Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Black

Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2016, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 23, 2016, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 23, 2016, 12:57:02 PM
I was extremely disappointed with the programme. No real insight into what seperates them from most clubs. Judging them by the documentary they're no different from most clubs with regard players wanting to travel, drink bans being broke etc. Management came across as old school with a passionate bit of roaring and abusing players their methods. Maybe a bit more focus on the troubles may have made it interesting. Problem was they probably didn't want to reveal too much in order to give Ulster opponents a better chance to aet up against them.

Seemed a very joyless setup but can't deny their success. Jamie is a free spirit and was excellent.

Have to agree - I had heard bits and pieces about Clarke in general and when he popped up on the programme I turned to the missus and said heard he's a bit weird!

Felt bad for saying it after I watched the show cause like you said he came across like a good cub that had everything that is good about the game and that seems to be totally lost in todays game!

Considered 'weird' for thinking beyond the borders of Crossmaglen or for what reason

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Captain Black on March 26, 2016, 05:06:01 PM
Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2016, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 23, 2016, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 23, 2016, 12:57:02 PM
I was extremely disappointed with the programme. No real insight into what seperates them from most clubs. Judging them by the documentary they're no different from most clubs with regard players wanting to travel, drink bans being broke etc. Management came across as old school with a passionate bit of roaring and abusing players their methods. Maybe a bit more focus on the troubles may have made it interesting. Problem was they probably didn't want to reveal too much in order to give Ulster opponents a better chance to aet up against them.

Seemed a very joyless setup but can't deny their success. Jamie is a free spirit and was excellent.

Have to agree - I had heard bits and pieces about Clarke in general and when he popped up on the programme I turned to the missus and said heard he's a bit weird!

Felt bad for saying it after I watched the show cause like you said he came across like a good cub that had everything that is good about the game and that seems to be totally lost in todays game!

Considered 'weird' for thinking beyond the borders of Crossmaglen or for what reason
It has been well documented in this parish that a lot of people have taken against Jamie due to the fact that he is a gifted footballer but didn't seem to want to hang around and put it to its best use. As said above, seems like a nice lad who can see beyond the boundaries of Armagh.

Hardy

Jamie is only following the lead of Brokencrossbar who also saw beyond the boundaries of Armagh. As it happened, he didn't much like what he saw and went back again. And who could blame him, when what he saw was Langers everywhere?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2016, 09:13:11 AM
Jamie is only following the lead of Brokencrossbar who also saw beyond the boundaries of Armagh. As it happened, he didn't much like what he saw and went back again. And who could blame him, when what he saw was Langers everywhere?

T'is true but I stayed till I had my job done!! When I left there was nowt left in me in terms of football!

stew

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 27, 2016, 09:52:12 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2016, 09:13:11 AM

T'is true but I stayed till I had my job done!! When I left there was nowt left in me in terms of football!

Aye and a rake of county, Ulster and AI medals in your back pocket, fair play BC.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

supersub

Agree with a few sentiments on here that we didn't really learn anything about Cross from this, it was more of a PR exercise for the village rather than an insight into the football team.

I didn't expect to get a real insight into the Senior team set up - why would they let that happen? Yeh a few shots from the changing rooms, and team meetings etc, but for example Clarke explaining he was going away bit was obviously fabricated for the programme. I doubt that's when the conversation took place. He also came back against Kilcoo, but they made it out as if he was just back for the Ulster Final. More noteable that the absence of Kernans or anything else, was the absence of any single shot or footage from a collective training session. If you are following a team for two years, training is where they are together for 90% of the time - nothing from any of these sessions spoke volumes to me. Fair play to them, a great programme for the purpose they wanted it for. In terms of insight or anyone who thought there would be insight into the camp - no chance!

armaghniac

The BBC did enough hatchet job programmes about Cross, the place, over the years. They owe us a few positive ones, even if not everyone buys the TV licence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on March 28, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
The BBC did enough hatchet job programmes about Cross, the place, over the years. They owe us a few positive ones, even if not everyone buys the TV licence.

Over the Bar

Great club but Errigal Ciaran with Peter The Great at the helm taught them a lesson or two.  Zero wins for Cross in 5 meetings as I recall!  PTG just loved putting Armagh in their box at club and county level. Struck up a strong bond with the McEntees and Jarlath Burns despite the rivalry.  😀😀😀😀

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 28, 2016, 04:54:29 PM
Great club but Errigal Ciaran with Peter The Great at the helm taught them a lesson or two.  Zero wins for Cross in 5 meetings as I recall!  PTG just loved putting Armagh in their box at club and county level. Struck up a strong bond with the McEntees and Jarlath Burns despite the rivalry.  😀😀😀😀

Keeps us all awake at night so it does. No amount of AIs will ever replace the disappointment!

armaghniac

You gotta love these teams whooping and cheering about beating Cross' for years afterwards, despite having done precisely nothing after that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2016, 01:34:07 AM

Keeps us all awake at night so it does. No amount of AIs will ever replace the disappointment!

Reminds me of the story I heard about the YAW in a pub in Dublin, who walks up to Brian O'Driscoll and says I have the one thing you can never have. BOD says 'what's that?' The YAW shows him some metal hanging around his neck and says 'a Schools Junior Cup medal'.

(Edit: of course this may be a R O'C-K story or something similar)

MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2016, 01:57:21 AM

You gotta love these teams whooping and cheering about beating Cross' for years afterwards, despite having done precisely nothing after that.

In fairness to EC,  we have only lost to 13 teams in 20 years and about 170 championship matches,  they are the only team to have beaten us twice so they are without doubt the greatest team of the last 20 years even though they have never won an AI

LeoMc

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2016, 10:16:11 AM

In fairness to EC,  we have only lost to 13 teams in 20 years and about 170 championship matches,  they are the only team to have beaten us twice so they are without doubt the greatest team of the last 20 years even though they have never won an AI
Good job you qualified that or Tony would have been after you.

imtommygunn

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2016, 10:16:11 AM

Are they better than the best team ever to come out of armagh from the 70s who never won an AI though?