Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Does the Armagh Championship have a double knockout feature? How'd Maghery beat them
Twice?

seafoid

Quote from: Puckoon on October 03, 2017, 02:01:15 PM
Does the Armagh Championship have a double knockout feature? How'd Maghery beat them
Twice?
it might be champions league style
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Might be an idea for the mods to close this thread? Obviously the originator won't have the decency to do it.

Owenmoresider

Twice?
Presumably a backdoor system of some kind.

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 01, 2017, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2017, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2017, 10:05:19 AM
Armagh section for this local squabble please.
If Cross are only human the Dubs 1000 year Reich is banjaxed. Kildare should stop whinging.

1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

The Dubs have only won 5...

It's all over .... sure we know that. We only won the u16 championship this year and would give the u21s a fair rattle as we are favourites. Minors lost to very strong favourites Clann Eireann by 1 in yesterday's final with only 5 overage next season. We will be alright. We will win more senior championships in the next ten years than we will lose I reckon.
Thats an exceptional Clann Eireann team that have been dominating from they were under 12.

Rufus T Firefly

Twice?

We have sixteen teams in the Senior Championship (the Championships are aligned to the league).

Round one is eight matches, with the winners progressing to round 2. The four winners in round 2 go through to the quarter-finals and cannot play each other at the quarter-final stage.

The losing eight teams in round one go into the back-door system. The four matches produce four winners who go on to the second round of qualifiers. They cannot play each other at that round. These four teams then are drawn to play the four losing teams from round 2. The winners of these four matches go on to play the undefeated quarter-finalists.

With such relatively small numbers, rematches are not uncommon. We beat St Patricks in round 2 and then faced them again in the quarter-final. Maghery beat Crossmaglen Rangers in Round 2 and then met them again in the semi-finals.

The system is only in place four years and it is fair to say it needs looked at. There is a possibility that it could be done away with totally.

armaghniac

Twice?

it is a special concession to Cross arrogance, negotiated by Joe Kernan himself, that you have to beat them twice otherwise it doesn't count.
This will be changed to 3 times for next year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 03, 2017, 02:40:51 PM
Twice?

We have sixteen teams in the Senior Championship (the Championships are aligned to the league).

Round one is eight matches, with the winners progressing to round 2. The four winners in round 2 go through to the quarter-finals and cannot play each other at the quarter-final stage.

The losing eight teams in round one go into the back-door system. The four matches produce four winners who go on to the second round of qualifiers. They cannot play each other at that round. These four teams then are drawn to play the four losing teams from round 2. The winners of these four matches go on to play the undefeated quarter-finalists.

With such relatively small numbers, rematches are not uncommon. We beat St Patricks in round 2 and then faced them again in the quarter-final. Maghery beat Crossmaglen Rangers in Round 2 and then met them again in the semi-finals.

The system is only in place four years and it is fair to say it needs looked at. There is a possibility that it could be done away with totally.

Thanks Rufus. We've only 16 in Senior as well, but it's still a straight knockout in Tyrone. Was this voted in by clubs or just rolled out by CB?

general_lee

Will there be any retirements in Cross this year? Have they a replacement for big hearty?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Puckoon on October 03, 2017, 03:15:47 PM
Thanks Rufus. We've only 16 in Senior as well, but it's still a straight knockout in Tyrone. Was this voted in by clubs or just rolled out by CB?

To be fair, it was voted in by the Clubs. I recall the night it was debated. I actually stood up and made reference to Rangers' dominance and the fact that they would now get a second chance which would likely underline their dominance and do little for the appeal of the Championship, but the Junior and Intermediate Clubs were persuaded and it was voted in by a comfortable majority.

I get a sense though that there is an increasing groundswell of opinion that would like to see it removed. 

screenexile

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 03, 2017, 03:31:12 PM

To be fair, it was voted in by the Clubs. I recall the night it was debated. I actually stood up and made reference to Rangers' dominance and the fact that they would now get a second chance which would likely underline their dominance and do little for the appeal of the Championship, but the Junior and Intermediate Clubs were persuaded and it was voted in by a comfortable majority.

I get a sense though that there is an increasing groundswell of opinion that would like to see it removed.

There seems to be a shift away from the back door again and back to straight knockout we had it in Derry this year for the first time in a lot of years.

Keyser soze

Quote from: bennydorano on October 03, 2017, 01:16:27 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2017, 01:53:23 PM
The main positive to take out of the Cross defeat is the hope that Joe Brolly might cease making his silly references to Crossmaglen's brilliant football in every other article. Back to the St Brigids under 16's now then.   
Hear hear! He's Keyser Sose'd Cross for long enuf!

Here wtf Dorano, you're messin with the wrong guy!!  ;D

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 10:40:42 AM
Did anyone get hit with a handbag? Any freaks with 9 foot long arms?

What the fcuk are you getting at, you bottom-feeding guttersnipe?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on October 03, 2017, 04:21:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 10:40:42 AM
Did anyone get hit with a handbag? Any freaks with 9 foot long arms?

What the fcuk are you getting at, you bottom-feeding guttersnipe?

:)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on October 03, 2017, 03:38:29 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 03, 2017, 03:31:12 PM

There seems to be a shift away from the back door again and back to straight knockout we had it in Derry this year for the first time in a lot of years.

In its 2nd year now SE.