Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

The scene with the x british army lad was great viewing. You could see Oisin was doing that interview against his will a little bit. The fact that the army lad came across as a bit of a naive twit made it uncomfortable viewing. I'd say he fully believes he is in the UK when he is in Crossmaglen.

I presume Crossmaglen GAA got a bit of a wedge of cash for that?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

general_lee

Quote from: highorlow on March 22, 2016, 10:30:14 AM
The fact that the army lad came across as a bit of a naive twit made it uncomfortable viewing. I'd say he fully believes he is in the UK when he is in Crossmaglen.
You'd wanna be a twit to believe that

ThroughTheLaces

Any chance of seeing it anywhere other than iplayer?
The apple never falls far from the tree.

armaghniac

The scene with the x british army lad was great viewing. You could see Oisin was doing that interview against his will a little bit. The fact that the army lad came across as a bit of a naive twit made it uncomfortable viewing. I'd say he fully believes he is in the UK when he is in Crossmaglen.

yer man didn't seem to have reflected much on things. Oisin was quite perceptive when he pointed out that yer man had been cannon fodder, I subsequently watched Michael Portillo on RTE+1 and then Insurrection (a good night's TV including the Michael Cusack programme on RTE) where you had a similar thing going on 100 years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2016, 11:04:14 AM

yer man didn't seem to have reflected much on things. Oisin was quite perceptive when he pointed out that yer man had been cannon fodder, I subsequently watched Michael Portillo on RTE+1 and then Insurrection (a good night's TV including the Michael Cusack programme on RTE) where you had a similar thing going on 100 years ago.

I thought it was the soldier who highlighted that him and the other soldiers were simply objects that those in charge had no sentiment for. 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lfdown2

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 22, 2016, 10:57:39 AM

It's on BBC2 tomorrow night around 11:30

Applesisapples

I thought Jamie Clarke gave as succinct an answer to the carping of Tony and like minded Armagh fans as is possible. The bottom line is in all clubs and counties you will have the obsessive (and Cross have more than a few), but ultimately to many football or hurling is about fun, enjoyment and community and Clarke seems to be one of these. Sadly many clubs have lost sight of this, you need to cater for all from the obsessives to those playing for the fun of it. I actually admire the obsessives, having been one myself and can understand the frustrations that Clarke's approach can cause but at the end of the day it is only sport it doesn't save lives or put bread on the table (for most). This programme was great viewing but left me wanting more.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 22, 2016, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 22, 2016, 10:57:39 AM

It's on BBC2 tomorrow night around 11:30

Sorry should have said...in Oz :-\
The apple never falls far from the tree.

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 22, 2016, 11:42:32 AM
I thought Jamie Clarke gave as succinct an answer to the carping of Tony and like minded Armagh fans as is possible. The bottom line is in all clubs and counties you will have the obsessive (and Cross have more than a few), but ultimately to many football or hurling is about fun, enjoyment and community and Clarke seems to be one of these. Sadly many clubs have lost sight of this, you need to cater for all from the obsessives to those playing for the fun of it. I actually admire the obsessives, having been one myself and can understand the frustrations that Clarke's approach can cause but at the end of the day it is only sport it doesn't save lives or put bread on the table (for most). This programme was great viewing but left me wanting more.

I agree with you, but how does clubs cater for all types? You either train a few times a week and get a game, or you don't. Gone are the days when you just turn up with your boots slung over your shoulder. You couldn't even do that with a reserve team these days.

The GAA constantly talk about those between 18-21 lost to the game, and while that's true, so many others up to mid 30s are lost too. The types that are working long hours, commuting, have families etc and can't commit to 2/3 nights a week. Who's catering for these fellas, the fellas that just want to turn up on a Sunday morning and play a game with their mates and enjoy the craic?

Applesisapples

Thats the conundrum, a start is realising that not all club players will be obsessive, I'd say Jamie training 3 nights a week would be better than many training 6. I'm not suggesting lads just turn up, that would be asking for injuries, they do need to train, but lets try and get the enjoyment back.

general_lee

Clubs up and down the country have players like Jamie. Ok he's exceptionally talented - but I mean fellas who would walk onto the team, be a key player but for one reason or another move on be it uni, work, travel etc. They might not share the same die hard commitment that the "obsessives" do and therefore might not mind as much if football isn't the centre of their lives. If your average division 1 club player took JC's approach he'd at best not get his place back or at worst be told to sod off

Taylor

Either that or there were 'eyes' in the pub and the 2 boyos were using the mates as a bluff.
Fly boys up round cross.
The cute hoors of the North

longballin

Kernans kept low profile in that programme. Was like a curate's egg, good in parts.

johnneycool

Quote from: general_lee on March 22, 2016, 01:07:46 PM
Clubs up and down the country have players like Jamie. Ok he's exceptionally talented - but I mean fellas who would walk onto the team, be a key player but for one reason or another move on be it uni, work, travel etc. They might not share the same die hard commitment that the "obsessives" do and therefore might not mind as much if football isn't the centre of their lives. If your average division 1 club player took JC's approach he'd at best not get his place back or at worst be told to sod off

Would most clubs not have a junior or B team where the less likely to train can show their wares and still enjoy the game for what it is, a bit of craic and leave the serious stuff up to the seniors?

general_lee

Quote from: johnneycool on March 22, 2016, 02:25:32 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 22, 2016, 01:07:46 PM

Would most clubs not have a junior or B team where the less likely to train can show their wares and still enjoy the game for what it is, a bit of craic and leave the serious stuff up to the seniors?
I'm talking about the senior standard players with a not so Senior  standard attitude