Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on March 23, 2016, 07:15:58 AM
Let's also not forget Clan Na Gael (three times in a row from 72-74) and Mullaghbawn,both from Armagh,won Ulster club titles before Crossmaglen did.
And people won Wimbledon before Federer. So what ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on March 23, 2016, 07:15:58 AM
Let's also not forget Clan Na Gael (three times in a row from 72-74) and Mullaghbawn,both from Armagh,won Ulster club titles before Crossmaglen did.

Let's not forget that we won the AI 1,2,3,4,5,6 times and no one else in the county has!!!!  We owe a great debt of gratitude to Mullaghbawn,  they can proudly say that as a club, and Benny Tierney in particular, created the monster,  Thanks Mullaghbawn!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 22, 2016, 11:52:27 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 22, 2016, 11:42:21 PM
It is very difficult to see how Crossmaglen's catchment area could be considered to be on the small side. Cross is a town with a decent population, and, uniquely in the north, is entirely nationalist but has no hurling or soccer presence. It is an outstanding club, with a fantastic record not only of playing success but maintaining proper standards, and it has made the most of its natural advantages along the way.

I take it Joe Pilkington and Cartwheel are gone then. I mind trying to chase Jim McConville when he played outside left for them in the late 80s.

Pinkie is gone but the club still fields with the majority of the lads playing ex Cross players or current junior players,  the odd time a few of the senior lads would have togged out.

I'd say we have max 2000 available to us.  As has been said if you drive 1 mile south you have Culloville,  1 mile SW and you have St Malachys in Sheelagh, 2 mile north and you're into Creggan which is mostly Silverbridge people (with a sprinkling of the odd Cross Man :P)  3-4 miles NE and you're into Cullyhanna territory.  3-4 miles SE and you're bordering on Toome in Monaghan.  As someone said we have a decent pick but we make the most of our resources and that is really the key.  We also don't lose many from underage to senior the way other clubs do,  partly due to success breeding success but also there has always been a fierce sense of loyalty within the club which just gets stronger each year.

illdecide

Look i'm a Clan na Gael man and would never mention my club in this thread as it has nothing to do with Clan na Gael. It's not about who suffered most and who was a better team, it was different era's and is impossible to compare. Crossmaglen have the titles and there can't even be an argument but one thing i will say on our defence when the Clans played in the All Ireland Club final they played a college team who had 15 Inter County players and subs playing a club team. The GAA soon changed the rules stating College/County footballers should not be playing in the club Championship.

Main Street what is your problem with people from Lurgan?

P.S. Tony Fearon is not a Lurgan man
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: Main Street on March 22, 2016, 06:44:37 PM
I have never heard of the  Lurgan gaels,
Who would want to watch a documentary about the Lurgan Unknowns, compared to one about the world famous Crossmaglen?

how very dare you!  ;)

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2016, 06:33:41 PM
Saw nothing special about this. Could have been any GAA club anywhere.If the BBC wants to make a doc about an Armagh club being successful against all odds they should feature the Lurgan Clan na Gael club who in the mid 70s got to the AI Club Final with players all born in and around Lurgan's Francis Street,and were situated within N Armagh's notorious sectarian murder triangle in the darkest days of the troubles.

And is there a like of Dairy farmers and creameries in the Dublin area to the extent that "Ernie" Hearty has to load up his van full of milk for Dublin everyday?
It's a pity Portadown Gaels couldn't muster a bit of the Cross spirit instead of falling out with each other, a bit of the green eyed monster Tony?

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2016, 07:03:50 PM
That's the problem.The Lurgan Clan Na Gael team in the mid 70s powered on by Jimmy Smyth,Colm Mc Kinstry,Jim Mc Kerr,the O'Hagans etc were the best Armagh club side I ever saw and reached an All Ireland Final over twenty years before Crossmaglen

Are they the 'greats' who got absolutely hockeyed by Dublin in 1977 All Ireland final?  ::)

ziggysego

Why was there no mention of the defeat by the mighty Greencastle of Tyrone in the documentary? It was during that period, March 2015.
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Quote from: ziggysego on March 23, 2016, 11:52:37 AM
Why was there no mention of the defeat by the mighty Greencastle of Tyrone in the documentary? It was during that period, March 2015.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ziggysego

Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2016, 11:58:02 AM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

All-Ireland Club Champions 2007 boyo ;)
Testing Accessibility

longballin

Quote from: ziggysego on March 23, 2016, 11:59:08 AM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is that Greencastle, Donegal or Greencastle in Tyrone?  ;)

mrdeeds

I was extremely disappointed with the programme. No real insight into what seperates them from most clubs. Judging them by the documentary they're no different from most clubs with regard players wanting to travel, drink bans being broke etc. Management came across as old school with a passionate bit of roaring and abusing players their methods. Maybe a bit more focus on the troubles may have made it interesting. Problem was they probably didn't want to reveal too much in order to give Ulster opponents a better chance to aet up against them. 

longballin

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 23, 2016, 12:57:02 PM
I was extremely disappointed with the programme. No real insight into what seperates them from most clubs. Judging them by the documentary they're no different from most clubs with regard players wanting to travel, drink bans being broke etc. Management came across as old school with a passionate bit of roaring and abusing players their methods. Maybe a bit more focus on the troubles may have made it interesting. Problem was they probably didn't want to reveal too much in order to give Ulster opponents a better chance to aet up against them.

Seemed a very joyless setup but can't deny their success. Jamie is a free spirit and was excellent.

ziggysego

Quote from: longballin on March 23, 2016, 12:24:02 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 23, 2016, 11:59:08 AM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is that Greencastle, Donegal or Greencastle in Tyrone?  ;)

I noted which in the original post for pedantic boys like you.
Testing Accessibility

WT4E

Quote from: longballin on March 23, 2016, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 23, 2016, 12:57:02 PM

Seemed a very joyless setup but can't deny their success. Jamie is a free spirit and was excellent.

Have to agree - I had heard bits and pieces about Clarke in general and when he popped up on the programme I turned to the missus and said heard he's a bit weird!

Felt bad for saying it after I watched the show cause like you said he came across like a good cub that had everything that is good about the game and that seems to be totally lost in todays game!