Factors that can help you become a good footballer!

Started by From the Bunker, November 26, 2017, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

i dont believe that for a minute
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyCake

Coached from an early age to play with the head up.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 27, 2017, 01:51:48 PM
A good wall at the side of the house!
A good wall at the side of the house is a bit like a big back garden and a trailer load of siblings. They only help if you practice....which was ruled out in your first post.

general_lee

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 02:08:48 PM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

I do. I know fellas who had talent hanging out of them. Seen it at underage and senior level. Boys who simply didn't want to know, were lazy and preferred pints or chasing women; but when it came to it they could still play a match with poor fitness and still be able to stand out above the rest.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mrhardyannual on November 27, 2017, 02:10:34 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 27, 2017, 01:51:48 PM
A good wall at the side of the house!
A good wall at the side of the house is a bit like a big back garden and a trailer load of siblings. They only help if you practice....which was ruled out in your first post.

I understand that practice is important. I'm looking at Peripheral factors. The Wall at the side of the house is a peripheral factor.  Things that are sometimes not planned and can fall on a good players lap to help them progress.

I train underage and love to look at these factors all the time.

BennyCake

- no neighbours working night shift
- no housewive neighbour with a sharp breadknife
- no neighbours with an award winning garden and/or glasshouse
- no neighbours constantly hanging out bed sheets

AZOffaly

Parents who are interested enough to ferry you around to training and games in your childhood and teens.

TheOptimist

Birthdate is a big one. Have heard it said there is proof out there (somewhere) that those born in January tend to have more chance getting on well at sport. Makes sense in GAA given that some boys on the pitch will be 2 years younger than you.

Enthusiastic parents involved with the club I would say helps alot.

The secondary school you go to could have a big influence also.

ned

?
Do you believe everyone is born with the same ability?

Syferus

Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 03:56:46 PM

?

People are born with zero skill. They may have physical traits that help them. Size and speed are the two biggest ones, though even speed can be gained with the right training. Agility, balance, vision, skill, temperament and everything else can be taught. Give me a team of kids who are disciplined and good learners above anything else.

ned

Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 04:02:23 PM

?

People are born with zero skill. They may have physical traits that help them. Size and speed are the two biggest ones, though even speed can be gained with the right training. Agility, balance, vision, skill, temperament and everything else can be taught. Give me a team of kids who are disciplined and good learners above anything else.

That's Patently wrong. Throughout the history of any sport there have been examples of players who have that wee bit extra, a touch of genius. That cannot be learned.

blewuporstuffed

?

There isn't much on here  I agree with you on Syferus, but you have summed that up well  ;D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 04:10:18 PM

?

That's Patently wrong. Throughout the history of any sport there have been examples of players who have that wee bit extra, a touch of genius. That cannot be learned.
Such as?
How can you say they didn't learn it?
Where did it come from then?
They may have been subjected to a different set of circumstances or a different environment than was typical growing up that aided the development of that skill, but i don't believe that anyone is just born with an innate talent for something.
Like syferus says, physical traits can certainly help, but pretty much everything else can be coached/taught.