Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

It is very difficult to see how Crossmaglen's catchment area could be considered to be on the small side. Cross is a town with a decent population, and, uniquely in the north, is entirely nationalist but has no hurling or soccer presence. It is an outstanding club, with a fantastic record not only of playing success but maintaining proper standards, and it has made the most of its natural advantages along the way.

armaghniac

Quote from: JimStynes on March 22, 2016, 11:03:12 PM
What sort of numbers would cross have to pick from? It seems a big enough area for a rural club. Kilcoo, Ballinderry etc aren't very big places.

The Crossmaglen conurbation had 1600 in the last census and add 500-600 more in and around. Not a huge area as there a 3 other clubs in the parish.  Probably more to pick from than Kilcoo or Slaughtneil, but about average in the bigger picture.

There is soccer, pubs etc like everywhere else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 22, 2016, 11:42:21 PM
It is very difficult to see how Crossmaglen's catchment area could be considered to be on the small side. Cross is a town with a decent population, and, uniquely in the north, is entirely nationalist but has no hurling or soccer presence. It is an outstanding club, with a fantastic record not only of playing success but maintaining proper standards, and it has made the most of its natural advantages along the way.

I take it Joe Pilkington and Cartwheel are gone then. I mind trying to chase Jim McConville when he played outside left for them in the late 80s.
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Quote from: mackers on March 22, 2016, 09:01:35 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 22, 2016, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2016, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2016, 07:03:50 PM
That's the problem.The Lurgan Clan Na Gael team in the mid 70s powered on by Jimmy Smyth,Colm Mc Kinstry,Jim Mc Kerr,the O'Hagans etc were the best Armagh club side I ever saw and reached an All Ireland Final over twenty years before Crossmaglen

Interesting... How in Gods name could a team that lost an All Ireland Final be better than a team that has won 6 All Irelands 11 Ulsters and God knows how many Armagh titles in the last 20 years!!

The point is that Clan Na Gael had their own challenges in the 1970s, and which were arguably more difficult than that experienced in XMG.
Please stop using this term.  The only people I have heard calling Crossmaglen this were the British Army (as per the sign inside the barracks shown on the programme last night).

Fair enough. But if I recall correctly, the term was first seen on graffiti on a wall politely inviting the occupying force to go back home. That was before the brits scribbled it on a wall inside their barracks.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Did anyone see a young gangly brokencrossbar in the progamme?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on March 23, 2016, 12:29:59 AM
That's the problem.The Lurgan Clan Na Gael team in the mid 70s powered on by Jimmy Smyth,Colm Mc Kinstry,Jim Mc Kerr,the O'Hagans etc were the best Armagh club side I ever saw and reached an All Ireland Final over twenty years before Crossmaglen

Interesting... How in Gods name could a team that lost an All Ireland Final be better than a team that has won 6 All Irelands 11 Ulsters and God knows how many Armagh titles in the last 20 years!!

The point is that Clan Na Gael had their own challenges in the 1970s, and which were arguably more difficult than that experienced in XMG.
Please stop using this term.  The only people I have heard calling Crossmaglen this were the British Army (as per the sign inside the barracks shown on the programme last night).

Fair enough. But if I recall correctly, the term was first seen on graffiti on a wall politely inviting the occupying force to go back home. That was before the brits scribbled it on a wall inside their barracks.
Nothing to stop a determined admirer with video skills from making a documentary about the exploits of Lurgan gaa in the dark '70´s.
Why whine in vain like Tony does, about some some Brit BBC  not  coming and doing it all for you,as you bask in some historical nostalgia about the hard old times.
Or what is the point about  this "I have suffered more than you" all about?
Do lurganites just react without an actual thought process intervening first, some kind of  instinctive monty pythonesque yorkshire hardship sketch, get together.
This has to be one of the most stupid interventions ever in a thread.

ziggysego

It's just Tony snipping because Crossmaglen put their club before his beloved county team and Jamie Clarke dare dreams of a life outside of football.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Was not the main theme of the documentary about Crossmaglen the historic hardship they faced and overcome?

T Fearon

No but I frequently bump into the old gangly brokencrossbar nowadays

T Fearon

Let's also not forget Clan Na Gael (three times in a row from 72-74) and Mullaghbawn,both from Armagh,won Ulster club titles before Crossmaglen did.

imtommygunn

What is your problem with crossmaglen?

Not sure how you can say another team is comparable when they don't even have one ai.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on March 23, 2016, 12:57:10 AM
Quote from: Orior on March 23, 2016, 12:29:59 AM

Nothing to stop a determined admirer with video skills from making a documentary about the exploits of Lurgan gaa in the dark '70´s.
Why whine in vain like Tony does, about some some Brit BBC  not  coming and doing it all for you,as you bask in some historical nostalgia about the hard old times.
Or what is the point about  this "I have suffered more than you" all about?
Do lurganites just react without an actual thought process intervening first, some kind of  instinctive monty pythonesque yorkshire hardship sketch, get together.
This has to be one of the most stupid interventions ever in a thread.

No we don't. I thought it was a great show to be honest and really enjoyed it. As for how good Clan Na Gael were in the 70s, Im not that bothered as Clann Eireann were my club before I moved to England

seafoid

Quote from: hardstation on March 22, 2016, 10:40:54 PM
There's better documentaries about Dublin clubs.
They don't knw how to make documentares in Armagh. I played in 15 documentaries. I know stuff you wil never know about arrogance and hubris. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

Quote from: Armamike on March 22, 2016, 04:40:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2016, 08:07:14 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-crossmaglen-rangers-a-gaa-community-that-stood-up-to-the-british-34555608.html
Oisín: Wasn't it great to stick the two fingers up to them and say regardless what you do, you can land your helicopters on our pitch, you can build your barracks on top of us, you can throw our clothes and our bags out on the street when you search our cars on the way to training. . . Wasn't it great to say to them, 'But f**k youse, we're gonna win an All-Ireland anyway.'

Oisin swiped that from Braveheart.

Thought that bit was a bit cringey, its not a world title or nothing therefore to the Brits I'm sure they weren't overly impressed with Crossmaglen winning some cup in a sport they probably saw as no more than a local pastime.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 23, 2016, 08:51:47 AM
Quote from: Armamike on March 22, 2016, 04:40:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2016, 08:07:14 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-crossmaglen-rangers-a-gaa-community-that-stood-up-to-the-british-34555608.html
Oisín: Wasn't it great to stick the two fingers up to them and say regardless what you do, you can land your helicopters on our pitch, you can build your barracks on top of us, you can throw our clothes and our bags out on the street when you search our cars on the way to training. . . Wasn't it great to say to them, 'But f**k youse, we're gonna win an All-Ireland anyway.'

Oisin swiped that from Braveheart.

Thought that bit was a bit cringey, its not a world title or nothing therefore to the Brits I'm sure they weren't overly impressed with Crossmaglen winning some cup in a sport they probably saw as no more than a local pastime.
I think it's more about identity. NI is supposed to be British
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU