Free taking competitions

Started by Mayo4Sam14, January 23, 2018, 09:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 10:27:00 PM
Quote from: tippabu on January 24, 2018, 06:39:59 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2018, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2018, 03:30:37 PM
Whatever about hurling, a 45s competition in football is monumentally stupid. If you have to do it make it penalties. 45 scoring is too much of a unique skill to be used as a tie-breaking competition, particularly when wind will influence it so heavily.

I think 45s was just done so they WOULDN'T be accused of copying soccer. I think Penalties makes more sense in any case.

This 100% for me on both counts. Watching the meath longford and wexford kilkenny there was no excitement with the 45s and 65s, penalties would create a buzz at least

Heard that gobsh*té Bernard Flynn on about it on the radio, you'd swear it had been the most exciting event he'd ever seen

Did Mickey Burke sign many autographs aftwards, though?

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2018, 11:14:39 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 10:27:00 PM
Quote from: tippabu on January 24, 2018, 06:39:59 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2018, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2018, 03:30:37 PM
Whatever about hurling, a 45s competition in football is monumentally stupid. If you have to do it make it penalties. 45 scoring is too much of a unique skill to be used as a tie-breaking competition, particularly when wind will influence it so heavily.

I think 45s was just done so they WOULDN'T be accused of copying soccer. I think Penalties makes more sense in any case.

This 100% for me on both counts. Watching the meath longford and wexford kilkenny there was no excitement with the 45s and 65s, penalties would create a buzz at least

Heard that gobsh*té Bernard Flynn on about it on the radio, you'd swear it had been the most exciting event he'd ever seen

Did Mickey Burke sign many autographs aftwards, though?

;D ;D

Hardy

Apart from the debate about whether a shoot-out should be used to decide a match, I can't be having the penalties suggestion. Point scoring is the essential skill of both games.

westbound

Quote from: Hardy on January 25, 2018, 04:04:14 PM
Apart from the debate about whether a shoot-out should be used to decide a match, I can't be having the penalties suggestion. Point scoring is the essential skill of both games.

I agree with this. If a shoot-out is required, it definitely should be a point scoring competition of some sort.

I don't have a problem with 45's for senior IC players. Should be 5 forwards/players capable of kicking the ball over the bar from 45metres.

However, for under20's or even senior club players, maybe 45metres is too far out?

Syferus

Quote from: westbound on January 25, 2018, 04:13:36 PM

I agree with this. If a shoot-out is required, it definitely should be a point scoring competition of some sort.

I don't have a problem with 45's for senior IC players. Should be 5 forwards/players capable of kicking the ball over the bar from 45metres.

However, for under20's or even senior club players, maybe 45metres is too far out?

How many senior county teams have zero reliable 45 free-takers? Nevermind club or underage. Really, really stupid choice for a tie-breaker. A tie-breaker needs to not be something influenced heavily by the elements too.

Mayo4Sam14

Not to mention this is after a full game, extra time and extra time in awful conditions
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Cunny Funt

Loads of senior teams nowadays have poor long range free takers and they bring up their keepers to take some of them thinking they will become a Cluxton..

Probably no harm having this at underage as something needs to be done about the dying art of long range place kicking.

blast05

Quote from: Hound on January 24, 2018, 10:30:51 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 10:04:05 AM
I think it would be better to have it as a shoot put between the two free takers rather than having teb different players taking the kicks
Kerry would never let Sheehan retire if that was the rule. Keep him on the bench just in case!

I prefer 5 v 5.

Not against Mayo though!
He has had 3 game winning opportunities (last-kick-of-the-game frees) v Mayo in his career from ~50 metres each time (2 All-Ireland semis, 1 league) .... missed the lot meaning all games ended in draws

Mayo4Sam14

Imagine Mayo trying to hold their nerve in one of these in an All Ireland final against Dublin!
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

westbound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 26, 2018, 04:11:53 PM

Loads of senior teams nowadays have poor long range free takers and they bring up their keepers to take some of them thinking they will become a Cluxton..

Probably no harm having this at underage as something needs to be done about the dying art of long range place kicking.

Yes, but county teams SHOULD have 5 players on the entire panel that can kick a ball over the bar (either from the ground or from the hand) from 45metres.