

And I think he was a Ballagh Rhubarb to make it even worse

tonto1888

Therealdonald

Does the thread mean a radical republican connection? Or a radical or republican connection? I think it differs from club to club. I also think the vast difference between the occupied 6 and the south with regards to this connection would be night and day.

theticklemister

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 29, 2018, 04:29:00 PM
Does the thread mean a radical republican connection? Or a radical or republican connection? I think it differs from club to club. I also think the vast difference between the occupied 6 and the south with regards to this connection would be night and day.

I was interested in what the posters thought.

Some examples in Derry would be

The Sean Larkin Cup (One of the four members of Republicans killed by Pro-treaty forces at Drumboe, he hailed from near Ballinderry)

and

The Sheridan, Bateson , Lee Cup; which is the name of the Intermediate Championship (Named after 3 IRA men whose bomb prematurely blew in Magherafelt in 1971)

and

Hugh /McElwee Cup (A minor South Derry competition).

Of course a lot of clubs were named after former Republicans.

In Derry we have Sean Dolans (Republican and Cultural radical from Derry City who died from ill health after being interned on the Al Rawadh and Crumlin Road aged 28), Watty Grahams Glen (local Maghera man who fought in the 1798 rebellion) and Kevin Lynch. Other clubs are Robert Emmetts, Eoghan Rua, Wolfe Tones to name but a few.

A lot of the above people were active in the GAA in their areas.

As realdonald says, it differs from club to club.

I know from going to clubs in East Tyrone and South Derry; that these areas would hold high in esteem of men/women who fought for independence.