Free taking competitions

Started by Mayo4Sam14, January 23, 2018, 09:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Has anyone had to play in one of these yet? Lost a school senior final 1-0 after a draw. Terrible, terrible conditions with the weather. Seems a bit of a crude way to lose.
Thoughts from anyone else who's played in one?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Hound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on January 23, 2018, 09:48:37 PM
Has anyone had to play in one of these yet? Lost a school senior final 1-0 after a draw. Terrible, terrible conditions with the weather. Seems a bit of a crude way to lose.
Thoughts from anyone else who's played in one?
I agree with the concept of using it to avoid fixture congestion. Of course it feels awful to lose, but I don't agree that it's worse than losing to a last second score.

I also agree that point scoring is far better than penalties for GAA. Outside the 45 is very hard though! Maybe for anything below senior I'd go for shooting outside the D. Although the benefit the former has is that the key to winning will be a lad getting a brilliant score, whereas the latter would be down to a lad missing a simple score, so maybe the 45m line is the best method.   

macdanger2

I think it would be better to have it as a shoot put between the two free takers rather than having teb different players taking the kicks

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 10:04:05 AM
I think it would be better to have it as a shoot put between the two free takers rather than having teb different players taking the kicks
Kerry would never let Sheehan retire if that was the rule. Keep him on the bench just in case!

I prefer 5 v 5.

Syferus

Whatever about hurling, a 45s competition in football is monumentally stupid. If you have to do it make it penalties. 45 scoring is too much of a unique skill to be used as a tie-breaking competition, particularly when wind will influence it so heavily.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2018, 03:30:37 PM
Whatever about hurling, a 45s competition in football is monumentally stupid. If you have to do it make it penalties. 45 scoring is too much of a unique skill to be used as a tie-breaking competition, particularly when wind will influence it so heavily.

I think 45s was just done so they WOULDN'T be accused of copying soccer. I think Penalties makes more sense in any case.

Gabriel_Hurl

We had a championship semi-final over here decided by 45's last summer

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2018, 03:33:36 PM

I think 45s was just done so they WOULDN'T be accused of copying soccer. I think Penalties makes more sense in any case.

If it's any sort of a meaningful game there's no way it should be decided in this way. Fine for McKenna/O'Byrne/Walsh/McGrath/FBD etc but never should be used for championship in my opinion.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2018, 04:40:35 PM

If it's any sort of a meaningful game there's no way it should be decided in this way. Fine for McKenna/O'Byrne/Walsh/McGrath/FBD etc but never should be used for championship in my opinion.
Would a sudden death score be a better option? Play the extra time and if that doesn't settle it the first to score wins.

Captain Obvious

I'm dreading the thought of my county team losing a championship game in this manner. GAA HQ are known for bringing in silly new rules but this is up there with the worst of them.

Syferus

Stick with replays. There, I said it.

LooseCannon

tippabu

This 100% for me on both counts. Watching the meath longford and wexford kilkenny there was no excitement with the 45s and 65s, penalties would create a buzz at least

tippabu

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 24, 2018, 05:06:06 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2018, 04:40:35 PM

Would a sudden death score be a better option? Play the extra time and if that doesn't settle it the first to score wins.

Not a fan, would hate to see a game won in extra time where the ref makes a terrible decision and gives a soft to decide it. Yes its copying soccer but penalties would be my preference.

macdanger2

Quote from: tippabu on January 24, 2018, 06:39:59 PM

This 100% for me on both counts. Watching the meath longford and wexford kilkenny there was no excitement with the 45s and 65s, penalties would create a buzz at least

Heard that gobsh*té Bernard Flynn on about it on the radio, you'd swear it had been the most exciting event he'd ever seen