Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2016, 11:06:27 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2016, 10:16:11 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2016, 01:57:21 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on March 28, 2016, 04:54:29 PM
Great club but Errigal Ciaran with Peter The Great at the helm taught them a lesson or two.  Zero wins for Cross in 5 meetings as I recall!  PTG just loved putting Armagh in their box at club and county level. Struck up a strong bond with the McEntees and Jarlath Burns despite the rivalry.  😀😀😀😀

You gotta love these teams whooping and cheering about beating Cross' for years afterwards, despite having done precisely nothing after that.

In fairness to EC,  we have only lost to 13 teams in 20 years and about 170 championship matches,  they are the only team to have beaten us twice so they are without doubt the greatest team of the last 20 years even though they have never won an AI

Are they better than the best team ever to come out of armagh from the 70s who never won an AI though?

I can't argue against that as I didn't see them play but by all accounts (ok 1 account!) the Francis Street boys are the greatest team of all time and are up there with the great Kerry team, Kilkenny, Barcelona, The Lisbon Lions, Brazil in Mexico 1970, the Micheal Jordan Chicago Bulls team, RM with Puskas and De Stefanio, the All Blacks, and Burt hurling club.

imtommygunn

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2016, 11:13:26 AM
Great club but Errigal Ciaran with Peter The Great at the helm taught them a lesson or two.  Zero wins for Cross in 5 meetings as I recall!  PTG just loved putting Armagh in their box at club and county level. Struck up a strong bond with the McEntees and Jarlath Burns despite the rivalry.  😀😀😀😀

You gotta love these teams whooping and cheering about beating Cross' for years afterwards, despite having done precisely nothing after that.

In fairness to EC,  we have only lost to 13 teams in 20 years and about 170 championship matches,  they are the only team to have beaten us twice so they are without doubt the greatest team of the last 20 years even though they have never won an AI

Are they better than the best team ever to come out of armagh from the 70s who never won an AI though?

I can't argue against that as I didn't see them play but by all accounts (ok 1 account!) the Francis Street boys are the greatest team of all time and are up there with the great Kerry team, Kilkenny, Barcelona, The Lisbon Lions, Brazil in Mexico 1970, the Micheal Jordan Chicago Bulls team, RM with Puskas and De Stefanio, the All Blacks, and Burt hurling club.

;D

EastTyrone

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2016, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2016, 11:13:26 AM

;D

In fairness to EC, if you joined up 3 football clubs, I would like to think you would give it a good shot. Another genius move by Mickey Harte  :o

general_lee

Would Errigal welcome in blow ins?

Smokin Joe

Did Enniskillen Gaels not beat you a couple of times as well BCB?  I lived with a Gaels man in Belfast around 2000 and there was a decent rivalry between them and you and that time.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 30, 2016, 06:55:46 AM

Did Enniskillen Gaels not beat you a couple of times as well BCB?  I lived with a Gaels man in Belfast around 2000 and there was a decent rivalry between them and you and that time.

We played them3 times SJ, we won 2 they won 1. We beat them in the 99 Ulster final when one of us got a very dubious red card for nathin'  ;), we beat the next year in Cross and they beat us in 2001 down in Brewster Park. There was a good rivalry and funny I had a great craic with a few of them at the St Pauls minor tournament before Christmas. They're another club who never really built on their success. They are intermediate now but building a few strong underage teams. Good lads. 

Dinny Breen

Didn't realise the board had it's own Ashley Cole...
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Joe Fitzgerald ha :-)

brokencrossbar1

Changed my aftershave after that one!!

Champion The Wonder Horse

My grey haired mate was in Meaghers ahead of the 2012 All-Ireland final. This chap joined him and his friend and asked if they had any spare tickets. When they replied that they didn't, he said "Why do all the shite clubs get tickets?" When they asked what the individual knew about their club, he said "I'm from crossmaglen, compared with us, every club is shite." Said individual looked like one of the stars of last week's show.

thejuice

On tonight BBC4. Theres not much actual football being shown. Plenty of clips but odd situations in the match. Interesting all the same.

It was quite telling to see the club still going strong while the army barracks looks like this fearful inward looking place. The poor soldier, you wouldn't think he ever served in an army, he looked seriously unwell next to Oisín.

Its a very serious set up it seems. I don't know if other counties clubs take the same approach.

Also I would suggest this alcohol ban thing is nonsense. You can even drink a beer on the same night as you train and it wouldnt affect you. Fair enough have rules but there should be a scientific basis to it. Just cut out excessive drinking and when the body is in recovery.

Also it must be serious fuel for the other clubs in Armagh. You'd be sitting there thinking "would ye listen to these wankers".
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BennyCake

Quote from: thejuice on May 05, 2016, 11:53:59 PM
On tonight BBC4. Theres not much actual football being shown. Plenty of clips but odd situations in the match. Interesting all the same.

It was quite telling to see the club still going strong while the army barracks looks like this fearful inward looking place. The poor soldier, you wouldn't think he ever served in an army, he looked seriously unwell next to Oisín.

Its a very serious set up it seems. I don't know if other counties clubs take the same approach.

Also I would suggest this alcohol ban thing is nonsense. You can even drink a beer on the same night as you train and it wouldnt affect you. Fair enough have rules but there should be a scientific basis to it. Just cut out excessive drinking and when the body is in recovery.

Also it must be serious fuel for the other clubs in Armagh. You'd be sitting there thinking "would ye listen to these w**kers".

They probably are thinking that. They still can't beat them though.

T Fearon

Crossmaglen defeated in tonight's Armagh SFC semi final and unfortunately they did not accept defeat by Champions Maghery very well and initiated a mass brawl at the final whistle.Sad.
However their minors were defeated in the Minor Final today also by Lurgan Clann Eireann so a great day for North Armagh.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2017, 10:27:07 PM
Crossmaglen defeated in tonight's Armagh SFC semi final and unfortunately they did not accept defeat by Champions Maghery very well and initiated a mass brawl at the final whistle.Sad.

The use of language here is inappropriate, the brawl was started an individual or two, not "they".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on September 30, 2017, 11:32:34 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 30, 2017, 11:28:18 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2017, 10:27:07 PM

The use of language here is inappropriate, the brawl was started an individual or two, not "they".
Indeed. Tony, unless every member of Crossmaglen CLG was involved in this, you can't use the collective "they". Ok??

It might be sufficient to show that more than 50% were.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B